“Beautiful Boston at Christmas”
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

Loews Boston Hotel
Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Another late review but better late than never!
We stayed at the Back Bay Hotel for 5 nights in December for a pre Christmas break. I notice it has now moved into the Loews Hotel Chain. The rooms were a good size with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was also a good size and very clean. The hotel corridors were quiet and we didnt hear loads of doors banging etc. We couldnt hear any noise from the room next door. The lobby & reception area is small but functional and they served hot drinks in the lounge area each morning. Cuffs Irish bar is very warm & cosy and the food we ate in there was of a good standard. All the staff in the hotel were polite & courteous and we encountered no customer service issues. We walked the freedom trail in the rain and it was fun all the same.
Boston is very Christmassy in December and thats what we like. Lots of tree lights and decorations, carol singers, store displays etc. There is also an ice rink on the common in Winter. If you're a pet lover like me, make sure you visit Fish & Bone pet boutique on Newbury St. Its a dream of a shop to get something special for your furry friend.
All in all, liked everything about this hotel. Location was handy for Copley Square, all the main shopping areas and the historic trail & there is a train station round the corner. We caught a train to Salem and it was no hassle at all. There are plenty restaurants / fast food outlets / street food & Starbucks in the area so not short of choice when going out to eat.
We got a really good deal on this hotel on a package with Virgin so felt that we definitely got value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone considering a trip to Boston. For a short break, location is key and this hotel definitely ticks the box without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator is what I always ask for
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights this past week with my husband. The staff is delightful and charming; helpful and professional.

Great decor in the lobby area. Wonderful room- super comfy bed- everything you need- Kuerig in the room, frette towels, cleaned tv remote. I'd recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PattersonBoston
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Plush bed people! Everything else is an added bonus!

For a retrofitted police station this Hotel is amazing and unique! Art is modern and tasteful and inviting colors throughout. Our bedroom was surprisingly roomy. Simple, but elegant decor.

We are here for just a few days before a business conference. Will definitely be coming back to explore more of Boston, but in the meanwhile, the Back Bay is full of history and interested places to see and eat within walking distance from hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget to mention you have AAA.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm a travel agent and recently stayed at the Loews Boston with my husband and two small children. I have been to Boston many times before and as a travel agent I like to try new places when I can. I was interested in the Loews particularly because the Loews Brand had taken over this property from a previous hotel and I wanted to see it for myself. I also liked the history of the building and knowing that it used to be the old police station was very interesting. Check-in for us was early and they quickly accommodated us which was very nice, especially when traveling with young kids. They didn't have any extra special check-in treats for the children, which most high-end brands do, but it could have been because they are a newer property & either way, this had no effect on our stay. The front desk staff were so friendly and the concierge quickly helped us book a tour and got us started on our day. We had a Premier room which was larger than a standard and very spacious and comfortable. The bedding and linens were all great and the beds were extra comfortable. My son made a comment that he just wanted to stay in and sleep on the beds all day. On our first night we actually ordered room service and the kids borrowed monopoly from the front desk and we stayed in. This is what the kids wanted to do and they loved it! The room service food was standard fare for a hotel but the food was delivered very quickly by another friendly staff member. Everyone we came across at this property were very kind and very helpful. You can tell this hotel is very well-managed. The design and craftmanship of the building is very interesting too. Each day we would notice new crown molding feature or special lighting that made this property stand out to me. If you stay here, take the time to observe all the little details in the design. I thought this was a very unique and interesting building that made our stay extra special. While at the hotel, we had a drink before dinner in the lounge which was warm and cozy and a perfect Boston lounge. The area itself is one of my families favorites and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. We easily walked to Boston Commons park, Newbury Street, Boylston and more. If you are in Boston to explore, this is a great spot to start! On our first day, we walked to the Prudential center(5 minute walk) to catch a Duck Tour, which was so convenient. We also easily hopped on the train and got to all the places we wanted to see very easily. Check-out was a breeze too as all the doorman and luggage handlers were very helpful from the start of our trip until the end. Thank you Loews for a great stay! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to one of my clients or to my agency & I will definitely visit again soon!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChristinaFLA
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can't say enough how fabulous the staff was at the Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel! We had a late arrival and a last minute change (3rd guest joined us). The gracious young man at the check-in desk (I feel horrible for not having his name in front of me as I type this) upgraded our room for free to accomodate a roll-away bed. The valet graciously handled our filthy car (dirt from country living). The room steward was the sweetest gentleman and brought more than enough extra towels. Check-out was seemless and painless.

Our room was well appointed and spacious enough for 3 women to rest and move about comfortably. We were on the 6th floor facing Stuart Street. The bathroom was huge and plenty of counter space for toiletries. The room was clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Very quiet - it was a holiday weekend so no construction was going on. It's a busy city so some noise is to be, and should be, expected. One small observation: For the level the Loews operates at, I was surprised at the quality of the roll-away mattress. Solution: a thick memory foam mattress topper?

The location is excellent for shopping at Copley and the Prudential Center (a couple of blocks away); Newbury Street and the Boston Public Garden are also only a couple of blocks away. The Theatre District is within walking distance (3-4 blocks) as well.

I will definitly be staying here again the next time I travel to Boston!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I found this hotel to be friendly, quaint, clean, and convenient. The staff were competent and therefore as a whole service was good. The rooms -at least mine was -small small small. And I think the rate was something like $579 per night. I suppose since it is Boston, they can get away with it. The room was tiny but clean and nicely appointed. Nice linens, spacious bathroom, and completely updated. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: Careful not to get a view of a brick wall!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a long weekend during the recent 4th of July holiday. The location is spectacular; only a short walk to Copley Square and conveniently located to the Arlington T stop. The staff was very professional, friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very nice and comfortable and clean. The hotel architecture is pretty cool as it was the Boston PD Headquarters.

During our visit, there was a severe heatwave and this hotel was an oasis to come back to every day. The air conditioning in the room and hotel lobby was nice and cold!
I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple