“Cozy, historical bar serving authentic seafood.”

Salty Dog Seafood Grille & Bar
Ranked #192 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This place is not cheap, but it's a great find we have been to three or four times when we are in Boston. The decor is true sailing themed fun and it's cozy small setting makes it feel like a special event. This place has been here forever dishing out great seafood. We have had great waiters there who know many of us are tourists and still take the time to be charming and helpful. I love the oysters are incredibly fresh, the po boys, fried oyster baskets,and fantastic pasta with shrimp.
I go for the atmosphere, food and slice of authentic boston food.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This downstairs bar is small but has a really cool vibe to it. The bartender, Don, I think, was engaging and friendly. In between meetings, we snuck down to the Salty Dog for Fried clams and a beer and they did not disappoint. The clam strips were delicious and sweet and perfectly, lightly fried. The Harpoon IPA, a local beer, was also excellent.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We too a reprieve from shopping into this oasis...awesome Bloody Mary's which gave enough refuel for the day. Menu looked good..staff was super nice

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hit the Salty Dog with two friends for dinner on Friday night, November 16, 2012, prior to catching The WHO at the TD BankNorth Garden. They each had the Seafood Creole, which they both attested as being very good and supple in portion with Fresh Seafood (Scallops done very well). I had the Shore Dinner - Catfish filet broiled, with a bit of Cajun seasoning. It came with a very good homemade slaw (more vinegar based than mayo), and I chose Red Beans and Rice as my side. Very tasty. We each had only one drink with our dinner as the server was not overly attentive. In fact, I had to track her down to pay with my credit card after receiving the bill, because she had forgotten about us (it might have had something to do with the young man she was hanging out and laughing with in another part of the restaurant?). Anyway, the meal was good. The service so-so. The prices are a bit more costly than average for same meals elsewhere, but it's more due to being in Boston, while being located in the very touristy part of Boston, aka Quincy Market. Prices dictated by location, location, location. Would I return? Most likely were I to find myself hungry in this part of town during the right occasion.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My friends, wife and I had lunch at this restaurant during our stop at Boston on our cruise trip. We sat outside on a nice early October day. Our food was good and well prepared, the service was prompt and we did not have to wait long to be seated. I recommend it for a quick seafood meal, also it's a nice location for sitting outdoors if you don't mind the husle and bustle of shoppers strolling by as you eat.