“Wow - This your place for phenomenal food in North End”

Trattoria Il Panino
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Il Panino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 3,329 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: Hanover Street
Transit: Government Center on the Green Line
Description: Traditional casual italian dining
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Went here with our two kids (4 and 6) and got a table on the early side at 6:30.

If you're looking for a trendy, modern styled chic place, this isn't for you. If you're looking for phenomenal food from a place that's been around for 25 years, where there are only 6 tables in the main dining room (more downstairs), this will be your personal heaven.

Lucked into the front table right by the open window. Maria, our server, was fantastic - welcoming, warm, and very helpful with the menu. The calamari was the freshest i've eaten in a very long time, soft and flavorful. My wife had the special risotto - risotto with oranges, asparagus, shrimp - phenomenal. I had the Linguine Frutti di Mare - shellfish was fresh, sauce was light with fresh cooked cherry tomatoes. Daughter had the Tortellini with prosciutto in cream sauce, which was the best dish of the lot - incredible.

Decent wine selection, a few good chianti's so what else do you really need.

We were sad we don't live in Boston full time, but glad we don't because we'd be at this restaurant every week and weigh 300 pounds.

this restaurant felt like home - like your italian grandmother cooking you gourmet italian.

Enjoy!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The food at the restaurant is great Italian. I had the pesto and it was delicious although the sauce was very creamy. My brother ordered the cheese ravioli and it was fantastic. The restaurant is small and in an awkward space with a tiny main room a patio area and a downstairs dining room. Overall the experience at the restaurant was great and I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

terribly bad food, decent service, except for the girl filling our water glasses. she insured unsanitary conditions by touching the rim of each patron's glass with the water pitcher. the complimentary bread arrived cold and tasteless. meatballs tasted unrecognizable. our gracious server swapped baby shrimp with full sized, from the daily risotto special, but taste was lacking. apparently, dousing it in parmesan cheese doesn't help. oh, and the eggplant... fahgettabout? no just forget about it. it arrived crusty with a nasty pungent sauce. How does this place stay in business? unwitting tourists like you and me, but at least now you know.

1  Thank LivingAtlas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I came to "Trattoria il Panino" on recommendation of a friend. I've had many good meals on the North End but the meal and all over experience here was excellent.

I made a reservation on OpenTable.com, we were promplty seated at the time we reserved. It happened to be the most perfect weather in Boston on Saturday and we were seated outside on the patio. Our server was from Italy and just delightful, she was attentive and very friendly and even offered to fill our waterbotles that we had been carrying around during the day.

We started our meal with a cold glass of Prosecco, I ordered the "Tortelli Panne e Prosciutto" it comes served in a pan and the pasta was so fresh and the cream sauce so light I took my time to make sure I could enjoy and finish every bite. My Aunt ordered the "Vitello Saltimbocca", I tried a bite despite my personal reservations about eating veal and well, I was not disappointed it was finished with prosciutto, sage and fontina cheese, all I can say is YUM.

The food was fresh and amazing, the atmosphere made me think I was back in Italy the entire time and we were not rushed and able to enjoy our second glasses of wine without being stared down for our table.

All in all it was a magical night and I cannot wait to return with more family and friends!

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Other reviewers complaining about the small size of this restaurant dont appreciate that is part of its charm. But there is considerably more space on the patio during summer, which also has a lot of charm. Anyway, food is excellent (we had risotto and raviolli). There is a really nice wine list as well. Wait staff was pleasant enough although it took a while for them to acknowledge us. Really like that this place is family owned.