“Extravagant food. Extravagant prices.”
Review of Hamersley's Bistro - CLOSED

Hamersley's Bistro
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South End
Cross street: corner of Clarendon and Tremont
Transit: We are close to the Back Bay Station stop on the Orange line and the Copley stop on the Green line.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We got a horrible seat, next to the the server's station, avoid this seat or mention it in your reservation. Someone had told me they're famous for their chicken, and it was everything I was told it was. Delicious and succulent. The service was okay. The ambiance was nice but our table didn't give a view of much beside the waiters punching in orders. I liked the food a lot, we really just got a bad table. I probably won't go again. We had a wonderful night out and a memorable meal. But for $200 for the two of us you can find so many restaurants that are more romantic, cozier, or have just as good of food for a much better price.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hammersley's remains one of the top restaurants in Boston, a true gem. Every dish is amazing, but the roast duck is definitely the best you'll find. The white tablecloth atmosphere and service makes it a perfect place for a romantic night out or an executive dinner. Fabulous dishes, with elegant presentation that isn't too "frufru" to actually be enjoyable. It's my go to restaurant any time I have visitors in town and want to show them "the best of Boston." But seriously, try the duck - it will blow your mind.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

OK, you can't resist it. order the roast chicken. You know you can't resist a dish that's been on Gordon Hamersley's menu since he first opened in Boston's south end god knows how many years ago. It's unbelievably rich and delicious and well worth its reputation. Tonight, however, I resisted its gravitational pull and ordered the halibut which was equally unforgettable. Try the lamb balls ( ground lamb, that is) as a small plate. Use the great bread to collect the sauce. The food is simply spectacular. No ego, no pretention, no condescending waiters. Just a classic, well-run restaurant that endures for good reason. Beautiful yellow dining room that's not too loud , despite the high ceilings and open kitchen. Forget trendy and new. Go for tried and true and fabulous.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were a party of 5 crammed into a table for 4, which was 2 tables pushed together so that 3 people were squished into a space normally meant for 2 and the person in the middle had to sit at the seem of the 2 tables. When we requested another table, we were politely told that there were other tables, but they would all be the same configuration.

Our waiter barely looked at us or interacted with us, and was pretty much absent once our meals were served.

I'm not saying the food was bad; but it was the same meal you might expect to get at any restaurant, only more expensive. For the prices we paid, we expected to be wowed and we definitely were not. We will not go back.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband, son, his wife and I enjoyed a lovely evening of inspired dining at Hamersley Bistro. It was very busy but the service was excellent. Being in a group of four we were able to share our selections, a practice that I highly recommend. The small plates and appetizers were our favorites, especially the marinated olives and the lamb meatballs. Enjoy!