“Exceptional oysters and seafood”
Review of B & G Oysters

B & G Oysters
Reserve with OpenTable
B & G Oysters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,292 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South End
Cross street: Waltham
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had 2 dozens of oysters. Very fresh oysters. The 1st dozen was a sampler of all the 12 different kinds of oysters that they had that day. The 2nd dozen was 4 of those that we personally liked. Just exceptional. If one likes oysters, this is a place that one should definitely come for the experience. All the oysters were sourced from different places in Canada and continental US, from Prince Edward Island to Maine to Massachusetts to British Columbia and to Washington. Quite an experience to have so many different tastes of oysters at one spot.

We also had steamed mussels, Atlantic Hake and fish and chips. All the fish and seafood were very fresh and the other ingredients and, most importantly, the sauce and taste worked in harmony with them.

Service was effective and courteous.

Hope that they had more selections on the lunch menu. But they did things right for the things they had on the menu. So, I should not be complaining.

Price-wise, one might say it is on the high side. But I think it was worth it.

Not a lot of floor space and the tables were rather close to each other. It could get noisy, especially if the table next to you spoke loudly. There was bar-seating for about 10 to 12 people. Have not looked at the wine list and just saw it was moderately long.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Before going to Boston, I had read in a website that this was one of the top places to go. I made it a point to make sure I ate here before I left.

Make sure you make a reservation via Opentable!! We made a reservation for 1:15 and within 15 min the place was absolutely packed. Now granted, they had outdoor seating but who wants to sit in the humid heat?!

I had not ordered clam chowder (my fav) yet in Boston. So I decided to order clam chowder. I was with my fiance and they were so nice they split the one order into two bowls for us. Overall this one of the top 2 clam chowders I've had. The other was in Seattle and I refuse to choose which is #1 because they are so different.

This clam chowder was liquidy BUT it had all sorts of different pieces of things inside (bacon, potatoe, etc). At the very top it had (what appeared to be the clam) covered in paprika. So when you mixed it in, it turned the liquid pink. It was absolutely delicious in every way. It was the perfect combination of flavors and texture.

We also decided to order 1 lobster roll. I had not yet eaten a lobster roll, but I was nervous about the mayo. I am NO FAN of mayo. HATE MAYO. So I was a bit anxious when they brought it out to us. And once again, their service is just fantastic! They brought out the lobster roll cut into 2 on two seperate plates loaded with fries. They did not have to do that. They could have just cut it in half and given me an extra plate. That says a lot about their service!

Back to the lobster roll (sorry have a bit of ADD). It was just absolutely amazing. The texture, the taste... just perfect. Did not even taste a hint of mayo. As for the fries they were on the crispy side (not soggy) and were very tasty. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe they had some sort of green herb on them.

Last but not least, my fiance ordered oysters. He ordered 1 of each and absolutely loved every bit of it. They brought out a card indicating which oyster was which in clockwise order. And they were already "shucked" (as he put it). He absolutely loved them (I'm not an oyster person)

This place is every bit pricey but I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! Food was amazing and the service is absolutely exceptional!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went there for some appetizers, oysters and refershments. We called the wrong place so we we arrived without a reservation, the host was less than pleasant. He accomodated us to the outside seating-not bad, but not good either on a day >90 degrees outside. The oysters were excellent-so fresh and delicious. Both raw and fried were great. The calamari was fine as well as the lobster rolls (which were not cheap at almost $30 each!). The total billwas over $160 without a tip for appetizers, lobster rolls (2) and some beer. Great food, but be prepared for a big bill!

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i came here for our anniversary on July 21st. We sat at the bar, it enhances the experience watching the chefs schuck the oysters. We had one of each oyster of the day, they were fantastic. The jumbo shrimp are exactly that, JUMBO, very fresh and delicious. I cant say enough about the salmon tartare it was heaven. My husband had the clam chowder, make sure you break apart the spicy pieces of fish that are in it and dont eat one whole like he did. For dessert we had the chocolate mousse, very salty sweet and light. The server at the bar gave it to us on the house for our anniversary. I would definitely go again next time I am in boston.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

three of us showed up there without a reservation.we had to eat outside despite a temperature of 100 degrees. but we enjoyed everything oysters ,fish all very fresh and delicious.we had a bottled of an excellent Chablis.the staff was great ,we had excellent service and recommendation and good humour even with the very very hot night.
we thought the price reflected the quality we all had in our plate.
so i would recommend this place without any hesitation.

Been to B & G Oysters? Share your experiences!