“Hotel was ok but loved the nearby Chinese Restaurant”

Hampton Inn & Suites Boston Crosstown Center
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I had some friends stay in this hotel when they came up to Boston to visit me. I picked the hotel because of the price and the downtown location. The actual hotel was ok, with decent service. The best part was this new Chinese restaurant that's just a couple of blocks away. We walked over for Dim Sum on Saturday morning and it was delicious!! The restaurant is called Pacific Restaurant and is located at 23 Bradston Street. If you stay at this hotel, make sure to try this place!

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed March 23, 2008

This was one of several hotels listed for a conference that I attended in March 2008. Given that it was at least $100 less than most of the conference hotels and the conference was offering a shuttle to the Convention Center, I stayed at the Hampton Inn.

I drove to the hotel and ended up driving right by it the first time. Crossroads is right -- it is sitting right in the middle of busy Massachusetts Ave and Albany Street -- and I drove right by when I got to the intersection because the writing is very, very tiny near the Albany Street door. Had I been traveling streets away, I would have seen the glow of "Hampton Inn" from the top of the hotel... but that was not the case.

After figuring out that I must have missed it, I managed to get myself to the intersection and find the entrance (which is opposite the Albany Street entrance). The parking garage is located across from the hotel on a small side street. It is a commuter lot, but you can park for $25 a night via the hotel.

The hotel is located near BU Medical Center, which is not the type of area that you can get out and walk around safely at night (plus there really isn't anything around). So you are a bit isolated. I kept my car parked but took the conference shuttle, hotel shuttle, or cab.

The hotel itself is designed as a boutique hotel. I'm not sure what it was before, but there are little touches that indicate they they are trying to be a bit chic (i.e. black and white photographs with catchy sayings). Check-in went fine, but I realized afterwards that my request for a "quiet room" was not granted since I was given a 3rd floor room facing the street. I didn't realize this until later at night and by the time I asked to be relocated the next day, all the rooms were full.

I was disappointed in my room initially, but I can say that they really, really do try to make it a nice hotel. The bed was great, the workspace and free wi-fi were great, the microwave, fridge, and little kitchenette space were great. Aside from the street noise, I ended up liking my room by the third day. Breakfast was not very good relative to hot items or breads, but I was glad for the coffee, fresh fruit, and yogurt options.

As mentioned above, the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle which goes to the waterfront, the Prudential Center, and Boston Common. The driver who works the 2-10 shift was great. He really enjoys his job and looks out for his customers. He's a real honest, hardworking guy... and he'll go out of his way (between scheduled times) to pick up guests.

I can honestly say that I will probably not stay at this Hampton Inn again, but it would be more due to the location than the hotel itself.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank farmview
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We have stayed at the Hamptons Inn & Suites and had a terrible experience. The staff was extremely unfriendly, the room wasn't cleaned for a couple of days and the breakfast was just horrific. We are used to travel quite a lot internationally and are really not too picky or particular about places to stay. It really ruined our stay in Boston. We had informed the manager of our complaints. There wasn't any respons until the day that we checked out. It seemed to be that the staff is rather discriminating.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank HaarlemTheNeterlands
Reviewed March 3, 2008

A southerner, I went to Boston in January to investigate possible medical treatment at Dana-Farber. From the price, I expected I'd be staying at a big-city hotel with muffins or donuts and coffee for breakfast and few amenities. Instead, I found an attractively modern, comfortable hotel, with courteous and prompt no-cost shuttle service to and from the hospital and airport, and a full, hot breakfast available, at no cost, in the morning. A couple of local restaurants delivered reasonably priced dinners that didn't taste like fast food. Staff were pleasant and helpful. A pool and exercise equipment were available (alas, I left my bathing suit at home), as were rental movies and wifi connection. My only regret was not having time to get to the Fine Arts Museum.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed November 26, 2007

the hotel itself was great cute pool area, good restuarant. rooms were great size. very comfortable...only draw back was location...we were told the shuttle would take us to fenway but when we got there we were told it drops you a few blocks away from fenway which would be fine if we were not there with a child in a wheelchair. we ended up taking a cab which worked out fine. all and all great place not a great location

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank deanna5776
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Too bad this hotel is so far away. Shuttle makes it do-able. I would stay here again. Of course staying in town would be better, but price was about $140/night cheaper. Good shuttle personel from airport to all the other places to visit or eat,Pickup every hour. Few times we were too late for the shuttle. It was a $13 cab ride from Quincy Market to hotel. Great bedding.,

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Irene J
Reviewed September 22, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in September 2007 in a king suite. While not large, the room was pleasant and clean with a refrigerator and microwave. The wireless worked well the entire visit. The included breakfast was OK to good, depending on the choices and saved us money and time. The shuttle was great; we used it both for airport transportation and to access the downtown area. The shuttle even took us to the JFK Museaum one morning (also great). The front desk staff were very accomodating. The pool on the 9th floor was very nice. Given the price of Boston's hotels, this one is a good value. My two complaints are 1. the location is away from any attractions/shopping/restaurants (need to use the shuttle or cab) and 2. no safe in the rooms. I would definitely stay here again if needing budget aoomodations in Boston.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple