“Great oysters, enjoyable time.”
Review of Union Oyster House

Union Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 3,275 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Two options: Take the Blue or Green Line to Government Center. Walk down the stairs along the side of City Hall and cross Congress Street. We are across the street. Note we are across from the New England Holocaust Memorial. Or, take the Orange or Green Line to Haymarket,left on Congress,left on Hanover,right on Union.
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just had an enjoyable lunch of oysters and a seafood platter. I heard about this old place that dates back to the 1800s on the Travel Channel. Brought the wife my teenage son and his friend. Rather easy to get to (near Faneiul Hall). Got there about 1 and lucked out by getting seats at the oyster shucking bar. The employees were nice even though they were busy shucking. The oysters, although rather pricey (about $3 per oyster), were dee-lish. Even my son and his friend had a few. The seafood platter was also great. I loved the fried scallops and the wife loved the whole belly clams. Even the light breading was tasty (we're not big fried food eaters). The atmosphere was pretty cool too. Kind of neat being in such a historic building. Only drawback were all the tourists but it is what it is. Overall, a good experience I'd recommend. Just bring $$

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just ate there a couple of weeks ago. The Bartenders and waitstaff were great, but the food was hands down THE worst restaurant food I have ever been served. I ordered the scallops and a baked potato for $25 and after a few bites sent it back (I have NEVER done that before) and did not order anything else to replace it. Scallops were dried out and rubbery and the baked potato had been kept warm so long that the interior of the potato was a brownish gray and tasted terrible. As someone who loves to cook, this meal would not take much culinary skill to make correctly and they totally missed on this one. My family ate their meals, but were underwhelmed with the flavor and quality of preparation as well.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Sat at the old bar...ordered a dozen Cherrystones and a Sam Adams. The cherrystones were incredible. The atmosphere at the old bar feels like you could be sitting there at any point in the history of this 1826 restaurant.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My first experience with oysters, and I have been eating them non-stop since! We went later in the evening on a Saturday (just before 10) and there was space at the bar where we watched boisterous staff crack fresh oysters for us. They are served with lemon juice, cocktail sauce, hot sauce and horseradish. The horseradish really did it for me :). I will say I had to pick out a few shells, but it was worth it. The historic atmosphere matched with fresh, fresh oysters was perfect. The clam chowder is nothing special but that won't stop me from getting back as soon as I can!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

For all that this restaurant is hyped up to be, I don't think the food was great at all. For true "Oysters", you're better off trying to get a seat at Neptune Oyster.