“THREE SPOONS”

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Just an average Chinese restaurant. Both the food and restaurant nothing special. Expected better Chinese in Boston, but not too many highly rated on TA. Prices were good, that is about it.

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I used to come to this place late at night on weekends but yesterday was the first time I ate the food here at a reasonable hour. It far exceeded my expectations and was a delight for everyone I brought for dinner. If you're looking for good food in Chinatown at any time of day, this is the place to be. Good authentic food in the heart of Chinatown.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Back when this was the Golden Gate, before its rebirth as New Golden Gate, it was one of the only bad places to eat in Boston's Chinatown. But I've been here three times under the new management/ownership -- and the place is terrific.

I've had the noodle dishes and a few seafood dishes. All have been terrific. The key difference is that the food now seems very fresh -- and well prepared. Portions were always huge -- but in the past that was not something to look forward to. Now it's a plus.

Try the clams in black bean sauce, the singapore rice noodle, and the chopped up spare ribs. All great. Similarly the fresh fish that I had -- with a ginger and scallion sauce was terrific -- as were the steamed dumplings.

I'm getting hungry just writing this review.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were the only non-Chinese people in the joint-and that’s a good sign! A trusted Chinese friend told me this is where their family always goes in China Town in Boston. My brother got us going with fried pig intestines. I’m always game and was setting myself for disappointment. They were delicious-great pork flavor. My wife enjoyed the steamed eel; which came from a tank located only steps away from us-very good. My brother ordered the brisket and I had a fish dish. All were superb. If you are looking for an authentic Chinese experience-come here!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Typical Chinese restaurant style ambiance - could be seen as a bit rundown or old, but that's your normal Chinese restaurant for you.

Beware as washrooms are dingy, but if you want the good deal on the lobsters, you'll have to suck it up.

We came in for an afternoon "snack" and ended up ordering their special which is a pair of steamed twin lobsters for about $14 if you order a $6 side (which we got some stir-fried veggies). You can order your lobster cooked in a variety of Chinese-styles (stir-fry with onions etc).

Overall, great deal for lobsters; only come if you want to eat some cheap and delicious lobster! *Bring extra sanitary wipes if you don't like dirty bathrooms.