“Great Value”

Ranked #60 of 83 Hotels in Boston
W. Granby CT, United States
“Great Value”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Travel for Business but limited for funds? Everyone is these days but the Crosstown Hampton in Boston provides excellent accommodations at a fair price. Free shuttle can get you to downtown attractions in 10 minutes or to the Airport should you need to go. Hotel now has good restaurants near by (w/i walking distance) and public transportation a short walk away. Very accessible to I-93. Stayed here for 3 years and always an excellent experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank David Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Location wasn't the best, but not far by taxi to sightseeing, fenway park, and restaurants.
2 major pluses were the rooms were clean, the beds comfy and the daily FREE breakfast! We stayed 4 days and had a different breakfast spread each day.
The early evenings offered free dinner if you didn't feel like leaving the hotel. They offered something different each night (meet the GM), like "hot dog night", "Taco/fajita night", "Asian buffett", etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gatorval
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The hotel staff was welcoming and helpful from the first minute they picked us up at the airport till they wished us a safe flight home. We were sightseeing in Boston for a few days and needed help navigating the city. The front desk and shuttle staff got us to where we needed to be easily and quickly every time. Also the hotel seemed a home away from home for patients and families of patients at the many medical centers nearby. Your staff showed compassion and caring for each of these families. It was inspiring to watch them interact with the guests. I work for a large hospital outside Philadelphia and understand what these people are going through and how you brighten a small part of the day with kindness and caring. Kudos to all you staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank 909bernadettec
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We planned a trip to the us and booked into the Hampton as most of the central hotels were charging exhorbitant prices.

The first impression was the location which was not great. It's situated on the cross roads of two major roads with the Boston Medical Centre across the road. Secondly it is a good 20 minute walk into Back Bay Area.

Saying that we caught the cab mostly and it is quite convenient for the restaurants and bars along Washington, Shawmut and Tremont.

A big surprise is the free dinner they laid on every night. Alright it isn't gourmet by any means but it was good to have a snack whilst contemplating where to go for dinner.

I would recommend the hotel but as with many of the other reviews, ask for a inside facing room if you can.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm Hilton Honors, and have seen a lot of Hilton properties worldwide. This location is good if you need to be close to Boston's South Station for trains. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport and train station on the hour during the day. There are the usual amenities for a Hampton Inn, including the free breakfast, free wi-fi, some toiletries, etc. If you need close access to Boston Medical Center, it is minutes away. The facility appears nice from the outside, and is Hampton generic, but neat and clean, inside. Limited fitness center - no free weights, and it is a very small room.
This facility seems to have some problems with maintenance and housekeeping. My room was neat and clean, with a king size bed. However, I noticed that the air conditioner did not work, nor did the desk lamp. Everything in the room should have been checked before I arrived, to be sure it worked. I checked the bed, and noticed that there was a really cheap, ill-fitting mattress pad on the bed, and on top of this was a sheet which by its size appeared to be for a single or double bed. It did not cover the mattress pad area, and certainly did not have enough material to even tuck in. Windows do not open in this property, and it was hot and stuffy in the room with no AC. I asked for another room, and was moved to a larger room. Same problem with the bed linen. I asked for a fitted king-size sheet, and was given three double-bed sized flat sheets, I also noticed that the latch in the door for extra security was broken and did not work.
Whatever housekeeping used on the fake wood furniture, it left a greasy slippery yellow coating on it.
After all this, I was tired after a full travel day and went to bed. The mattress was terribly soft, and should have been replaced five years ago. The room was dark and quiet, however, most of the night. Be advised that this property is right next to a major medical facility, as well as one of the city's busy ambulance dispatch centers, and you will definitely hear medical helicopters coming and going, as well as very frequent loud sirens.
During the night, the bill was slipped under the door. When I checked the rate, it was considerably higher than what I was charged for the first room. I told the manager on duty about this, and said I should not have to pay for an upgrade when the hotel put me in a room with so many problems. I also told him about the weird bed linens, and things being broken, and the fact that if I was upgraded, nobody told me it would cost more due to the inconvenience factor to me. He agreed, and very appropriately gave me the night's lodging for free.
While working in my room before checking out, I heard somebody rattling the door, which had a do not disturb sign on it, and then attempts to get the key card into my door lock. I looked out the peephole, and saw a very scruffy male trying to open my door. With no security lock on the door, this was not a comfortable situation. Of course he couldn't get in, but it made me extremely uncomfortable, and I checked out soon after, and reported this to the manager.
The hotel was decent shelter for the night, despite the problems. I did not eat the breakfast, and have no idea of the food quality. I did walk the two miles each way to the Prudential Center for dinner the night before, however, and enjoyed Legal Seafood's fine menu. It seemed safe to walk during daylight, but there were some scary characters the entire way, and lots of trash and garbage along the route. People fixated on smart phones walked into other people, and you need to keep an eye on where you are and what you are doing along Massachusettes Avenue if you want to walk to the Pru Center from this hotel.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and willing to help. They are also bilingual, which is an enviable ability in the travel business. When it came to the housekeeping situation, however, I suspect something got lost in translation, perhaps, as the problem was never really explained or remedied with the bed sheets.
The free shuttle to the airport and train station of course saved a pricey cab ride. However, the driver was surly, and the shuttle van reeked of stale cigarette smoke. The driver did not speak English very well, and kept saying "airport, airport". The three of us in the shuttle told him we wanted to go to the train station, and we eventually got there - but were dropped off two blocks away on a side street, and it was a long two blocks when pulling heavy bags over rough streets and sidewalks, again with some scary people watching.
I might stay at this property again if I needed convenience, and because of the friendly staff. Having to move from one room to another at the end of a long travel day, when very tired, due to problems the hotel management should have been on top of, would make me think twice about a repeat stay.
My room was also next to an "electrical room", and I could hear a faint mechanical humming sound all night long.
Hilton states it will fix the problem, or you get the stay for free, and they are as good as their word. This Hilton property was an oddity in a string of very fine hotel stays recently.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest location possible when you check in. It's hard to get a quiet room due to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NewWorld2C
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The good:

