“Food amazing, terrible service”

Addis Red Sea Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #1,433 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South End
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I would still give this 3 stars because the food is awesome and cheap, but the service knocks off a solid 2 stars.

Too much waiting around for checks, food, and waters. When the water came, it was spilled. I guess isolated incidents can't really speak much for the restaurant as a whole, but I am going back tonight to retry. Will update review after!

1  Thank Shams A

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went to Addis Red Sea based on the previous trip advisor reports. We were not dissapointed and you won't be either. This restaurant was one of the highlites of our recent Boston vacation. To start with, the restaurant is a little hard to find (It is on the lower level of the building), about a one mile walk from the Boston Public Gardens, no "T" near by, but plenty of buses. The neighborhood is a beautiful area of brownstones, shops and many restaurants that we enjoyed walking through after dinner to get to the "T".
When we walked in to Addis, the first thing we noticed was a smell of incense. The smell was wonderful and set the mood. The tables and chairs are all low to the ground, some of the chairs have backs, and some are stools with pads. The art is beautiful. At this restaurant be prepared to eat with your hands, no silverware to be had. We are a family of four, two adults and two kids, ages 10 and 12. We ordered an appetizer (Dibulbul Tips) along with three entrees. One chicken(Doro Wot), one lamb (Yegeb Alcha) and one beef (Kitfo). We tried to order three different flavors without ordering anything spicy (My wfe is very sensitive to spicy food), we were successfull. The lamb was cubed and sauteed in ginger with a brown sauce, the chicken was a little spicy, it was dark meat sauteed in a slightlyu spicy marinade. The beef we ordered was the steak tartar, it was supposed to be spicy, but they made it non-spicy upon our request. The food comes out on a large tray, placed on ethiopian bread. You use the bread to eat the food with and to soak up the excess sauce. They will give you more bread, just ask.
The menu shows a nice selection of Ethipoian beer and wine, but unfortunately they were out of the beer, and only had the sweet wine. The wine was excellent. For soda, they serve Coca Cola products, no Pepsi (Yay!!). All in all, this meal was outstanding, a great value for the money and gives you an authentic taste of Ethiopia.

1  Thank luron
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Important: they open at 5pm during week day...

One of the best Ethiopian restaurant I've been to...

Great food, ambiance and service...

They have the traditional tables and delicious authentic food...

A real must if you're not afraid eating with your hands and if you can appreciate food from other countries and different unique taste...

Give them a try !!!

Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Eating ethipian food is always more fun with a group when you can share dishes. The food was very good and reasonably priced.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I'm glad I finally after all these years tried this place but I'm not convinced I'd go again.
The service was a bit slow but OK - they were good about keeping our water glasses filled-and our waitress was pleasant -
I didn't like the uncomfortable wooden chairs and having to lean into the central small round table we shared and I wasn't wild for having to eat with my hand -- I know that's how they do it in Ethiopia but I just wanted a fork and spoon to make things easier-
The food was pretty good we each had the empanada style starters (can't remember the Ethiopian name) the BF tried the one with lentils - I had the other vegetarian one -
For entrees he had the milder cut -up lamb style stew I had the Lamb Wot. The injera bread that it was served on and with was tasty and we left feeling full.
The prices are almost cheap for the South End neighborhood which I think accounted for the majority of the clientel being under age 30 when we were there.
I wish I liked it better because I/we love ethnic food and are very adventurous eaters - but something about the whole experience didn't gel for us. I dunno what it was to be honest
with you -but probably wouldn't go again......