“Great Home Base”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland
“Great Home Base”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Staff awesome. Breakfast pricey. Room was incredible. Great bathroom with walk in showers. I heard no noise that was mentioned in other reviews. Cuffs Bar is a grear place to grad a drink. Steve the bartender and Jill the server make you feel welcome. Will be back for sure

JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your experience with us! I will be sure to share your comments not only with Jill and Steve but with the rest of our team as well! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I will be v. fair when writing this review. First, Customer service. I am Tablet member and this was a Tablet Plus hotel, so I was supposed to received certain additional amenities with my stay. They did recognize that when I checked -in but unfortunately when I asked for them, I never received them. I understand this hotel is now officially a Loews hotel and maybe things will change.

Second, the architecture is gorgeous. The lobby and restaurant are v nice. However, it is a different story with the standard rooms. I switched my room 3 times because of stained furniture, carpeting and well, everything was just old looking. I couldn't believe this was a Tablet Hotel. The bathrooms are v. nice. They have heated towel racks which was great. However, it is v. European so the tub has no shower curtain or door. It is v. traditional. The shower is separate and does have great water pressure.

The Kings Size room that I had was comfortable. It was just old and outdated. It was a waste of space. a small round table with a Nespresso on it in the corner with a chair. The dresser had a cd player/stereo that did not get good frequency and even the furniture did not look elegant it just looked cheap and old. I asked for a reduction in my rate because it wasn't worth what I was paying and the pics I saw when I booked it looked nothing like that. My fault for not using Trip Advisors handy " user submitted pics". They always tell you the real deal.

If it wasn't for the bathroom I would have left.

Room Tip: Book a suite or wait until after April when the renovations are complete.
2 Thank stilettolexy
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the poor experience. Loews took over this property on February 11th and while a full renovation is planned for later this year, we are proactively addressing some of the cleanliness issues you observed immediately. While we recognize that the property does need an upgrade, there is no excuse for cleanliness issues or not providing your amenity upon arrival. I appreciate you sharing your experience so we have the opportunity to correct the issue and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
nantucket
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Waited for my car to be parked and had to interrupt the vallet to ask if this was The Back Bay Hotel. After waiting, and being charged $46 per night of parking, I carried my bags inside. The front desk staff was very friendly; they gave me the wifi pass, as well as offered their 24 hour attention. I went up to my room to discover a noisy ally out my window. If you're looking for a nice location and friendly front staff this is the place for you. If you have a car, don't bring it here! If you are one for modern decor, comfort, quiet, or a view this is not the place for you.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your recent post and please accept my most sincere apologies for your poor experience. It appears your first impression was not very good and we continued to fall short of your expectations. I have shared your comments with our Director of Front Office as well as our Valet Company and they join me in offering our apologies.

Because we do not have our own garage, we do outsource the service. While the team is an extension of ours and their performance is a reflection of Loews, the $46 fee to valet park overnight is in line with all other Boston hotels in a similar situation (all charge $43 - $48). Regardless of the fee, the team must be more attentive and, while disappointing to read, I do appreciate you sharing the experience.

As for the décor, Loews took over the property on February 11 and is planning a full renovation to begin later this year, that will transform the lobby space, guest rooms and our food and beverage offering, with little impact to the guest experience.

I would be remiss if I did no tthank you for the kind comments regarind our front desk team, which I have shared with all!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Braintree, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start by saying that Code 4 is Boston Police jargon for a Headquarters assignment. For those that don't know it, the Back Bay Hotel was formerly Boston Police Headquarters, located at 154 Berkeley St. The front entrance has been moved to Stuart St, hence the new address. I spent several years working in this building during my career. The original building only had 7 floors, with the 7th floor, known as "The Turret", being dedicated to communications, including dispatching and 911 operators. The sixth floor held the office of the Police Commissioner and the Bureau of Field Services, to which all uniformed officers are assigned.

I have stayed at this hotel twice, once when it was owned by Jury's and recently under their current owners. During my most recent stay, we had a room on the ninth floor, in a Premium King room. Everything was as We expected it to be including a complementary Nespresso espresso machine. I have to say that the pillow top bed is one of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in. The only complaint I had about my stay was that the air in the room was extremely dry. Some type of humidifier would have made the room air more comfortable.

We were very pleased with the service we got from the staff, and the accommodations made by the restaurant staff at both the Stanhope Grill and Cuffs Bar.

Since we live in the Boston area, we were not concerned with convenience to tourist areas, but the hotel is a short walk from Copley Square and the shops on Newbury Street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dragfactor
Being new to the property, thank you very much for your post as it helped me better understand the history of the building! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team so our team members understand the impact they have on one's visit. Our new Executive Chef has worked very hard at improving the dining experience in both the Stanhope Grille and Cuffs and hopefully you noticed the improvements to the menu already.

While an extensive renovation is planned for later this year, we are wasting no time on improving the guiest experience, wheether it be in food and beverage or in your guest room.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your expereince and we hope to welcome you back to you old home soon! That's a big 10-4!!!!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here several times but I cannot compare it much to other hotels in the area nor can I comment on the price; I stay here for corporate trips. Needless to say, I like it. The rooms are reliably good and quiet. The staff is courteous and the hotel food isn't bad. I specifically had french onion soup and the Turkey BLT on my last trip and in both cases was pleasantly surprised.

County Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel has recently changed from being Doyle Collection to Loews.
I had a room on the 2nd floor. It was not very big but comfortable, clean and well equipped apart from the lack of coffee maker. There is a fridge which is replenished with mineral water daily.
A/C worked well and was easy to control but a little noisy to leave on all night.
The room was quite noisy - deliveries were made at around 4am outside. I have stayed in hotels in Central Boston before and have never had this issue.
Breakfast was good but quite expensive and not many options if you just want something small - its kind of 'all or nothing'.
Staff were friendly - no problems there.
Position is good - around 5 minutes walk to Copley T station.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I loved my 4 day getaway from NYC. The hotel's location was great, an easy walk or inexpensive cab ride or just hopping on the T to sightsee, shop or take in a show. The hotel staff was very pleasant friendly and helpful. Especially Stephanie who helped plan our daily itineraries. Gave us a few pointers on what was worth checking out in the area. She also helped setup a Spa appointment for me. I visited the Museums, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market. Prudential Observation Skywalk. Short walk to Newbury Street with plenty of shops. The bathroom size was great and I enjoyed the toiletries (aromatherapy) Heavenly. The decor was very cozy, fireplaces and warm tones. The Bar was decent and priced about average.

Cons: There was no coffee or hot water for tea in room. Although they served Starbuck's coffee in the nice lounge next to the lobby. That aside great stay.

• Stayed January 2013