“Great Italian Foor and Wine”
Review of Mother Anna's

Mother Anna's
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother Anna's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #206 of 3,264 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Between Cross St. and Richmond St.
Transit: Congress St @ Hanover St (191, 192, 193) Haymarket Station - Outbound (Orange Line) Haymarket Station - Inbound (Orange Line)
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My wife and I have made this one of our "spots," meaning we will visit this restaurant at least once whenever we find ourselves in Boston. It is a smaller restaurant on the edge of the North End, the edge closest to the Haymarket T stop. The food is delicious, the wine list is decent, and the service is excellent. We both fell in love with one particular dish, one of their specials; but last time we were there they didn't have that special listed, we asked and the chef made that dish for us anyway. This is a great spot for a romantic dinner. It can be busy, but if you can get there earlier (before 5pm) or later (after 7pm), the crowds will have died down.

1  Thank sagejon
There are newer reviews for Mother Anna's

Reviewed March 26, 2008

I've eaten at Mother Anna's a dozen times now, usually in connection with a visit to the nearby Haymarket with its fruit and vegetable vendors that make me feel like I've stepped back in time. The restaurant is at the outer edge of Boston's North End, a part of town dominated by Italian restaurants, grocery stores, and pastry shops. The food at Mother Anna's isn't fancy, but it's mighty good. The emphasis is on red sauce...and what red sauce! Mamma mia! It's the most gorgeous red/orange color and the flavor can't be beat. It's consistently good.

The decor is old-fashioned and is dominated by family photos; lighting is dim even on a sunny day; and the wait staff is attentive. You expect to hear people speaking in Italian...that kind of atmosphere. The wine list is terrific and music is, of course, Italian. For years, the restaurant sat beside the Big Dig which was under construction for a long time...this is complete now and a patio sits where a pit lingered for too long.

Food can't be beat. On my last visit I was with ten people. We were seated mid-afternoon without a reservation. Some of us had salads to start along with crusty Italian bread that is hearty and good. The Caesar salad is tasty and the house dressing drew no complaints. Many of us had Veal Parmesan with Eggplant, a house speciality...it's a lot of food and it's well-prepared. A few had tortellini with artechokes, spinach, and gorgonzola and some had veal or chicken Marsala...no complaints all around. We each paid $22 and that included a handsome tip. Try it; you'll like it.

A visit to the North End offers lots of choices in many price ranges. If you are looking for honest Italian food at modest prices, this is the place for you. I've spent three times as much at fancier places around the corner without the same satisfaction. I hope that this Boston institution is around for many more years.

2  Thank redeco
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Food is delicious!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We went for lunch in November so it was not overly busy. The meals the five of us ordered were all great, the food came out quickly and the waitress was friendly and fast. Great fried calamari as well. Would recommend this place.

1  Thank Krusj
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I went to Mother Anna's with my parents during a trip to Boston in September 2007. The evening was beautiful so we asked to be seated outside. The views were nice.

Our waitress was not very attentive from the start.

The basic bread they give you is quite bland so we ordered garlic bread, which was great- crunchy and warm.

For dinner, my dad had a dinner salad that he enjoyed. My mom and I both ordered the gnocchi which was outstanding.

My water was not refilled despite repeated requests.

We went to Mike's for dessert.
I would not dine here again but I would consider it for take out.

1  Thank ladybugx87