“History of Boston on a plate, sort of”
Review of Union Oyster House

Union Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 3,393 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Two options: Take the Blue or Green Line to Government Center. Walk down the stairs along the side of City Hall and cross Congress Street. We are across the street. Note we are across from the New England Holocaust Memorial. Or, take the Orange or Green Line to Haymarket,left on Congress,left on Hanover,right on Union.
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We were here with a scout group and thought an appropriate end to our freedom trail adventure would be a trip to the oldest restaurant in Boston. I made a reservation on Open Table but we ended up adding to more people to our party on arrival. They were able to find space for our party of 8 in about 20 minutes. The service started fine but ended slow. We waited about 20 minutes to pay our bill. Food was average but nothing wrong in particular. The prices here reflect the history of the place, not the quality. Check this one off the list, we ate in the oldest restaurant in the US.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,037)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I take people here when I am showing friends from out-of-town the historical sites in Boston. It's not the best place I've eaten but the food is certainly good and it's right on the Freedom Trail. Who doesn't want to be able to say they have eaten in the oldest restaurant in the country.

I usually try to schedule my visits for lunch during the off-season. Then it isn't crowded with customers, the service people aren't run ragged and the food prep is not rushed. To enjoy your visit here you really need to go when the place isn't overly busy and, if you do, there is a lot of cool stuff to look at on display in the restaurant.

I think the prices are about average for a downtown big city restaurant. I like the cornbread that is served, not quite as good as my wife's homemade cornbread, but pretty good still. I usually have seafood and I've found that it is fresh and well-prepared.

It's worth a visit, after all don't you want to be able to say that you've eaten in the oldest restaurant.

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I attempted to go to dinner at this restaurant and it was incredibly lacking and disappointing. The staff and bartender looked extremely unkempt to start. The "homemade" cornbread was dry and hard. The Ceasar salad was soggy. We ordered the salmon and shrimp. Salmon had no flavor, came with an undercooked baked potato and was around 26$. The shrimp was not fresh and was very greasy. I ordered a soda which was never refilled. We never even got an offer to refill our drinks.I originally planned to take my wife there to sit at the "Kennedy"family table but they wouldn't allow it as it's only for 4 or more people. Our bill was 80$--- without any alcohol. For 100$ including lobster and a bottle of wine you can have a excellent meal at the Chart House. Save your money and go there!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I had heard positive things about this restaurant and was looking forward to eating here. My husband and I ordered a couple of beers, fish and chips, the lobster roll and clam chowder. The lobster roll was very bland and everything else was just average. For $100+ dollars, I expect above average food...

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I changed my reservation 3 times as my party grew...and they didn’t blink. Service was great and food was fresh and good. Loved the old Boston ambiance. I would recommend.