“Great seafood... Going...”

Chart House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 3,329 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Avenue & State Streets
Transit: Blue Line Aquarium
Description: An incredible landmark location on Boston’s Long Wharf, Chart House is situated in the Gardiner Building – the restored 18th-century offices of American Patriot John Hancock. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine & it’s not hard to see why the restaurant is a longtime favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh fish specialties to slow-roasted prime rib, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & Whole Maine Lobster. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Pato Dining at its finest!
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Great seafood... Going to pay and pay dearly though.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed November 30, 2008

Had not been to the Chart House in years and some of the reviews posted here made us wonder.
That said, we had an outstanding meal at the Chart House. Sea scallops with an Asian flair cooked perfectly. The other diner ordered prime rib (At a seafood rstaurant?)but, it was also excellent and cooked exactly as ordered. Great location on the waterfront. Service? Our waitress was both attentive and knowledgeable.
Would definitely return.

Reviewed August 17, 2008

I've lived in Boston for many years, grew up in New England and know my seafood. The Chart House is one of those restaurants that my family and I have long avoided, and our experience there last night confirms why. We went only because acquaintances organized a get-together there -- but I don't think they'll be repeat customers after last night.

First the few positives. The location is great, right on Long Wharf, and complimentary valet parking is certainly a convenience, staffed by a courteous team of valets. While we waited for the rest of the party to arrive, my husband and I had a drink at the bar, where we were promptly served by a knowledgeable, friendly bartender. Unfortunately, the positives ended there.

Things went down hill fast. Several of us ordered salad as a starter. My salad had obviously been prepared well in advance and was not fresh-- the greens were limp and some of the lettuce in fact was rotten. The dressing tasted like something out of a bottle. Not acceptable at all, particularly given the prices of items on the menu. The entrees arrived at barely room temperature, and everything, from the grilled swordfish to the filet mignon, was oversalted. A $28 steak should arrive at the table hot off the grill, not lukewarm. Accompanying the potatoes was a side of mashed potatoes with a consistency like glue and also barely warm. For dessert we ordered the heavily advertised chocolate lava cake, which was also a disappointment, since it tasted as if it came from a package. I also had what was the most bizarre cappuccino I've ever been served anywhere--although the coffee was hot, the foam on top was cold with a consistency like whipped cream -- as if it had come out of a can instead of produced barista-style by steam. At these prices, there's no excuse.

Service was indifferent -- once our entrees arrived the waitstaff ignored us, and we had to track down the waiter to get our bill so we could get out of there and put it all behind us.

If you want a place to enjoy a drink by the harbor, then this may be a nice place to do so, but if you're looking for a great meal, there are much, much better places in Boston for seafood and steak that deliver better value for the price -- Legal Seafoods at Copley Place for example (not on Long Wharf) or the Atlantic Fish Co. on Boylston Street. Avoid this overpriced tourist trap otherwise.

Reviewed August 12, 2008

my friend has insisted for years that this is the best dine in Boston. i finally accompanied him recently. it was good, but not great. on the upside the location cannot be beat. it is right in the middle of the downtown waterfront in a historic and charming building. we first had a drink at the outside sitting area. this was a fantastic location for viewing the sailboats in the harbor. our seating for dinner was in a congested dining area with limited water views despite being a window table. the menu was enticing and everything we ordered was good. just didn't knock our socks off. prices are inflated due to touristy location. a good tip is that the location has free valet parking while dining!!!

Reviewed June 6, 2008

After a horrible experience at Legal Sea Foods (the so-called "best seafood in Boston") - we left the table and walked down Long Wharf to the Chart House were the atmosphere was exactly what I'd hoped - early 18th Century original brick, fireplaces, original fixtures. After a drink at the bar downstairs, we went up to our table, which was a quiet booth. Our waiter was fantanstic and even sent over another waiter to explain the history of the building (built by Paul Revere's uncle) and used to "count fish".
I had previously lived in Boston for 4 years, but this visit I brought my fiance (his first visit to New England). I was not disappointed by the Chart House. The food was excellent (LOVED the Clam Chowder) and the wine list very extensive.
If you are looking for a great seafood restaurant on the Waterfront in Boston, skip Legal Sea Foods - and walk down to the Chart House.

Been to Chart House Restaurant? Share your experiences!