“Good Dim Sum and a really good restaurant too”

Chau Chow City Restaurant
Ranked #1,415 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Sushi, Chilean, Chinese, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I like the Dim Sum here and also it has been my restaurant of choice when in Chinatown for a late night dinner. The food is really good and constant quality whenever I have eaten here.

There are newer reviews for Chau Chow City Restaurant

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went here on a cold Saturday morning because of recommendations from various friends. We have had dim sum all over the world, but never in New England, so were excited to have some in Boston's China Town. I had researched here on Trip Advisor and other websites and had decided between Chao Chow City and China Pearl, depending on what others in our group felt like. From reviews, I had the impression that CCC was a bit of a dump, but very good, and CP was a little more "americanized". We decided on CCC and were not disappointed. In fact, we were thrilled! The food was hot and fresh, very well prepared with a huge variety. The restaurant itself is typical of other places we've been, in no way sketchy or questionable. We ordered a huge about from the carts and our bill came to $50 for 5 of us. We can't wait to go back! The only dim sum we've had that beats the quality of Chau Chow City was a place we used to go to in Singapore when we lived there. We're so happy to have found this place! My only complaint is that the carts started rolling up to the table before we even had our coats off and were sitting down, but, really, we didn't mind!

1  Thank Fossettes
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Food was greasy and tasted odd. Would definitely not return. Went here in the advice of a friend. I should have left as soon as we entered. Not busy on a Friday night and smelled like propane. My first instincts were correct the food was very greasy and tasted like it had been propane infused.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This place is about 1 block from the Boston Chinatown entrance so it's alone from the rest of the restaurants, which are all clustered on the other street. I thought I'd be doing myself a favor by getting away from the tourist traps, especially since this place was recommended in a travel guide I had with me. I made a mistake.

First, let me say the travel guide said to get their dim sum but, being that I wanted sweet and sour chicken, I went against their recommendation and the big sign outside the restaurant that says dim sum, so maybe that is what they're good at. The meal I had definitely was not what they were good at.

First, I was seated at a table facing their lobster and fish tank and saw that they had a dead fish, about 2 feet long, still in the tank, though separated from the rest from the partition but still sharing water with the other animals used for meals. It was right then that I was glad I didn't want to order seafood. The decor was seriously dated. The carpet had definitely seem better days, being dingy and well traveled on.

The sweet and sour chicken was not all batter, as some places tend to be. This was all chicken but it lacked flavor and the batter was dark brown and tasted overcooked. The white rice was fine. I originally wanted ice tea but they didn't have it so I went with the hot tea, which was fine.

When it was time to check out I waited for a while for someone to recognize that I was trying to get their attention. At first the 9 waiters were chatting near the kitchen and then, when I was ready for the receipt they were lined up against a wall, which could make your meal uncomfortable if they're watching you eat the whole time. 9 waiters were lined up and not one brought my check when I finally asked. I had to ask a couple of times before they found someone who could be bothered to print the ticket.

I'd say that if you like dim sum, maybe give them a chance but, considering how many places there are around, I'd say try some place else first.

1  Thank SlyTheFox
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Well! my favorite Dim Sum place closed a few years back. That left fewer choices. This is a decent one, with parking. Others are just more hassles accessing. Chow Chow City has a few more adventurous choices than the others. I have a few favorite dishes and always had those first on the table. Cost are ok. The place is a bit old and run-down, twenty years later. It definitely needs a good face lift.

Been to Chau Chow City Restaurant? Share your experiences!