“The Best Filet Mignon I have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grill 23 & Bar

Grill 23 & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill 23 & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,188 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Stuart Street
Norwood, Massachusetts
“The Best Filet Mignon I have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I went to Grill 23 last night for our anniversary. It was our first time at the restaurant. We were a little bit confined the way our table was between two larger tables in the dining area but it wasn't a major deal.

The service was good and the staff was very attentive, my water class was never empty of even half empty.

The food was great. I had the Filet Mignon (10oz, $49) and it was the best I ever had. I ordered it medium and it was spot on. I didn't even think of adding salt, etc to it as the flavor was great. We ordered the asparagus for a side ($11) and it was more than enough for two people.

My wife ordered from the Prix Fixe and got the NY Sirloin strip ($12 up charge from the normal $38 Prix Fixe) and it was very good.

The location is convient there are various parking garages near by and other restaurants to grab a drink before or after. The bar there was small. I would eat there again and recommend it to others that like a well cooked flavorful steak.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Can't go wrong here...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service, Great food, great ambiance. The filet mignon is amazing. Very good place to go in groups or to take visitors to Boston.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited Boston in August 2013. Restaurant was recommended as one of the best so we decided to give it a try Wine list was superb! 63 pages, a bit overwhelming but laid out very well. Steaks are their signature so ordered the Bone in Rib eye steak. Sides are ala carte but large and enough for 3 to 4 people. Spinach was great as well as the cauliflower. One of the steaks was overcooked. When we brought it to the attention of the server, NO PROBLEM took it back immediately - HOWEVER TOOK both dinners back and re-cooked everything so that we could enjoy the dining experience together. Dessert was awesome as well, coconut cake. Excellent restaurant, staff and very impressed how the overcooked steak was handled,

KenFromKent
“Arrogant Staff poor quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

While visiting in Boston the Grill 23 was recommended as a fine dining restaurant by the
Fairmont Hotel where we were staying..
So .. excepting the advice we booked, arriving on time, we were greeted by the maître de ,
but minus a smile.. that set a tone...
Apart from the sommelier, a charming girl by the name of Shyvonne , the staff came across as doing you a favour by serving you and allowing you to dine in their restaurant..

When our main course arrived, a waiter name Brian
Placed the food on the table, saying that's all then, and proceeded to walk away, reminding him that there was more food to come, then he rounded on me saying.. wait.... I've only got one pairs of hands..!

As for the food, my Partner had Oysters as a starter, very good she told me, but then
the oysters needed little prep, I had iceberg lettuce.. with a dollop of Garlic butter and two of the most miniscule pieces of bacon I have ever seen.

As for the main course, it was edible, but not much beyond that.. the asprigus was soggy and the mushrooms over cooked.. Her main course of scalups were edible my 100 aged steak slightly over cooked.

No presentation , no imagination and delivered in a style equal to that of a road side café/ diner.
All this for $245.00..?? I think not, like most people we go out to enjoy ourselves and have a nice experience, cost only comes into play when one feels let down.

Just one other point, when you enter this restaurant you do so from a series of steps, but..
be cautious as the door opens OUTWARD on to the steps, if you are unsteady then its my opinion that you could lose your balance a go backwards down the stairs.

4 Thank KenFromKent
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Food was amazing but hated being stuck in the back room upstairs, no atmosphere from there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We both had the same crabmeat cocktail starter was very refreshing, then 100 day aged ribeye which was extremely tasty though mine was over cooked my partners was perfect. Sides of mash potato and red beets were just enough. A good bottle of Gevrey Chambertin and a sommelier who was knowledgable and gave us a written list of other wines from the same vineyard.
Only down side was the table in the back room upstairs, no atmosphere, will remember to ask for a table downstairs next time which was more lively.

• Visited July 2013

Been to Grill 23 & Bar? Share your experiences!