“Fine Cuisine in a Relaxing Atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,174 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Valhalla, New York
“Fine Cuisine in a Relaxing Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The food and ambience at Mistral lend themselves to a very pleasurable, relaxed meal. Everything served, from bread to dessert, was very good, with the only flaw being a slightly overcooked steak, though not egregiously so as to ruin it. Wine pours were generous. Pacing is appropriate, just under two hours for three courses.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Trinidad
“Excellence with ease”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Service- warm, inviting, efficient. Food - good selection,nice flavours. Atmosphere - elegant. What I liked most - everything was top notch without being pretentious. It was easy.

Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,655 helpful votes
“Great food but not entirely genuine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Mistral is a highly acclaimed, upper class "French" restaurant serving Mediterranean food. I went there on a business outing with two colleagues. We knew it wasn’t going to be inexpensive, but we were nonetheless caught off guard by its prices, and it made us a bit uncomfortable when we ordered. Business may be booming, but there are still limits on how much you can splurge.

We exercised the utmost corporate restraint and ordered three lower-priced entrees and the only reasonable bottle of wine we could find in the $50 range. An Australian variety, it was actually excellent -- 2011 Pinot Noir, ‘Little Yering’, Yering Station (Yarra Valley). Highly recommended!

All three of our entrees were attractively presented and delicious. Mine, the “WHOLE ROASTED” DUCK & WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO, DRIED WISCONSIN CHERRY GASTRIQUE,” was the best duck I’ve ever eaten – crispy yet moist and juicy. A perfect potpourri of flavors with the Risotto and Cherry Gastrique! My two colleagues had “PAN ROASTED NATIVE HALIBUT WITH CHANTERELLE & ZUCCHINI BLOSSOM RISOTTO, SWEET SUMMER CORN” and “PAN ROASTED CORNISH GAME HEN, WARM PANCETTA & SPINACH SALAD, LEMON & ROSEMARY”, respectively, and I wouldn’t have complained if I had been served either one.

The restaurant didn’t strike me as very French, however, and that’s what we were seeking. Outside of the culinary influence which is more on the higher end than most French can experience on a regular basis, there wasn’t anything about the atmosphere reminiscent of the world’s cultural and esthetic powerhouse where I once lived. None of the staff (that we saw) was French. The bread wasn’t French. The decorations weren’t French. While I wasn't looking for an Eifel Tower upon entry, if you’re going to call yourself French, at least try to showcase a token receptionist or waiter with an accent!

Mistral's serves an expertly-cooked meal in a low-lit environment that’s a bit stuffy and pricey for my taste. Most reviews in Tripadvisor have been more than positive, so this is clearly a restaurant of consistent quality for special occasions or high waged earners who aren’t intimidated by the $55 “market price” for the undoubtedly scrumptious ROAST RACK OF COLORADO LAMB WITH SUMMER TOMATO & BEAN SALAD, FETA & KALAMATA OLIVES!

I won’t return, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. Of course, I wonder how many potential patrons of Mistral need TripAdvisor to guide them on whether or not to eat there!

7 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Houston, Texas
“Expensive for unmemorable food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Disclaimer: we aren't the expensive restaurant types, usually. But this place was highly recommended on a number of sites and we decided while on vacation to splurge. Our waiter was very nice, valet parking effective, a nice ambience. Interesting that even at 6:30 (we'd made reservations after reading how busy it could be), it was not busy. Even when we left after 8, it was still very quiet. The food, however, was nothing special which seems a crime for how expensive it was. The appetizer of gnocchi with lobster was good, but my sirloin steak, ordered rare, arrived medium at best, hubby's scallops were seasoned mostly by the use of peppers rather than an artful use of spices/herbs. The desserts were fine, but again, for the price, not all that special. Disappointing overall.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Carlisle, MA
“great service and lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is the place to go with a group of friends OR on a date. The atmosphere is just festive enough but the meal felt very private and well attended. I paricularly liked the appetizers - the mussels and the tuna tartare were excellent. There was a salmon tartare special that I also tried and thought was dynamite. I shared my entree with a friend as it was generously portioned (they were kind enough to allow that.) Our fluke entree was so good that I almost wished I had ordered my own. Desserts were not as memorable, but who cares - by the time you get to dessert, you are so completely satisfied.

• Visited July 2013