“Great food but over facing!”
Review of Grill 23 & Bar

Grill 23 & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill 23 & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Stuart Street
Description: Brandt family beef, New England seafood, seasonal produce, decadent desserts, a world-class wine list, outstanding service and warm hospitality. Private dining for 140 or more. Award winning food and wine. A truly American experience. This is Grill 23.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The atmosphere and service in this converted old bank were superb!

I chose Tuna for main course and it was incredible. Probably the best tuna I have ever tasted. However when I asked for a side of asparagus I thought they had delivered it in a truck! The portion was huge and I felt frustrated that so much of this beautiful vegetable would be wasted despite the best efforts of my friends.

We skipped desert as we were all too full.

A good find in a super city.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

The restaurant is very nicely decorated, a comfortable. The bar is always busy with business types. The restaurant gets a mixed clientele. There is a happy atmosphere. The food is delicious. Steaks are what they are famous for, but the lobster is super. Try the tater tots. They are addictive.

This restaurant is not for the faint of heart in the pocketbook department. The food and atmosphere is well worth the price.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have never been disapointed in any meal (or drink) we have had there. We have been there about 8 times and the food has always been excellent.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

A birthday celebration for my wife, it was a phenomenal dining experience. The upstairs dining areas are not nearly as nice in terms of interesting decor, but downstairs is extremely loud. You need to be patient waiting for the valet to bring your car, but the valet parking attendants were very courteous and engaging. Dinner for two, no bottle of wine just two martinis and two glasses of wine, with apps, sides, dessert, was $250+.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife, my father-in-law and I were looking for a nice place for great steaks. My father-in-law was taking us out for my wife's and my birthdays which are several weeks apart. A couple of years ago, we had gone to Pellana in Peabody, enjoyed the steak, but we wanted to try something else, particularly a place that served both Prime and dry-aged steaks.

Grill 23 uses a single source for their beef, at least they say so on their website. It is a naturally raised beef - no antibiotics or steroids, grass-fed, etc. This environmentally responsible stance was also appealing. Additionally, the building it's in is historic and supposed to be lovely.

Let's start with the downsides: The restaurant had recently expanded back into another part of the building. The front on the building on the inside has some lovely detail. We were seated in the newly expanded part of the building. The ceilings were low and it looked like a nice hotel conference room rather than an elegant place to dine. On top of that, the tables are positioned VERY close together. We were seated at a 4-top, and right next to us was seated a group of at least 5 plus, at one point, a screaming toddler. Just what you want when you're spending about $50 on an 'a la carte' steak. Our tables were so close together that the waiter pouring water had to move the unused chair at our table out of the way in order to get by and serve all of the guests at their table. I'm sorry, but when I'm spending this sort of money at dinner, I don't expect to be on top of the diners next door to us. Additionally, the low ceiling exacerbates the volume.

That out of the way, the food and the wine list are quite impressive and, yes, expensive (Wines on their main list start at about $40 and go up into the thousands. On Sundays, they pull out a separate list of wines that go for $21. Still, their prices are about triple to quadruple retail.).

As it turns out, only a few of their steaks are, indeed, dry-aged. In the dry aging process (which is done on the premises), the outside of the side of beef is allowed to dry out. The outer layers of beef are then cut off and discarded. The remaining beef, having lost some of its moisture, is now denser and more intensely flavored (Think of Ice Wines). We all ordered the 100 day dry-aged rib-eye. I loved the intensity of flavor, but the density of the dry-aged steak can make a denser experience to cut and chew through. My wife prefers a standard Prime steak.

One thing to note, the slather on an herbed butter onto the steak before serving. That may not be to everyone's liking either. It certainly adds to lush mouth feel, but it may be unnecessary to some.

We had wonderfully prepared brussel sprouts and truffle and sea salted tator tots as sides. The tator tots were tasty but not worth going out of the way for. On the other hand, the brussel sprouts were really, really good.

All in all, was this worth a trip from out in the suburbs into Boston for? I can't say that this was any more of an outstanding experience for a great steak than a few other great steak places to which I have been (I mentioned Pellana in Peabody, MA, plus I have been to Manny's in the Twin Cities). If you are in the Boston area, this would be a fine choice as long as you don't mind the close proximity of parties next to you.

1  Thank AnalogJ