“Maitre d' needs customer service lessons” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abe & Louie's

Abe & Louie's
Reserve with OpenTable
Abe & Louie's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield
Transit: Two blocks from the Copley "T" stop.
Eugene, Oregon
“Maitre d' needs customer service lessons”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We had dinner here 9/18 and were glad we had reservations - it was packed. We first checked in downstairs, and were told to go up. After waiting at the podium quite a while, the maitr d' arrives and tell us we must go to the bar and wait for our 8:15 reservation (we had made it for 8 pm - and it was about 7:50). We could see a 2-top in the window, so asked if we could sit there - "no, that one is taken". So we went to the bar and not only could we not sit down, you couldn't get too close to it because every single person sitting at the bar was eating dinner, and we thought it would be rude to hover over them. So we stood in the middle of the floor for 15 minutes - my husband ordered a martini, I just got water because we had just had drinks and appetizers before we came, plus I HATE when they make you cool your heels in the bar when you have a reservation - they are so obviously trying to squeeze another dime out of you. A little after 8 the same MD comes to seat us...at the very same 2-top that had been empty all along! Now, I understand that you don't want to slam a waiter with too many tables at once, but it just didn't make any sense to make us wait to seat us at the very table he told us was "taken".

Anyway, rant over - food was very good - I loved my NY Strip Steak, DH loved his Beef Wellington (the Thursday special), and we got the "no cream" creamed spinach and we like spinach but this was really just plain...which again made no sense since there was also plain "steamed spinach" on the menu, as well as regular creamed. We thought the "no cream" would be somewhere in between. But it was good. Two-top tables are MUCH too small for the amount of food they serve - we were constantly juggling plates, drinks, bread basket.

Luckily our waiter was nice and funny and made up for the jerk of a maitre d'.

5 Thank Warmwinds

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
“Overhyped - $8.00 for a yam”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

Another overhyped Boston restuarant; $110.00 bill for two without an alchoholic beverage. Food was nothing to rave or rant about; particularly for the cost.

1 Thank Merrymonk
Syracuse, New York
“Dissapointing meal, Tough lobster???”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

My son in law took us to his favorite restaurant, Abe & Louies to celebrate my husbands birthday. I expected something great, but was dissapointed. First, we were taken upstairs to a dining room that was uncomfortably cool. (And we heard other diners remarking on the temperature as well) Our discomfort was brushed off by the mairtre d, who told us "we should be there later in the evening, it would be hot then." In other words, our comfort mattered not a bit to the man whose buisness it is to see to our comfort. Very unprofessional. This turned out to be an indication of the poor meal to come. I cant speak for the rest of the diners, as discussing problems would have upset my son in law, whose goal it was to host a great birthday celebration. I didnt order a cocktail, but my daughter said hers had no alcohol in it...husband checked and said he thought there was a hint of gin. The dissapointment continued with the Abe & Lous salad, dressed in what tasted like pure vinegar. I still had hopes for dinner, prime rib and lobster casserole. With these entrees dinner went from bad to worse. The prime rib was extremely chewy, but it tasted neutral, nothing to rave about. The lobster was so tough it was impossible to cut it with a steak knife!!! I brought it home for the cat. I fear this lobster was cooked in a microwave. cant think of anything else that could have made it impossible to eat. With so many great places to eat in boston, I would never recommend this restaurant. Of course if we werent the guests of my son in law, I would have complained...but at a good restaurant, why should you have too? I must say, our waitress impressed us by labeling all the leftovers. I thiought that at least showed a willingness to try to offer good service.

3 Thank sandysloop
Boston, MA
“Abe & Louie's just OK..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

Again, my honest review, I wouldn't steer you wrong. My fiance and I recently dined at the Boston location after experiencing some pretty great Steakhouses, STK in NYC (THE BEST FOOD/DRINK YOU'LL EVER HAVE), Michael Jordan's, Ruth's Chris etc.
The food - Shrimp were large, plump but slightly soggy, salad freshly tossed, wine savory, yet $12 martini's tasted like a drink I would have made in college, unfortunately. We asked for suggestions but it was essentially liquor shaken with ice, and a splash of juice. Picture drinking straight chilled vodka out of a martini glass.
My steak was cooked nicely, thick cut, fiances was overdone but still delicious and appreciated. Service was both helpful and cordial.
CONS - The decor/ambiance, scene, food. It needs to be revamped, dark oriental carpets, the same mahogany theme you see in an upscale steakhouse, but so overwhelmed by the carpeting, heavy chandeliers, and old wooden floors..similar to a library look. I just like to see a warmer theme, wooden shiny floors, contemporary and up to date when I dine. I like to walk in and say "wow" when I'm about to drop $200 on dinner for 2. A sharp bar, etc. This may sound silly but dining is an experience when you're taking out that special someone. I want to say the food was so spectacular that it made up for the lack of "scene" but in this case, the food was about a 7 unfortunately compared to those I've been to. In fact, Ruth's Chris has a better selection of filet and ribeye's in my opinion and arrive sizzzzzling on a plate surrounded by the meat's natural juices and a touch of butter melted on top. Yum!
Not to be harsh, I'm just being honest. Now, if you're looking for an upscale, 25-55, contemporary-looking steakhouse with all the same culinary staples of a classic steakhouse, please try STK in the meat packing district in NYC. http://www.stk.com. You won't regret it, in fact it's the best restaurant I have ever been to. Try the tuna tartar with banana plantains, ribeye, filet, or truffle fries. And do yourself a favor and appreciate the actual AMAZING martinis this place puts out. Strawberry with graham cracker crust rim, or dirty martini's with blue cheese stuffed olives with great service for the same price? Now that's a place worth coming back to. I mean, if you're going to spend the money, make the experience worth giving it to.

2 Thank CarpeDiem123112
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Get some cheese melted on your steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Get some cheese melted on your steak

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook