“Great Food at Good Value”
Review of Penang

Penang
Ranked #567 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Napa, California
“Great Food at Good Value”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The service was average, but the food was very tasty! We ordered many dishes and they were all great and seasoned well. My favorite was the Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice!
A great plus is that the food is prepared quickly!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank wholisa85

• Korean first
Troy, Michigan
“Different/Worthy of Another Try”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Interesting place. My first try of Malay-Chinese food.

Service was spotty---my waitress was also the hostess. She recommended a sampler plate named, I think, Leshak??? It was a curried beef. I believe she told me it was a coconut curry but I really could not taste any coconut. The meat was cubed and was a poorer cut with fat and small bones. There were 2 side dishes both of which seemed like they were made with various pickled vegetables. I noticed that most Asian customers were eating different kinds of noodle soups so it is quite possible that I ordered the wrong thing. The place had an atmosphere that reminded me of a rural area of SE Asia. It seemed clean. I will try it again.

• Visited February 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food, poor service, good atmosphere”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I gave it 4 stars just for the food; service leaves a lot to be desired. That said, go for the martabak appetizer and beef rendang for your main course. Can't go wrong with either.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank bhuparjatak
Porto Alegre, RS
“What a nice surprise !”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went to this restaurant because I was curious to know the Malaysian cuisine. What a nice surprise! I went back twice to taste as many dishes as possible, since the food is really amazing. It was one of the best dining experiences of my entire trip. They serve very good Thay food too.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Antonio D
Boston, Massachusetts
“The worse service”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place is very loud and impersonal. The waitstaff was all over the place but it was like trying to hail a cab in Times Square during rush hour; they just kept rushing by. The food is O.K. but nothing to write home about. There are other good Malaysian restaurants in chinatown with much better waiters who will treat you warmly. I strongly suggest that you boycott this place until they get their act together.

• Visited December 2012

Been to Penang? Share your experiences!