“Excellent”
Review of B & G Oysters

B & G Oysters
Reserve with OpenTable
B & G Oysters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 3,227 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: Waltham
Los Angeles
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Excellent fresh seafood. Great staff and ambiance. Even though it was a very busy evening, the service was perfect, the meal delicious. We ordered the halibut which was made beautifully. Even the fries: not greasy, sprinkle of parsley. Would highly recommend.

Hong Kong
“Just average for the small portions and HIGH prices!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We went here based on a friends recommendation. I had 3 oysters which were very nice and the Lobster Roll (my first in Boston). My daughter had the Striped Bass with grilled asparagus, fava beens and almond gremolata.

We were there for a 5pm dinner because we hadn't eaten lunch and were the only ones in there besides a man at the bar. It seemed to take longer than normal for a waitress to greet us but both of us did take the time to go downstairs to wash our hands. The waitress was helpful answering my questions about the oysters.

I agree with other reviews that for the price ($29) the lobster roll is small. The lobster roll had great flavor and had a lot of lobster and the roll was buttery and the flavors were good with only a hint of lemon zest and not to much mayo. I asked for a side salad instead of fries. The salad was way over dressed and had to much salt (and I like salt). The greens were so oily that they didn't seem fresh and weren't crunchy.

My daughter liked her fish dish and it was a nice piece of fish with a lot of asparagus (shaved and whole for a nice presentation) with a spoon sized amount of a puree on plate. No carb other than the puree and for $30 wasn't a great value.

I had one glass of wine and we didn't order dessert. I doubt I would go back if in Boston again due to the very high prices and the amount of food you get.

• Visited July 2014
Holbrook, New York
“more like a seafood diner”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The food is good but was a little conflicted by the setting. I wouldn't call this a "classic" oyster bar by any stretch. The only part that was classic was the menu. This felt more like a diner and the prices didn't quite reflect that. I appreciated the open kitchen but for high $20/low $30 entrees, I don't want to leave a restaurant smelling like fried food. I wish we sat outside but it didn't look like they could comfortably fit a table of 4. The lobster roll was small for the price and nothing to write home about. I got a much better one at Panera bread recently for less. I get the higher end/ casual restaurant gig but this just missed the mark for me. Decent food, good selection of oysters but an underwhelming experience overall for the kind of hype this place gets.

• Visited July 2014
Austin, Texas
“Nice food, but service needs help.”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Late afternoon drop-in without reservation. No problem getting seat as only 2 other couples inside - but a bit of attitude by seating host. The busboy outside was far more inviting and encouraging. The counter waitress was business-like, but didn't extend herself very much on offering explanations. Oyster shucker needed hygiene lesson.

A bit pricy ($3.20 per for South Bay, $3.45 per for Salt Aire, and $3.75 per for Daisy Bay oysters; glass of Bortolotti $14, glass of Bieler $11).

Prep cook very friendly and shared what we was doing. Also, very attentive in making sure prior prep had prepared suitable, fresh ingredients.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Art G
“Consistently great oysters and seafood dishes”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I've been to B&G about a dozen times over the last two years. With the exception of one seemingly impatient server, my experiences have been consistently excellent. The oysters are dependably fresh and delicious. The wait staff is knowledgable. Everything on the menu from the snap pea salad to the smoked shrimp beignettes is delicious. This has become my choice to take out of towners for seafood. Not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but at least the food is dependably excellent.

• Visited June 2014