Staff is very helpful. They have maps and can tell you how to get around. Common areas are very clean as was our room. The breakfast was very good and items were replenished quickly. They need to change their brand of tea bags though. You need to use 2 bags to get a decent cup of tea. Coffee is good. Gym was clean, pool looked nice.

The not so good:

The mattresses are like marshmallows. The heater/air conditioning unit in the room is very old and very noisy. The surrounding area is not good. The staff told us we were only several blocks from the subway. We started to walk and felt very unsafe at night. There were people panhandling right outside at the traffic light. We turned around and waited until the next morning to walk to the subway. Although it felt safer in daylight, it is a LONG walk. It's not a "quick 8 minute walk". More like 30 minutes.

The really bad:

The shuttle. I picked this location because of the shuttle to/from Northeastern University and several other places. I was told it only goes to the medical center and Northeastern and if we needed to go somewhere else we could take the subway (with the 30 minute walk each way). I was given a shuttle schedule and was told to call when we needed a pick up back to the hotel. Shuttle worked great going there. We took the 9am shuttle and arrived by 9:15am. When I called at 11:25 am for a return, I was told they would pick us up around 3:30pm. What? We had to wait 4 hours for a pick up? This was a weekday morning. Are they kidding me? Why advertise a shuttle when it really isn't a shuttle. I didn't expect the shuttle to be at our beck and call, but a 4 hour wait? No reason was given when I asked why. I was told to take a cab if I didn't want to wait.

I am a long time Hilton Honors member and this is the first Hilton brand I ever gave a thumbs down to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank boysrus
HamptonGMboston, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to share this candid feedback on your recent stay with us via Trip Advisor. Please know that you satisfaction is of the utmost importance and we will be utilizing your comments as part of our ongoing training to provide exceptional guest experiences. I apologize for the the mismanagement of the situation, and for the fruustration you must be facing as we are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction. We hope you will give us another opportunity to better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction should you return to our area in the future.
Lausanne
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have been traveling for business a party of 2 and stayed in this hotel for 6 nights. Generally nice, clean hotel but considering the location far from everywhere the prices are much too high. Breakfast was average, nothing special, except that it was included in the room price. The internet connection in the room was very slow and many times not available at all.
Airconditioning was very, very noisy. I had to use earplugs to be able to fall asleep.
When I wanted to use my wi-fi connection in the lobby I had to log-in again.
Hampton Inn in Denver was much nicer and about $80 per night, all in, compared to this Boston one for $180/night all in.
I will not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing arrival plaza on 7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business