“Boston's 3 star hotel of best value”

Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center
Ranked #60 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Boston's 3 star hotel of best value”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I was a frequent world business traveler from 1998 to 2008. So it's time to consume my frequent traveler's points for FREE vacations. I researched all four chains at Boston for my family vacation: Marriott (Marriott near Boston Harbor, Residence Inn, Courtyard at Tufts Medical Center, etc), Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, W, Four Point at the airport, etc), Hilton (Hilton at financial district, DoubleTree at Tufts Medical center, embassy Suite, 3 of the Hampton Inns, etc), and Hyatt (at the airport). This Hampton Inn offered the best value for my needs.

One of the reasons I chose this hotel is that the General Manager Philip Tucker interacted on this TripAdvisor site. So I exchanged emails with him and decided to give it a shot.

Pros (clean and best of value):
1. Hand-on friendly management staff (Every morning at the breakfast area, you will see Philip walking around, smiling and asking every guest about their experience, and he's ready to address it on spot.)
2. This is a VERY clean and newer facility throughout. It makes me feel this is almost a Hilton Garden Inn.
3. Free shuttles to airports and downtown tourist spots ( hotel to Prudential, Boston Common, Aquarium, back to hotel)
4. Free breakfast: pretty good for free breakfast. Guess the quality has improved after someone commented at this site in the past and Philip intervened.
5. Fairly convenient to Buses and Ts. This is the reason I chose this Hampton Inn versus the other two). You can get on 1 or CT1 buses and get to the Ts easily (Silver Line to Chinatown, Orange Line to Aquarium/Children Museum, and Green Line to Science center/Galleria/Charles River boat tour).
6. Swimming pool. It's a shallow one 3 1/2 feet. Great for my toddler daughter.

Cons:
1. Front desk staff could smile more and be more friendlier compared to other hotels.
2. Shuttle driver wasn't consistently reliable on schedule. I talked to Philip and he started a sign-up sheets for shuttles. Things improved!!
3. Ambulance noise could be bad as the medical center ER is right across the street. Some guests commented previously. But it isn't bad for us at all, and it's just typical busy city noise like the NYC we stayed a week earlier. Recommend you get a higher floor and the opposite end from street. That's what we got.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank WorldTraveler1688

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Very happy with the hotel. Room's clean, bed's comfortable, internet connection is good and comes with a little kitchenette. Breakfast spread is so-so and breakfast area is rather congested in the morning.

As location is a bit out of the way, the hotel provides the complementary hourly shuttle bus that brings you to the waterfront area, where you catch your trains. You can also catch the complementary shuttle to the airport.

Nice place. Will definitely return the next visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Orlando
Reviewed July 4, 2010

First, the hotel is new so the rooms are nice. I guess everyone is coming here because of price or being next to the hospitals.
Because the hospitals are right very close to the hotel, there are MANY sirens at all times of the day. It’s a very noisy location. Also be very careful if you working outside around the hotel at night. It’s not the best neighborhood. There are a few restaurants up a few blocks on Washigton. The free breakfast is just average. The hotel bar needs to get a few more CD’s to play. I was there a few times during my two week stay and everytime I was in there they had the same Journey CD on, guest they never heard of I-Tunes…..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Ball, Louisiana
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I chose this hotel based on a decent price for a nice room. CONS: The hotel was far away from the train/subway station. It was a decent walk to get anywhere. The hotel is also far away from the main places you might be coming to Boston to see such as the museum, aquarium, market etc. The shuttle took a really long time to get to the airport, and we did call ahead. It was frustrating to watch other hotels' shuttles come and go multiple times while waiting for mine. The room did not have black out curtains. It just has sheer curtains. That may have just been my room, maybe others are different, but I didn't like not being able to close my curtains. PROS: The price was very reasonable for such a nice hotel. It was an upscale place. The hotel was pretty and very clean. The room was spacious and very accomodating. The bed was very comfortable. I usually do not sleep well in hotels and I slept very well here. The front desk staff were very polite. My friend and I got lost a ton, they gave us maps and help in finding certain places which we really appreciate. And if the manager reads this one, I love that you give the maps out, it's such a huge help and very appreciated. Also, my credit card was charged twice on accident for my stay, and upon check out, the lady at the front desk handled it quickly with no problems.
Summary: I recommend this hotel to anyone who may be in on business etc. The location isn't convenient, but it's a MUCH better price than staying in the middle of everything. Plus, Hampton offers free breakfast whereas most of the others do not.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Although the Hampton Inn is not really near any of the Boston attractions, it is near enough for you to take a taxi to get there. The free shuttle doesn't run that often. So factor in a cab ride. The rooms are Hampton Inn wonderful, with a mini fridge and a comfy couch.
It pays to be a Hilton Honors member, but all guests can get good coffee in the lobby and cookies. Now, that's a welcome mat!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I loved this Hampton Inn. It was comfortable, clean, & modern. Staff was friendly. We took the Shuttle around town on a Saturday afternoon, and it was fine. Breakfast the next morning was not great, but I was hungover & hungry, so it worked for me. There is a little store that is open all night for snacks. It is not a super convenient location if you are taking public transportation, though it was easy to get to from the club we went to. Definitely explore the South End if you stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
PhillipTucker, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Greetings,

My name is Phillip Tucker, General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Boston. I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience, while at our property. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed our property, and will work harder to ensure it does not take a hangover to make our breakfast palatable. We have recently rolled out our daily waffle service, and would appreciate your feedback to see what other things we can do to improve the quality of the breakfast. Please feel free to email me at ptucker@cjhospitality.com.

Again thank you for your feedback and the opportunity of serving you!
kolkata
Reviewed June 6, 2010

we were staying in this hotel for 4 nights, and i can say that it was a hotel which was a lovely surprise for us.
since the facilities are new, so everything about the hotel looks very fresh and clean.
the hotel staff were very friendly, and extremely helpful.
at $179 a night, it was a very well priced hotel.
the hotel is just a mile n a half from the down town area, so they do have free pick ups and drops at regular intervals to various points in the city centre, and also free airport drop facilities, which was very nice and convenient even at a very early hour.
thr rooms of the hotel is very spacious, and toilets very clean. the lobby area is very lively and complimentarty coffee, tea and hot chocolates and even light snacks avalable all day long.
the highway outside, could be a lil noisy , in the nights , with the sirens goin o from time to time.
over all it was indeed a very pleasant and comfortable stay and would highly recommend this hotel to fellow travellers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Greetings,

I hope this response finds you in good health and spirits. My name is Phillip Tucker, General Manager here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here, and grateful for taking the time to share your experience. We are constantly trying to improve our product and service, and wanted to take the time to share some of our upcoming improvements. We will have our corridor renovations completed by the end of July. Yes, we will have new carpet to accompany our recently renovated walls in the guests room corridors. By the end of first quarter 2011, we will have new flatscreen TV's. This combined with to continous training of staff and drive to enhance our guests experience, will make your future stays even better.

Again thank you for your time and consideration, it is greatly appreciated.