“Lovely staff, decent rooms, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Loews Boston Hotel

Loews Boston Hotel
Ranked #19 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Lovely staff, decent rooms, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Loews Boston for 3 nights at the beginning of May. We were greeted by a friendly and polite member of staff on reception (unfortunately didn't get his name but he was a German guy), it was lovely to be so warmly welcomed after a long flight.

Our room was a decent size (bigger than many in European cities) and whilst not all that modern it suited our needs and was clean. We did notice that there was no tea or coffee facilities which is odd for a 4* hotel. The shower was incredible and the bathroom was a good size. The bed was comfortable (although my husband found it a bit too soft). Air conditioning was effective but loud - not a problem for me but it might annoy others.

The location was good, plenty of lovely restaurants/cafes nearby and only a few minutes from Boylston Street and Copley Square. It took us 30 minutes to walk to Aquarium (where the harbour cruises/whale watching go from) or about 15 minutes on the subway.

Overall I would recommend as it was good value for money for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Last may during Mother's Day weekend my family of four and my mother in law drive to Boston to meet family for a college graduation. My husbands cousin lives and and went to college in Boston. The hotel was very sophisticated and set in a great location to walk everywhere! I have 2 preteen boys and I was afraid the place would be too snobby but I was wrong! Everyone was very welcoming and it made for a great visit and special Mother's Day! The rooms were modern and clean with a great bathroom. Cuffs was a great place to grab a bite and hang out. If we should visit again this will definitely be a hotel I will stay in!

• Stayed May 2013
Redbourn, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from an anniversary trio where we stayed at the Back Bay following recommendations. It was our first trip to Boston and this hotel could not have been better located for access to all the sights, restaurants and shops that we wanted to visit. We'd requested a room on the upper floor and were more than happy with our 9th floor location. The beds after a long haul flight from the uk are super comfortable and really are a highlight of the room. Really could not fault to hotel. We didn't dine in the hotel but other reviews of Flour around the corner wer very handy as we visited there for our local breakfast stops before setting out for the day. Had an enjoyable hour or so in the bar meeting visitors who were all keen to chat and share their stories of the locality.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from the street noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location, good service.

Was booked here by my company - nice rooms, a bit small but that is what you get in the big cities like Boston, NY and SF.

Free Coffee in the mornings.

Good food options at the hotel.

Gym needs a bit help.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor away from the elevator - quite room, great AC in the room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Staying here for the weekend, pretty pleased with the hotel overall. Rooms are clean, average sized, and quiet.

What was not OK however, was the doorman. The one wearing a Boston Hat. My sister and I came out to the street to get a cab, and he was off to the side talking to a buddy. After standing there looking at him for a few moments as to not interrupt his conversation, I finally interrupted him and asked for a cab, he replied "there is one around the corner at the cab stand". I have never stayed at a hotel and been told to walk around the corner for a cab. I am more then capable of getting my own cab, but do take advantage of the convienance of a doorman when they are available, and was appalled when he told me to just go around the corner. After walking down the street, we found no cab or cab stand (which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist) and came back. He (still talking to his buddy) looked at me and said "was there no cab there?" Clearly if I am still standing here, there was no cab. He said "ok we'll get you one" and continued talking and made no effort to get us a cab. By this point, the valet guy had walked over and overheard the doorman mention getting us a cab, and thankfully called one for us, as there weren't any in sight.

I was astonished at the kind of service we received at this hotel. I know this is a rather long story, but my point is that, with all of the hotels in Boston, it only takes one bad interaction to ruin an otherwise perfectly good visit. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear khafford,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unacceptable service lapse you experienced this weekend. It is very disappointing to read your post and I can understand the level of frustration you experienced. We will address this immediately with all of our door staff but I would welcome an opportunity to discuss further and hope you have the time to email me directly at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at the Back Bay in March with our 6 year old daughter. When we arrived in the evening tired after flight we were met by Brendan the doorman who made us feel really welcome. Check in took a while as the staff member was on her own and had to keep answering the phone at the same time as checking us in. Really happy with room spacious,quiet,relaxing with an immaculate bathroom. The cleaning staff do an amazing job our room was spotless throughout our 5 night stay As mentioned in other reviews tea & coffee facilities or at least some bottled water on arrival would have been appreciated.Great location subway was 5 mins walk away loads of lovely shops,resturants and parks around the corner. We loved the relaxed atmosphere of the Back Bay liked the complementary Starbucks coffee & newspapers in the mornings. The staff really made our stay special especially the doorman Brendan who when he found out our daughter had lost her soft toy arranged for a replacement to be waiting in our room when we returned after a day out.My daughter was over the moon when she found it. We really recommend this hotel it was so relaxing, friendly but with excellent standards & service. Boston is a great city and if you want a homely hotel with great staff the Back Bay hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear rainbow369,
Thank you very much for the great review! We will be sure to share this with our entire team so they can understand how an individual can significantly impact one’s stay. We had previously caught wind of Brendon’s actions to replace your daughter’s toy along with the note he left and, as a result, Brendon was nominated for our Team Member of the month of March. We are fortunate to have Brendon as part of our team and are thrilled that he saw an opportunity to provide a ‘Wow’ and did so on his own, on his free time!

We appreciate you sharing your experience and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was my second visit to The Back Bay and since then Loews group took it over. Unfortunately all the nice little things that compensated for the not-so-great rooms etc are gone with the other group. Complimentary water bottles are gone (now $7 a bottle in the room), newspaper that was delivered to the door every morning is gone. Also for our whole reservation of 9 people, they held the full amount in my colleague's credit card, which triggered a fraud alert from her bank. The only good thing that happened was that they allowed a late check out for me on saturday, other than that I would give it a miss next time, there are a lot of other hotels in the close vicinity that will roughly cost the same if booked in advance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Leolion13,
We appreciate your review and I am very sorry that you feel as though you aren’t receiving the same value you received prior to Loews taking the property over in February. While I understand your frustration, rest assured the two items you mentioned are still very much available. While, yes, we do charge for water, if you request turndown service, a bottle of water is available complimentary. I would strongly encourage you to join YourFirst, the Loews Hotels Guest Loyalty Program. By doing so, you will not have to request the service with each visit. Once you join, all you have to do is tell us once that you would like turndown, and you will receive turndown at every Loews hotel you stay at. Obviously, there are other great perks for being part of the program and this is just one of them.

As for the newspapers, in our lounge off the lobby, we carry all the same newspapers we had prior to conversion. Just let us know what paper(s) you would like delivered to your room and consider it done! This is actually part of our ‘Green’ initiative. I am sure you can relate to the amount of waste that is recycled daily when delivering newspapers to every room as the majority of guests will not take or use the newspaper and it goes directly into the garbage. Once we renovate early in 2013, there will be a beautiful credenza on each floor, near the elevator, so the newspapers will be readily available once you leave your room.

And, lastly, my apologies to your co-worker as it certainly wasn’t our intention to cause an inconvenience. It is standard procedure at any hotel to take authorization on a credit card for the total room and tax, plus a set amount for incidentals each day, so we can bill the card at the end of your stay. Please extend our most sincere apologies to your friend for us.

We hope you decide to stay with us again! In that regard, please email me directly at john.maibach@loewshotels.com so I may personally tend to your reservation.