“We were pleased to return again, a smart hotel in a good area.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Checkley, United Kingdom
“We were pleased to return again, a smart hotel in a good area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We returned to the Back Bay after 2 years. Once again all the staff were very professional,always helpful and friendly. From the moment I stepped out of my hire car to the moment we left in heavy rain, the staff were courteous and welcoming. Thankyou!!! The breakfast was excellent, but we were disappointed that we could not have an evening meal in the Stanhope Grill. Cuffs bar seemed less busy than before. Food and drink still good. Great location, quiet but elegant and a great style. We hope it does not change too much, keep up the standards. Our room and bathroom was large, comfortable and clean. I would like to return when I am in Boston.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor on Stuart st was quiet. We had a Premier room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

iselin, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Beware when booking a Deluxe King ... They vary widely.

I first got room 436 which was about 260 sq ft, which made me feel like I was staying in Italy. Curtain was stained and an open pack of q-tips was left in the bathroom.

Came back from walking around and asked what made my room deluxe and not a superior, she told me it was a King deluxe. Once I complained about the size and asked if there were any other size rooms, she explained that my "deluxe" ranges from 260 to 339 sq ft. I asked for one of those and got one.

The 339 sq ft room was nicer but still nothing I would write home about for the price. The bathroom needs updating, since the tub was not as nice as the tile shower in the smaller room. Also, the CHEAP shower curtains must go, buy a cloth one somewhere. (Or glass door)

Valet was expensive ($46) but not abnormal for Boston. They seem understated since we had to wait awhile when pulling in (didn't feel comfortably leaving car with hazards on sitting in Stuart Street).

Cake from restaurant was delicious and the location was key. I'd stay at Fairmont next time unless they drop the prices.

With this, I know the hotel is renovating since they just bought into Boston but I hope they redo the bathrooms and do something about the paper thin doors and walls, if staying on business I would definitely not choose here. (Wifi is included).

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very convenient location if you need to be downtown. Room was tiny with one small window and night stand wasn't actually 'bedside' because of wall space. Only room for one suitcase. Not even a coffee maker in the room! On the upside - the hotel restaurant (attached to pub) is excellent and the service and food an easy 5 star. Odd thing is that the concierge doesn't give a recommendation for the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for the second time after 2years. Although I enjoyed my first stay, it was not the case for the second time.
As we arrived, no one helped us with our luggage nor opened the door for us. The check-in was cold and totally unfriendly.
The room was the same as I remembered but just really warned out. Less decoration, furniture old and dated. The air cond made lots of noise so impossible to have it on at night. Thank god, the weather wasn't too great when we were in Boston so we were ok at night. The gym downstairs is tiny.
What really did it though is that on our last day the fire alarm went on at 7am..... No one was sure what was going on so I phoned reception and they told us to go down. Once down at reception, no apologies just a: that's nothing you can go back up to your rooms!
We were checking out an hour later and the lady still didn't apologise about this (even after I mentioned it).... She however didn't forget to charge me SEVEN dollars for a small bottle of water!
Definitely not a 4stars experience... Won't be back and won't recommend it!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have stayed at several hotels in the area. This by far was the best. Is it perfect, no. Is anything? When in this area of Boston, all hotels are priced about the same. However the difference from other hotels in the area was every member of the staff was friendly and courteous, from the Doorman to the General Manager.

The rooms were clean and fresh smelling and quite. I read several of the reviews and as did many of the reviewers had a great stay. I didn't experience the noise and I don't drink coffee so that wasn't an issue for me.

The hotel was recommended to me and I will recommend this hotel to others. Thanks for a great stay. We will be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank RonEmery
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Property and rooms ok, previously this was the Back Bay Hotel and is not up to Loews standards. We turned the A\C off as it was noisy, and opened the window, we were woken at 11pm by building work outside which went on all night and continued all day. The hotel claimed not to know about it despite there being a building permit, so they would have had to known. Even when the window is closed it makes no difference to the noise levels, the windows aren't double glazed. They offered us a late check out till 12' we demanded until 3pm so our child could have a sleep as he had been awake all night. No tea and coffee making facilities in the room, not the standard I expected for a $ 400 night stay. It's on a pretty busy noisy road and next to an intersection anyway. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 830 and I think all of the rooms around the 28 and 30 on all floors are next to the lifts so no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
St. Paul,MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Paid $506.04 for two nights for a deluxe king room. Walking in we first noticed the carpet looked dirty/stained. The TV countertop also looked very dirty but was actually damaged. It just looked bad when walking into the room and was very noticeable. Room was large enough for the king bed but not much more. The bathroom garbage can foot control opener did not work, so we had to open with our hands. After walking all day we came back to the room and discovered that the room temperature was very, very warm (actually hot). We couldn't turn the heat down or off! We waited in the hallway until the problem was corrected by the hotel maintenance person. This problem was handled efficiently.
On the positive side the staff was very friendly. The doormen were always smiling and cordial. Starbucks coffee offered in the main lobby area in the morning, however there wasn't a coffee maker in the room. The location is very convenient to the subway or within walking distance to many sites. The bed and pillows were comfortable and we didn't have any problems with noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms.
Our room certainly needs some updates to improve it's appearance. Not sure I would pay this much for the same type of room again. Definitely not a luxury hotel room. If I stayed here again I would request to see the room first before committing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple