“Fine dining - well presented”
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a great meal here during restaurant week and found the service to be superb. The staff was very attentive and each course was unique and well presented. If you are looking for an intimate, quiet atmosphere though, Mistal is not the restaurant for that. It was packed an noisy - a hustling, bustling atmosphere. But the food quality made up for the noise.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The food and ambience at Mistral lend themselves to a very pleasurable, relaxed meal. Everything served, from bread to dessert, was very good, with the only flaw being a slightly overcooked steak, though not egregiously so as to ruin it. Wine pours were generous. Pacing is appropriate, just under two hours for three courses.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Service- warm, inviting, efficient. Food - good selection,nice flavours. Atmosphere - elegant. What I liked most - everything was top notch without being pretentious. It was easy.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Mistral is a highly acclaimed, upper class "French" restaurant serving Mediterranean food. I went there on a business outing with two colleagues. We knew it wasn’t going to be inexpensive, but we were nonetheless caught off guard by its prices, and it made us a bit uncomfortable when we ordered. Business may be booming, but there are still limits on how much you can splurge.

We exercised the utmost corporate restraint and ordered three lower-priced entrees and the only reasonable bottle of wine we could find in the $50 range. An Australian variety, it was actually excellent -- 2011 Pinot Noir, ‘Little Yering’, Yering Station (Yarra Valley). Highly recommended!

All three of our entrees were attractively presented and delicious. Mine, the “WHOLE ROASTED” DUCK & WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO, DRIED WISCONSIN CHERRY GASTRIQUE,” was the best duck I’ve ever eaten – crispy yet moist and juicy. A perfect potpourri of flavors with the Risotto and Cherry Gastrique! My two colleagues had “PAN ROASTED NATIVE HALIBUT WITH CHANTERELLE & ZUCCHINI BLOSSOM RISOTTO, SWEET SUMMER CORN” and “PAN ROASTED CORNISH GAME HEN, WARM PANCETTA & SPINACH SALAD, LEMON & ROSEMARY”, respectively, and I wouldn’t have complained if I had been served either one.

The restaurant didn’t strike me as very French, however, and that’s what we were seeking. Outside of the culinary influence which is more on the higher end than most French can experience on a regular basis, there wasn’t anything about the atmosphere reminiscent of the world’s cultural and esthetic powerhouse where I once lived. None of the staff (that we saw) was French. The bread wasn’t French. The decorations weren’t French. While I wasn't looking for an Eifel Tower upon entry, if you’re going to call yourself French, at least try to showcase a token receptionist or waiter with an accent!

Mistral's serves an expertly-cooked meal in a low-lit environment that’s a bit stuffy and pricey for my taste. Most reviews in Tripadvisor have been more than positive, so this is clearly a restaurant of consistent quality for special occasions or high waged earners who aren’t intimidated by the $55 “market price” for the undoubtedly scrumptious ROAST RACK OF COLORADO LAMB WITH SUMMER TOMATO & BEAN SALAD, FETA & KALAMATA OLIVES!

I won’t return, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. Of course, I wonder how many potential patrons of Mistral need TripAdvisor to guide them on whether or not to eat there!

7  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Disclaimer: we aren't the expensive restaurant types, usually. But this place was highly recommended on a number of sites and we decided while on vacation to splurge. Our waiter was very nice, valet parking effective, a nice ambience. Interesting that even at 6:30 (we'd made reservations after reading how busy it could be), it was not busy. Even when we left after 8, it was still very quiet. The food, however, was nothing special which seems a crime for how expensive it was. The appetizer of gnocchi with lobster was good, but my sirloin steak, ordered rare, arrived medium at best, hubby's scallops were seasoned mostly by the use of peppers rather than an artful use of spices/herbs. The desserts were fine, but again, for the price, not all that special. Disappointing overall.