“Very Good Brunch”
Review of Union Bar and Grille - CLOSED

Union Bar and Grille
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South End
Cross street: Union Park
Transit: Silver Line T Washington Street
Oakland, California
“Very Good Brunch”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stopped in for Sunday brunch on the spur of the moment with friends and had a very good meal. Our omelets were excellent and the corn muffins divine. Service was attentive and friendly.

• Visited February 2012

Boston
“best brunch in Boston!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Sunday brunch is one of my favorite things and over time, I believe I have explored nearly all the brunch options in urban Boston. My favorites are a tie between Hamersley's Bistro (pro: outside patio brunch can't be beat on a nice day, con: pricey) and Union Bar and Grille (pro: overall superb brunch spot, con: none!). I've tried both the more breakfast-y and lunch-y options at Union and every dish has been outstanding. Personal favorites are the huevos rancheros and the cheddar burger. What's more, the decor is really well-done. This is my go-to bruch spot.

San Francisco, California
“Not as good as I remembered it to be”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My wife and I went to Union to celebrate her birthday. As a former Boston native that now lives out of the area, I wanted to treat her to a great Boston neighborhood dinner experience.

- The atmosphere is wonderful and makes for a great place to have a drink. We didn't sit at the bar, but it looks like a really fun place for a cocktail.

Staff
- Very friendly and accomodating.

- We had a very light dinner and split everything. They bring you homemade cornbread and it's the best I've ever had. Unbelievable. We then ordered the green salad. They were nice to split it for us, but they overdressed the salad with vinegar. Not very good. We then ordered the skirt steak. It had great flavor, but was half medium and half rare..almost raw. We ordered medium rare and they didn't hit the mark.

I've been here before and remember it being amazing. My hope is that we were just there on an off night. Even great restaurants have bad nights. so we may be back.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Always on the mark at Union”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The BF and I had an early dinner at Union this week and as always it did not disappoint.
We were there in time to order the pre-theatre dinner menu which offers 3 courses plus a glass of wine all for $ 29.99 . The starter of the brown butter gnocchi was tasty and the BF enjoyed the baked haddock while I found the tri-tip steak to be delicious. The molten chocolate was good and the vanilla creme brulee a big hit.
The service was high level and professional and we went off into the night afterwards feeling that we had been well cared for and of course well fed !

NY
“A bit of style over substance, buoyed by impeccable staff”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Atmosphere and ambience rule for the brunch scene, while the food takes a second seat in this SoWa staple. Having never tried this restaurant for dinner, I opted for an introduction through a Sunday brunch. On a gorgeous, sunny Sunday morning, around 11 AM, we arrive to no line, and a high table-top on the bar side. Shiny and chic circular banquettes of black leather fill the dining room, and a long light fixture over the bar is diffused by a multitude of red shades.

There is the usual group of brunch standards, some given whimsical variations. Never one to turn down a pulled pork offering, even if it is early in the brunch hour, I order their sandwich version, topped with apple bacon slaw and served with a side of chips.

My companion chose the B-52 – French toast with bacon. Reasonable prices abound (and had we gotten there a few minutes earlier, the B-52 would have been part of one of their brunch specials that gets you juice, coffee, coffee cake, and the entrée, for about ten bucks). Even without the special, the prices were pretty decent, mostly falling in the ten to twelve dollar range. In this instance though, you may get what you pay for, as portions are just fair, and the meat of the matter (the pork and the bacon) was on the slight side. That was unfortunate, as the pork was flavored and done quite nicely, and the light spattering of slaw was just pungent enough to stand out. The French toast was thick, but with just two measly slices of bacon, could have been punched up with a heartier helping. As mentioned, nothing was lacking in the taste department, and perhaps it was just the dishes we chose, but for anyone looking for a substantial meal I would suggest ordering a few sides as well.

There was a nifty offering of breakfast cocktails as well, each offering a slight twist on a tried and true staple – the Pomegranate–tinged mimosa or a sunrise sidecar for example – to give those who needed a hair of the dog a little sustenance. The seats at the bar were just emptying as we arrived, and others soon took their place – so if you’re looking for a casual solo meal, this would be an ideal place.

Service was impeccable – prompt, engaging, and courteous – and the wait-staff across the board were welcoming and full of smiles. That bumped it up to four stars even if the portions only merited three-and-a-half.