“Great food”
Review of Durgin Park

Durgin Park
Reserve with OpenTable
Durgin Park is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #213 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Clinton and North
Transit: Green line-Government Center Orange line-Haymarket Blue line-State St
Description: For well over a century, Durgin-Park has catered to the hearty appetites of straw-hatted, white-aproned, market men and local characters. Take part in Boston history as you step into one of the oldest continuously running establishments in the country. At Durgin-Park, we serve history.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was the best meal we had in Boston. The service was great, the food was fresh and cooked to perfection. The waiter was great and i left feeling I got good value.

There are newer reviews for Durgin Park

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stopped at the famous (or infamous) Durgin Park for lunch on Christmas Eve day. Started with great Bloody Marys in the bar (if you like them spicy this is the place for you) then moved upstairs to the dining room so my husband (who had never been before) could "experience" Durgin Park. We both started with New England clam chowder (chowda for those of us from New England). For his main course my husband ordered fish and chips and I opted for the clam roll. His fish and chips order was "large" and he said it was wonderful. My clam roll had some of the sweetest, freshest Ipswich clams I can ever recall having. What a treat since now living "inland", whole belly clams are never on the menu. My brother in law had the famous pot roast and my sister enjoyed the French Dip. All the portions were more than ample and everything tasted great. My only recommendation? Save room for the Indian pudding. I don't know of anywhere else you can get it. We didn't, so that means a definite return trip for us.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were lued in here by a TV show that featured their 32 oz. gigantic prime rib and the crocks of Boston Baked Beans. We thought this would be a great addition to our Boston dining experience --but--we were wrong. This actually was the worst place we went to eat while in the city during the Holidays. My partner and I both chose the 16 oz prime rib and our friend got a bolied lobster. Granted, lobster is hard to mess up when boiled unless overcooked, so our friend was satisfied with his. My partner and I however, were sadly disappointed. The texture of the meat was not melt in your mouth like good prime rib, and, it was served with NO au jus, or horseradish. Just plain meat arrived on the plate and it was barely, if at all, seasoned. Our waiter seemd a bit distracted and, even though there was a big selection of micro-brews (craft beers) n the menu, it seems they were out of all the ones I wanted. The bartender ended up going downstairs(basement?) to look for some of the ones we requested and couldn't seem to find them. It took quite a bit of time before I scored one from the long menu of offering, but we ordered two of that variety and they could only find one beer left of it. My partner let me have this one and he opted for a Sam Adams just to hurry things along. Next, I was REALLY looking forward to trying real Boston Baked Beans. What arrived on our table was bland and almost tasteless! We are from down South and will both tell you that our baked beans are much, much better. These tasted like they took a can of beans(Van Camps?) and added a little seasoning, maybe something sweet to them. They didn't seem baked either, but rather dumped into the little crock in which they were served. Also, we had to order the crock size of the beans because as a side, the waiter only offered a little side dish of them. What a waste of time and money. This was hands-down the worst prime rib I ever had and the beans were sad too. I will never go here again, not will I ever listen to the hype of this "historic and famous" Boston landmark. It was definitely not worth the money we paid. Every other meal we had in Boston, including in some of the irish Pubs and non-descript taverns were ultimately superior to what we got here. I sincerely hope they get their act together since Boston is not a cheap place to visit. In today's up and down economy, a restaurant with any respectability and decent customer care ethic should be offering its customers quality food when charging above average prices. Perhaps the people who own this establishment will heed this rating and get it together? Looking at some other comments on TripAdvisor, I can see I am not the only person who has experienced this.

percival21, Manager at Durgin Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for notifying us of your complaint. We strive to provide you and all of our patrons with the best food and service imaginable. We are glad that you made us aware that we miserably failed your expectations and we regret any frustration that our dining experience has caused you.

We would love to invite and your two guests for a second visit. We would like you to give us the opportunity to rectify your experience and erase this unfortunate experience at Dugin-Park. We hope you can give us a second chance, please call and ask to speak with me, Patricia Reyes, our number 617-227-2038. We thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and we know we can change this experience around for you and your guests.

Patricia Reyes
Durgin-Park Restaurant
340 Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Boston, MA 02109
617-227-2038 Office

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Yes, it's probably dated, with the waitresses int heir uniforms and the famioly style tables. Even the menu may seemed dated with what is being served, but, it is still somewhere I like to eat when in Boston. The Yankee Pot Roast, and the turkey are both very good and really not like a meal you would normally get at any restaurant. The meals are homey and warming and nostalgic. The best part for me is the Indian Pudding with the whipped cream, it never fails to please.

I would not recommend Durgin Park in the summer as these are pretty heavy meals, with rich gravy and root vegetables. It may be tough to down a Yankke Pot Roast and head out onto the Freedom Trail in 90 degree heat, but for an end of the day meal in the fall, it is really great. That is my favorite time to eat there. It may not be for everyone, but it does it for me.

1  Thank GoodFood88
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with our experience at Durgin Park. I was alittle hesitant when I saw the red checkered table clothes. This is not fancy but great FOOD!Carlos our waiter was amazing. So attentive. The food was awesome. I had salmon, very fresh and tasty with a pesto butter. My son had the lobster and steak, which was great too. My husband had the Porterhouse steak which was melt in your mouth. The portions including the sides are plentiful. Will definitely return.

Been to Durgin Park? Share your experiences!