“Hidden patio with delicious food and excellent service!”
Review of Piattini Wine Cafe

Piattini Wine Cafe
Ranked #135 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Wakefield, Massachusetts
“Hidden patio with delicious food and excellent service!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I took my mother for a day on Newbury Street. We made a reservation and got there early. The patio made for good people watching. The prosciutto appetizer was wonderful. We each got a panini and they came with side salads. You get amazing bread with the meal.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Italian "Tapas"”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

On Newbury Street: The food was excellent. we had four different small pasta and antipasto plates. Plenty for two. Very good wine selection.

Visited July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“Very good sidewalk dining on Newbury St.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We wanted to sit outside for drinks and appetizers on a Saturday evening, but all along Newbury Street each place we stopped required a dinner order for outside. We kept walking and ended up at Piattini, where we'd never been. They didn't have the entree requirement, so we got a wonderful little patio corner table where we could people-watch and enjoy the last of the sun. The appetizers were outstanding and the wine recommendation was excellent. Fast and friendly service. Definitely will go back for a full dinner.

• Visited July 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Surprisingly mediocre”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was disappointed given the reviews I had read for this restaurant. The wine was good, and there is certainly a good selection. Our server however was not of any help in that regard - nice guy - just no knowledge of wine.

For dinner my dining companion and I shared four small plates - two raviolis, a gnocchi, and an order of mussels. The mussels were actually quite good. But the other three were a big disappointment.

The Lobster Ravioli was the best of the three, but was still somewhat bland and nothing special. The other was a veal and sage ravioli in marsala sauce - I was so unimpressed with this one. The filling was pasty in consistency and the marsala sauce was cloying.

The weakest of the lot was a spinach gnocchi. It was so disappointing. I am not a gourmet chef by any means, but making good, fresh pesto is really so simple - even jarred pesto would have been better than this one, it was again so bland that my friend and I were actually puzzled. We asked for grated parm (sort of surprising we had to ask for that), and that helped - but it was still such a lackluster dish.

Perhaps this was on off night, but having so many of the dishes hit such low notes, I doubt I'll try this place again.

• Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great value, ambience and food”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I really enjoyed this lovely little wine restaurant which I happened upon without a reservation. The service was friendly and helpful, the food delicious and delicately flavored (especially the butternut squash ravioli), and the value was impressive. I loved it and would definitely return.

Visited July 2012