“Downtown with style”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Downtown with style”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Great location to stay - right downtown in Boston. Very confortable rooms and beds.
It's an old police station complex that has been renovated - some old police memorabilia can still be seen in the basement level bar complex.

Breakfast offering was basic, but the night time bar offering more than made up for this.

I liked this place as it had windows that could be opened up slightly - so I didnt need to run the air con all night long.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stratham, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have stayed for business many times at the Loews Boston hotel, and each time I have been glad that I chose the hotel. The people are very friendly, and the location is in a prime spot in Back Bay. The rooms are not huge, but many have glassed-in tile showers, which are very nice. The hotel is very clean, and has a lot of charm. The Cuffs bar in the lower lever is excellent - great food and great service. I highly recommend this hotel for a trip to the heart of Boston.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Just returned from 2 days at Loews. My 5th visit to Boston and by far the best hotel I have stayed in there.
Large comfortable rooms, big bathrooms, staff very helpful and friendly. Great location for all the shopping/dining so can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed in the hotel twice during the World Series. Staff is fabulous, hotel is in a great location and it was the Boston Police Department many years ago. Late night front desk staff absolutely wonderful. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

First time in Boston and this hotel seemed to be in the perfect spot at a great price and I was not disappointed. Just a couple blocks from Copley Square and the Prudential Center. The room was comfortable, bed was great, bathrooms clean and in good condition. The restaurant at the hotel served delicious breakfast. Most importantly - the service - the valet/doorman was top rate. Front desk helpful and efficient and everyone always had a warm greeting and welcome. Not once was there any inconsistency and I know how hard that can be to achieve. Great spot and will stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I checked into the Loews Boston on November 13th for two nights. I am a usual W, Westin, occasional Hilton, and more recently Sofitel occupant. This is my first experience in a Loews hotel.

I am pretty generally unimpressed. I paid $429 a night for a room with no bath tub. I guess I wouldn’t mind that, I can scrunch on the shower floor and shave my legs, but I would expect other things at that level to be amazing. However, the room is small, with a small desk, a well-worn desk chair that lists slightly to the left, and mismatched lamps. There is an emerald green lamp that clearly came from somewhere else, possibly the emerald city. Bed is comfortable enough and nice pillows in my book, but a coverlet of synthetic…nylon? One interesting feature of the room is a high-end cd player and speakers. I have not actually held a cd in a few years.

One of the main feature I pick hotels on is the internet. I stay at nice places because I have to work out of the rooms, and I travel with a second screen, so I like a big desk. I do cloud based work, almost entirely out of Google drive. Loews hotel said when I called in advance that there was high speed internet, with upgrades if you needed to steam video. There is internet, it is not high speed and churns for a bit on email etc. The internet gets better late night, I think there may not be the bandwidth in the hotel to handle the usage, so working late becomes easier.

The staff seems fine. I work in the Silicon Valley, so I realize I dress like an oversized child, and make all my reservations on hipmunk, and I think that downgrades me a bit. But that is also Boston.

I have been crawling up the east coast for work, and compared the Sofitel and Westin, this is kind of a shame. If the prices were equal, this would be the worst, and since this is the most expensive by a bit, the bang-for-the-buck really isn’t there.

I can recommend the Westin @ Copley personally, and the guy on the Accela coming up with me said that the Marriot was quality. So if you are trying to stay in Back Bay, stick with one of those.

*Loews says they are remodeling soon to become a boutique hotel. If so, they should follow the Virgin America brand building model and keep their prices low until they are what they hope to be.

Room Tip: I asked for I high level room with any view they have and got something on the third floor over look...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TrevelBot
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Enjoyed a fantastic stay here. Nice to sleep somewhere with a little bit of history about it.

First impressions are good - doormen are nice and friendly and the reception team were great. Our rooms were all spacious and well set out. Bathroom was luxurious, as was the bed itself.

An hour after arrival we were in the annexed bar downstairs sipping some local beer and drinking in the atmosphere - this hotel gave a perfect introduction to Boston. It's also very well located - we walked everywhere from here.

Very much recommended.