“Hopping place with great food and fairly priced wines” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abe & Louie's

Abe & Louie's
Reserve with OpenTable
Abe & Louie's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield
Transit: Two blocks from the Copley "T" stop.
Grand Island, Nebraska
“Hopping place with great food and fairly priced wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The staff is prompt, efficient, and humorous. The interior is wood-paneled clubby, a la Cheers. Warm and boisterous in character, everyone is having a good time. I loved the reasonably-priced wine list(50% mark up). My wife and I opted for 7 pounds of steamed lobster perfection and finished by splitting a delicious butterscotch bread pudding. The breadsticks were a super-savory treat as well.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Really good! No kidding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you pay $175 for a meal for 2 the reviews tend to follow 2 thoughts A) it is excellent or B) very critical because the reviewer was very critical about food or service for the price. I found it excellent in spite of the fact that I would never pay this much for a meal in my home town... Something about being on vacation. A&L met all my needs except a gorgious view of the city. The facility is comfortable overall and an issue rarely reported in restaurant reviews is that the chairs are comortable for my frame of 265 lbs. I HATE paying a ton of money for good food and service but sit on a bottle cap for an hour. The food as excellent and the portions were large enough to satisfy anyone. The bone in ribeye is 1.5 lbs! Wine by the glass will not break you at $11 each. The Abe and Louie salad is a must and the sides are wonderful. This was all served with professionalism and attention to detail. You will Love it. It works for 2 people or larger parties. Most guests dress up but you will not feel uncomfortable in clean dockers and polo shirt. Enjoy.

Portland, Maine
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had great hopes about this restaurant. On the positive side, the location and decor which are great and the service which was good. The food was decent but it was overpriced and the restaurant was extremely noisy. One of the worst I have ever dined in. Too many tables and too closed to one another. One has to shout to be heard. It is definitively not a place to have a romantic dinner. As far as high end steakhouse is concerned Ruth's Chris steakhouse is better.

Visited October 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent steaks though I miss the Ruth's Chris sizzle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Three of us had a business/social meeting at Abe & Louie's on a Saturday night. We booked over a month in advance but still had to accept a 6:15 seating, as apparently this downtown steak house is that popular with Bostonians.

My appetizer cup of clam chower ($5) was wonderful, as was a black bean soup ($5) that another of our party ordered.

I loved my Ketel One vodka martini ($10.50), served up in a tall glass cylinder immersed in ice, so that it didn't get watered down.

We enjoyed the steaks completely. My 16 oz. New York strip ($46) was perfectly cooked to order, with a nice crust, although I must say I miss the hot plates and sizzling presentation that Ruth's Chris offers. By the end of my meal, my steak was cold. We also ordered a 10 oz. Filet ($43) and 24 oz. bone-in Ribeye ($47).

The sides with the steak were good, but not exceptional. My handcut fries ($8) looked better than they tasted, and my associates didn't finish their mashed potatoes with bleu cheese ($8) or the brussel sprouts ($9).

The atmosphere was typical upscale steak restaurant, bustling and loud.

Our waiter (Sam P) came across as a little condescending, but otherwise the service was excellent.

Our meal for three, with two cocktails, one salad, two cups of soup, one bottle of Rutherford Merlot (excellent but a little overpriced at $52), three entrees, three sides and one espresso came to $275 before our usual general tip.

1 Thank LanSluderBelize
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Whilst in Boston we visited Abe & Louie's a couple of times. It was obviously good enough to bring us back. This isn't fine dinning, it's good steaks, sandwiches and burgers. The waiters are efficient but don't offer any more than getting the dishes and drinks to and from the table.

It's the relaxed atmosphere, nice long bar, comfortable booths and good burger that had me returning.

Worth a visit.