“Nice dining experience”
Review of Ristorante Toscano

Ristorante Toscano
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Toscano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Cross street: Mt. Vernon/ Chestnut
Transit: Red Line MGH/Charles St. station.
Description: Nestled among the antique shops, boutiques and cafes along Beacon Hill's famous Charles Street, Toscano restaurant remains a staple of Boston's oldest neighborhood.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This white table cloth Italian restaruant is located in Beacon Hill. The staff was very courteous and attenteive.

We ate during restaurant week, so they had a set menu, if you wished, that was $38. A very good deal in comparison to there normal dinner pricing. The meal was nicely presented and was very good. While I would have no issue visiting again, I do not classify this as a "to die for" type of restaurant.

I'll put it this way, if you are on expense account or being taken out, this is an impressive place. If I am spending my own money - probably not going to spend the dollars here. Too many fantastic options in Boston.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a lovely place to enjoy an authentic Italian meal in the Back Bay. The menu and wine list are extensive. It's a great place fo ran elegant meal.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The food at Toscano is good and the portions are decent. The ambiance is also very nice along with its location right on Charles Street in Beacon Hill. With hundreds of restaurants to choose from, there are many places that match up with good food and ambiance, which makes the combination not much of a rarity. What makes the difference between a great restaurant and all the rest is service. With that said, the service at this restaurant is among the worst I've ever experienced. I'm not talking about the wait time for food or a server who doesn't have adequate menu knowledge. I'm talking about a lack of understanding of the fundamentals of taking care of the guest and satisfying his/her needs, the lack of emotional intelligence, and above all the lack of professionalism.
Here is a summary of what happened. A couple (with a child) was seated right next to us. The hostess mentioned to the server that they were good friends of hers and that they need to be well taken care of. The manager also stopped by to greet the table as he evidently knew them as well. That’s great that they take care of their friends. However, the child pulled out a mini iPad or similar video device, propped it up and began playing videos at a volume level loud enough to disrupt the mood, ambiance and conversation. Toscano isn’t a Denny’s so it was a surprise to us that the staff at this restaurant would even allow their friends’ child to play videos during dinner while surrounded by other guests.
Overall this wasn’t what prompted me to write this review. Instead, it was the way in which we were treated after I requested that we be moved to another table. The demeanor of our server and the manager quickly changed. It was quite evident that we were now an irritation to them and facilitating a table change was not something they were at all happy to be doing. In fact, the manager himself told me he wasn’t going to ask them to turn the video off, which was fine I was OK with being moved. After 20 minutes the manager pointed to the new table. We were not offered assistance with our still full water and wine glasses and were tasked to carry them ourselves. There were no apologies at all. Also, the waiter somehow forgot to acknowledge us in any way other than bringing us our check and checking back multiple times until we were finally rushed out. After we sat ourselves at the new table I could clearly see the manager and server pointing at us with other staff members while scowling/frowning. I could not hear what they were discussing but their body language was quite clear. Upon departure there were no thank you’s, goodbyes or even eye contact. After spending $140 for 2 people I would have thought they would at least been able to fake it.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not really worth the reputation... It was only pasta we had, after all !
We were grateful to have been placed by the bar, although the standard of the food was average at best, and one of the waiters/barstaff took it upon himself to push deserts whilst we had just started eating out main course - his persistence became a nuisance.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We are from NYC where we have truly exceptional restaurants. I must state this Italian restaurant was truly a wonderful place. The food was excellent and Danny, our waiter, was superb. Boston can also claim to have great Italian food.