“Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful”
Review of Ristorante Toscano

Ristorante Toscano
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Toscano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Cross street: Mt. Vernon/ Chestnut
Transit: Red Line MGH/Charles St. station.
Description: Nestled among the antique shops, boutiques and cafes along Beacon Hill's famous Charles Street, Toscano restaurant remains a staple of Boston's oldest neighborhood.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is absolutely the best Italian restaurant in Boston. The food is always top notch. This is the place we go to whenever my wife and I want to eat Italian food.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great for a Special Ocassion”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went here before the Holiday Boston Pops concert. Never been before. But was it superb!!! When we arrived, due to heavy traffic, we were an hour late for our reservation. They, of course, had given our table away. But the host was more than accomodating to us and sat us within 5 minutes of arrival. The waiter was extremely helpful in our wine selection. We are not wealthy people but do enjoy a nice bottle of wine. I gave the waiter our price point and the wine he suggested was wonderful. The filet was, well words can't describe how, flavorful it was. Although the meal came with potato and vegetable. I ordered a side of mushroom risotto so I could use it to trap the sauce. The veal chop special was as tender, if not, even more so than the filet!! No room for dessert so can't even comment. Will definitely return. As I mentioned, this was part of a special night, and holiday gift. But because it was the holiday season. We sat in a room with three other tables that had couples and one table of 10 people. That made the space a little loud. My only suggestion would be that the find a better balance when seating. The bill will be up there for cost but I would pay it again!

• Visited December 2012
longbeach
“Delicious Italian food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Recently spent a few nights in Boston, read about this place and then sitting in a local pub one of the patrons told us,"the best Italian food in the city in on Charles St., Ristorante Toscano. He was correct. You need reservations, but it is worth the wait. Food was fresh, well presented and the place has a very cozy atmosphere, even though it's not that small. Try it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“toscano”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Toscano is located in Beacon Hill, a skip & a hop from the Commons. I had been once before, without even realizing they would be the highest rated T-restaurant in the Boston area. With a large menu filled with plates of all sizes, Toscano delivers a great amount of quality food for the low prices.

You enter the long hallway and are greeted with a full bar of happy people, walk through the dining room past the floor to ceiling wooden sliding doors to your table. Each table seats four, creating a master dining effect if only eating with one other guest!

We spread our belongings out, ordered our peach billinis, and settled into our large squishy chairs to wait for our orders to arrive. As we were waiting, we noticed we were yet again the youngest patrons by another 25 years. The bar area appeared younger, but apparently no one was hungry at the early hour we decided to dine!

I went with the Funghi di Bosco, a thin crust pizza with wild mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, thyme, tomato & olive oil. It is listed near the appetizers, so I think the point may be to share, but I'm all set keeping it for myself! The massive pizza shown below is a mere $14, and is enough for a large dinner, or leftovers for lunch.

My date chose the Tagliatelle Gamberi, tagliatelle in a white wine sauce with chopped shrimp, tomato, and red chili. She reported this was delicious, as she also had no problem finishing the dish!

Despite the tasty dishes and super affordable prices, the only negative that I have now experienced twice is the fact that the waitstaff all awkward congregate outside of the kitchen hallway, right in the front of the dining room to talk and watch the diners. This may be due to the early time slot I may eat sometimes, but it always manages to make me as well as my dates uncomfortable. Other than this small ambiance glitch, I always manage to have a nice meal and not feel ripped off as I could in other restaurants in the area.

Toscano is opening a second location in Harvard Square which is slated to open in the winter of 2013. Something to look forward to!

more here: http://molltk3.blogspot.com/2012/12/boston-restaurants-t.html

• Visited December 2012
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Service was good, food was ok”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

To begin in full disclosure, I worked at Toscano, when Vinnicio owned the restaurant back in 1991, he was a great chef. This return many years later found a very nice remodeled setting compared to back then, although I don't see the value in the window to the sloppy, and crowded kitchen.
Our party of 4 arrived after a show on a thursday night around 9:30, and were seated promptly. It was not crowded. Our waiter did a good job overall once he realized that although we would not be drinking we would make up for it on the amount of food we tried.

The following were appetizers we tried:

The eggplant appetizer lacked creativity, although it was tasty
The Carpaccio was very good, although they put the truffle oil on it without asking, I believe it was an option on the menu, and would have preferred it without it
The Vitello Tonnato was good
The Sausage with Broccoli Rabe was uneventful
The Bruschetta was dry, (although I prefer simple preparations), a bit more Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and a touch of vinegar would have livened it up

We all shared 2 orders of pasta

The Tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms, was undercooked, and not stirred properly during cooking, it was fused together. I did question whether the porcini mushrooms were actually fresh, and the waiter assured they were, but the watery taste, and texture makes me believe they were reconstituted dry mushrooms

The Rigatoni with smoked bacon was good

The entrees included an average Ceasar salad
The Tutto Pepe that was cooked perfectly to order, and was tasty, but lacked the richness in the sauce that a deglaze of good brandy provides
The Veal Milanese was very good, and tender. I would have topped it with extra virgin olive oil, and lemon in the kitchen rather than leaving it up to the guest who might not do so. That's just how I like it though.
The Chicken Toscano was also uneventful

We skipped desert, and did leave a 40% tip, because I've been on that end.

I would not recommend paying the prices for the average food they are providing though