“flavorless”
Review of blu

blu
Reserve with OpenTable
blu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #438 of 3,227 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont & Washington
Transit: T: Green line to Boylston Street; Orange line to Chinatown; Red line to Park Street
“flavorless”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

great space, great view....the food looked great on the menu and on the plate...but of the five plates we received all lacked much flavor. the server was more interested in her conversation than serving.

Massachusetts
“Excellent restaurant, but . . .”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The room is great - intimate and inviting with a nice view of the lights of Boston's resurgent theater district - and the food is excellent and imaginatively presented - my wife and I both had seafood (trout and halibut respectively) and blu's presentation lived up to Boston's reputation as a great seafood town. But here's the thing: blu is in a sports club. You step off the elevator and you get a distinct whiff of locker room. And stepping back on, you're likely to be joined, as we were, by three or four club patrons who are literally dripping sweat - they must be folks who like to shower at home. Takes a little of the shine off what could be a terrific spot.

• Visited August 2012
Boston,MA
“Nice experience......”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Dinner and drinks with 8 women. Atmosphere was great, comfortable and the staff very pleasant. We had multiple apps and desserts as well as a variety of entrees and everything was very good. There is an outside terrace and even though you are right in the middle of the city, it really doesn't feel confined. Nice spot!

Boston, MA
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This restaurant on the edge of Boston's Chinatown and theater districts is a wonderful find. The menu is inventive and fresh, the staff knowledgeable and attentive without hovering.

Like some other reviewers, we used a TravelZoo voucher that included an appetizer, 2 entrees and a dessert. We started with a nice mixed greens salad with apples, walnuts and blue cheese served with a blueberry vinaigrette. The kitchen put it on 2 separate plates and it was plenty enough for 2. My dining companion ordered the vegetable lasagna (served with mixed greens too) and I had the 3-cheese ravioli, which they were happy to serve sans sausage (restaurants that are accommodating to vegetarian diners always rate high in my book). Both entrees were excellent and the lasagna serving was so hearty that nearly half of it traveled home in a doggie bag. They had run out of our first dessert selection (Kahlua Tiramisu), but we really enjoyed the Black Cherry Cake with chocolate ganache and black cherry mousse.

The restaurant is on the same floor as a health club, and although the atmosphere is casual as many people appear to have dinner here after working out, it's elegantly decorated and has a large windows with a view in the direction of Chinatown. It has some private function rooms and an outdoor deck. There is validated parking for the garage at 37 Boylston St.

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening there and will definitely go again. Bill (before coupon) came to $120 and included 2 glasses of wine and 2 cups of coffee in addition to the the appetizers, entrees and dessert. They also have a cafe that serves sandwiches, salads, smoothies and other lighter fare.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Food/Great Service”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband & I went here with a TravelZoo voucher for dinner for 2. It included one appetizer, 2 entrees and one dessert. As an appetizer, we got the Porcini Encrusted Scallops with Pea Puree. It was amazing! The scallops were melt in your mouth good. The mushrooms and pea puree were excellent. I could have just eaten the sauce, it was that good. Yes, I like peas (unlike a lot of people, I know). My husband also got a mixed green salad, which was really good too. It had apples, blue cheese, walnuts and a blueberry vinaigrette. For a main course, I had the Filet Mignon with braised kale, garlic, mashed potatoes with porcini sauce. It was so good!! The filet was swoon worthy. The mashed potatoes with the sauce were really creamy and wonderful. I had never had kale until last night, while not a favorite going forward, I can honestly say it did enhance the dish when you had a little bot of everything together. My husband had the lamb chops. They were very good as well. I don't care for lamb too much, so I did not try it and have to rely on his judgement. For dessert, we had Cinnamon and Orange Creme Brulee. It was wonderful as well. I had a chocolate martini with dinner that was great!

We were here celebrating my birthday. The view is good. There is some construction going on outside the restaurant of new condos going up so that was a little distracting of the view, but it was still good. The floor to ceiling windows are great for watching the skyline. Our server, Red, was very good and we enjoyed his expertise on the menu, since neither of us had ever been before. This would be a perfect before show or after show spot since it is in the heart of the theater district in Boston. It is near Boston Common as well, if you prefer a pretty walk around the park. I highly recommend this for a romantic date or celebration.