“Great venue” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of blu

blu
Reserve with OpenTable
blu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #446 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont & Washington
Transit: T: Green line to Boylston Street; Orange line to Chinatown; Red line to Park Street
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Had a great Business event here. Staff was great, the outdoor patio was a great, and buffet was great! I also had a great cocktail. Interested in seeing what the regular menu.

Gray, Maine, United States
“Disapoointing food, excellent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I went to Blu prior to seeing a show at the Boston Opera House primarily because of its proximity and what looked like a good menu online. We were dissappointed with the quality of the food but our server was excellent and did everything he could to make our dining experience as good as possible.

We shared all three courses:

Appetizer - Fried Calamari: The calamari itself seemed fresh and was not over-cooked. However, the breading didn't appear to have any seasoning which really took away from the enjoyment. The dish did come with a good olive tepenade, but along with the capers resulted in a bit too much salt.

Salad - Beet Salad: The salad was simple, consisting of cooked beets, blue cheese and a SMALL amount of greens (I believe they were sprouts of some sort). Nothing to get excited about here, I could have made a similar salad by boiling some beets and putting them on a plate with packaged blue cheese crumbles.

Entree - Rack of Lamb: I was excited about this dish only to be disappointed...twice. The presentation was nice and my expectations were growing after I tasted the gorganzola mashed potatoes (these were quite good). Unfortunately, once I cut into the lamb I found it to have been cooked well done. I sent it back to get a rack that was medium rare only to be given a new rack that was medium to medium well done. The seasoning on the lamb was flavorful but thte over-cooked meat was tooo much to ovecome.

To his credit, our server was very appologetic and took the entree off our tab and even comped us coffee and espresso. While I feel we were given a fair bill for the quality of food, there was nothing in the rest of the meal to warrant a return trip.

• Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great cocktails, good food, cool views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I met up with friends at Blu and had a very relaxing evening with the friendly bartender's creative cocktails (I liked the citrusy, not sweet, French 75) and some tasty food. Lobster risotto was delicious and came with very nice greens. The bartender was quick to offer shrimp as a substitute for the standard scallop accompaniment. When it became clear that at least one of our party had had a little too much to drink the bartender very subtly cut us off. Smooth and well done. It was quiet at Blu but then again it was a Tuesday night. The view of downtown streets is very cool.

• Visited August 2013
Ashland, MA, USA
“It's a "has been"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

When it opened it was a very good restaurant but that was quite a while ago. We tried it again last month and the food was inconsistent, the scallops were rubbery, the duck was very good, the lamb chops were not quite tender enough. Don't think I will bother going back for a while. It has lost its edge. What a shame.

• Visited July 2013
San Antonio TX
“Lovely setting, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was here for a business dinner, with 20 colleagues. Blu is a modern setting, with blue hues of lighting, so rather cool ambiance. Wish the food measured up. I will say the smoked mozzarella cheese sticks appetizer was really good, but the calamari was not crispy and rather tasteless. I had the ravioli, but the pasta was tough. One colleague had the lamb chops, which were "OK" and required a lot of sawing with the knife to cut. Someone said the vegetable lasagna was excellent, someone else said the gnocchi was "ok." There are a few house drinks, such as watermelon martini, which is tasty, but how can anyone make watermelon taste bad anyway? So, this is not a place I'm likely to return to. There are so many excellent restaurants in Boston, there's no need to pay this kind of $ for average food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to blu? Share your experiences!