“Very nice....”

Amrheins Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Amrheins Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #286 of 3,227 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South Boston
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Very nice....”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Approx 6pm. We were seated immediately, choice of the bar or dining room. We chose the dining room. Not very many diners. But everything was spotless. The waitress was very friendly and reasonably attentive. For starters we tried the buffalo chicken dip which was a definite hit. I selected the seafood Alfredo which I have to say was really, really good. Filled with chunks of lobster meat! The desserts were not up to the standard of the starter or main course, but they didn't pool the experience. Outer first time here and will definitely return. Good service, food and value. And of course their large parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is a real plus!

“Won't go back.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Very disappointed today. Had been here once before and really liked it but what a let down today. 4 of us went, were seated quickly and it went downhill once we noticed the dirty glasses on our table. The waiter who tried to fill them with water was very put out that I mentioned it to him and replaced them. I had French Onion soup which I love, it was tasteless. I then had Beef Stroganoff which is a real treat usually, not today. The meat was tough and in huge chunks, the sauce was bland and the noodles stuck together. My husband has scollops and I heard him crunch something that may have been some shell, we're not sure! One waitress (out of the three we had), all but threw our soups onto the table, it didn't make us feel very welcome at all. I was disappointed and wouldn't go back. Maybe we picked a bad day.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fail in so many ways...”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Have been here before on occasion with good results. Chose it on New Year's Day for a special late lunch with my wife for my son with his girlfriend on her first visit to Boston. While looking at the menus a member of the staff came to fill our water glasses. There were 3 on the table and each was filthy. He was shocked when we mentioned the first and totally put out when told all 3 were dirty. He returned with clean glasses and spoke not a word.

Ordered our starters and meals. Delivery of the starters came with a "Who has the potato skins...who?....Anyone?"

My broiled scallops came almost cold. My wife's beef stroganoff was tough and not cooked in the sauce at all. The clam chowder was thick and not very appetizing. When tea was delivered to our table the boiling water was splashed on our guest. The server was truly apologetic. As the meal was being cleared with a large portion of uneaten food nothing was said by the servers.

All in all not a good experience. Won't be back.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Back for dinner this time”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

After a great brunch only a few weeks prior, my family decided to try out Amrheins for dinner. Just like the brunch, the food was great. It resembles home cooked meals, good food and straight to the point - no frills.

It is rare for me to not polish off my dinner plate, and Amrheins gave me a run for my money with their dishes is all i'll say!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MDC-BIZ
Boston
“An old standby is keeping pace with the competition...”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

While some of the older restaurants don't keep up with the changing times, Amrheins has managed to maintain a competitive edge. You get the sense it's still an "old friend" for generations of repeat diners. And yet, there is a contemporary flair to the establishment as well. It's a nice blend of old charm and nostalgia mixed with a flash of trendiness and style. Our dining experience was terrific. The meals were nicely prepared and the portions were generous. The ambience was inviting and warm. We appreciated the Christmas decorations after a day in Boston celebrating the holiday season. The menu has much to offer and you will find many family favorite comfort food offerings in addition to more creative selections. Service was friendly and accommodating. After a busy day, you can't go wrong with a relaxing visit to this old Boston landmark.

• Visited December 2012