“A great place to take a break”
Review of Union Oyster House

Union Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Two options: Take the Blue or Green Line to Government Center. Walk down the stairs along the side of City Hall and cross Congress Street. We are across the street. Note we are across from the New England Holocaust Memorial. Or, take the Orange or Green Line to Haymarket,left on Congress,left on Hanover,right on Union.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A great place to take a break”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been here twice with my girlfriend and we enjoy the atmosphere and the appetizers. I can't give a fair assessment overall on the food, because we've stopped by to take a break, grab a snack and have a beer. The prices are a bit expensive, from what I recall, but you're in a heavily trafficked tourist area and they have to pay the rent. We really enjoy the atmosphere and our two visits have been pleasant experiences. A great respite for us when walking around the vicinity of Quincy Market, especially when it's cold outside.

• Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
“Can't be beat!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Now I know why my parents always made a point to visit the Oyster House every time they could!
Our waitress Linda was a real crackup: fun, quick-witted, warm-hearted, and she went the extra mile to make sure we could try as many of the specialties Boston and the Oyster House have to offe,r and that we were enjoying ourselves every minute. We had all the time we needed to order, and were not at all rushed as we enjoyed each and every morsel on our plates.
If you want seafood in Boston and the best ambiance ever, visit the Union Oyster House, America's oldest restaurant, for the best experience ever!

Visited February 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Happy place for a tourist visit”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This has the old establishment feeling with great list of sea food menus.
Upstairs restaurant, downstairs bar and the gift shop.
Staff were very friendly, and I do think this is a decent place.

I tried oysters twice while in Boston this time, and I must say, this was not the best.
What put me off was that there were only ketchup& horse radish toppings (and they serve these toppings in plastic disposable cup - disappointing!) but not the vinaigrette. The only vinegar they had in house was malt vinegar for fish and chips.

Having said that, given the special occasion to be in Boston and wanted to try the old establishment in town, I was happy that I did that. Other food & wine I had was pretty good, too

I had
- 6 fresh oysters
- Mussels white wine sauce (very good, big healthy mussels)
- Hot apple cobbler

• Visited February 2013
“Very pricey but nice historical building”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Lunch for 2 was $63. 5 shrimp in shrimp cocktail. The food was tasty but pricey. Corn bread was very good. Atmosphere was new england traditional. It is a once is enough type of place.

New York, New York, United States
“Old Time Boston”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This place has lots of history, great fresh oysters and clam chowder and solid seafood. There is nothing new, novel or exciting about this place. This is the quintissential Boston institution. Don't expect to be blown away by new, exciting, or cutting edge cuisine. This is unapolagetic straight forward, classic New England comfort food in a relaxed and historic setting. Well worth the visit if you enjoy New England seafood with a side of history or vice versa.

• Visited February 2013