“Food was great, service not so good.”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #149 of 3,402 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Ave.
Transit: Aquarium Station (Blueline)
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods - really fresh fish. Enjoy ocean-side dining just steps from the New England Aquarium. Our restaurant couldn't be more convenient to the Financial District, Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall and waterfront hotels. We think a visit to Boston must include a meal at Legal Sea Foods. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there's no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. We've received a boatload of accolades including "Most Popular Boston Restaurant" (Zagat, 2011/2012), "Best Seafood Restaurant" (Improper Bostonian, 2010), "Best Chowder" (Boston Magazine, 2010), "Best Seafood Restaurant" (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The crab cakes here are some of the best I have had. Unfortunately, the service was subpar. Our waitress, Robyn, was slow to acknowledge our presence and never asked us if we wanted another drink or told us what the specials were. The kitchen got our orders wrong, so we had to wait for them to prepare a second meal. Not sure if this was the kitchens fault or Robyn's.
They brought out my baked potato without butter, sour cream or any of the usual dressings and it took forever for me to flag her down to get it. It wasn't a terribly busy night, so this isn't an excuse. In the past we have had great service, hopefully this is not a trend.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,165)

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Great area to visit for the day or weekend, location is fabulous with lovely views, entrées are top of the line.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This location of Legal Sea Foods is very close to the New England Aquarium and reasonably close to Faneuil Hall if you are looking for a bite while taking a break from the Freedom Trail. We found the atmosphere at this location to be very nice, although a bit loud with the crowd, and it also has a very nice oyster bar. I was very pleased with the clam chowder and this time I decided to try their spicy fish and chips as I generally like hot food. While it was not bad, it did not work for me as well as the standard and I will stick with that in the future. The biggest issue for us was parking; the only obvious parking is in the Boston Harbor parking garage around the corner on Milk St. Parking at this garage is very expensive and one can only get validation for discounted parking after 4:30 pm. So for lunch on a Sun afternoon, we quickly ran-up a $32 parking charge, well more than the cost of my meal. Only afterwards did I lean that there is parking garage at Post Office Square on Congress Street, less than a 10 minute walk away, at $9 all day on Sat, Sun, Holidays and after 4 pm; however, any other time does not provide much of a saving.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I recently visited Boston and anytime I make a trip to the New England area I try to get seafood. I decided to join some friends at Legal Sea Foods which was down the street from the Westin Boston Water Front where I was staying and decided to order the Lobster Mac and Cheese as a cheaper way of trying the lobster. The Lobster was good, and the mac and cheese part so/so. On the menu it doesn't state that their are pea's in the mac and cheese and although I have nothing against pea's I found them completely random and out of place for the meal. Also for the price (I understand there is lobster in it) i felt that the dish was too small and lobster chunks too little. On the other side, my friends ordered other things and seemed very pleased with their food. Also our waiter was never to be found and wasn't the nicest when we finally did trek him down.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I like Legal Seafoods regardless of their location. This is close to my office, so it is a convenient place to meet for lunch. But I have eaten at other locations for dinner (and at the airport). Good food, nicely presented.

Been to Legal Sea Foods? Share your experiences!