“Beacon Hill Treasure”

Nichols House Museum
Ranked #122 of 411 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Nichols House Museum's mission is: To preserve and interpret the 1804 townhouse that was from 1885 until 1960 the home of Rose Standish Nichols, landscape gardener, suffragist and pacifist. The house was built by Jonathan Mason and is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. The museum educates visitors by providing a unique glimpse into the domestic life in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries on Boston's historic Beacon Hill.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had 3 historic houses on our list, and Nichols House was closest. We made a good choice. Our docent was very knowledgeable, and gave us a thorough overview of the many topics that this house addresses. Like many, if not most, historic houses, Nichols House is interesting for a variety of reasons--including architecture, context in Boston history, personalities and accomplishments of the owners, construction and renovation details, particular items of historic or intrinsic value, etc-- and each visitor will probably want to know more about a different aspect. In sum--the house is charming, evoking a Boston sensibility that this Midwestern visitor found delightful and informative, and leaves me interested to read more about the family (and especially about Rose Nichols). And of course the neighborhood is fabulous (a special thank you to the Nichols House historian who pointed out several other noteworthy buildings on the block).

1  Thank Janet O
in 15 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 2 reviews

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Small, wee preserved beacon hill home. Original furnishings, books, rugs art just as the family had used it. We were the only two on the tour so we really got to ask questions. Narrow curving stairs take you up two flights so large groups or some handicaps would not enjoy as much. Be sure and download "a mount Vernon street walking tour" from beaconhillonline.com, which gives a little history and guides you through the highlights of beacon hill

1  Thank Annie F
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I really enjoyed the visit. I had a private tour by happenstance and felt warmly received. Knowing a lot of Boston history, I enjoyed fitting the Nichols family into my knowledge. I enjoyed their art and their lifestyle. I always like seeing the insides of historic buildings. I also was allowed to check out the bathrooms and a lot more kind of hidden areas that you are not always allowed to see in historic homes. I recommend a visit and I hope to participate in their other activities.

1  Thank Harriet542
Reviewed September 20, 2013

What a lovely and fascinating place to visit. I learned so much about Beacon Hill and the dazzling coterie of Rose Standish Nichols! My guide, Maureen, was full of interesting facts, knew so much and told the stories so well, I was enthralled. She graciously took lots of time with me (I was the only person on the guided tour at that hour) and made history come alive. A real treat and a slice of old Boston life.

1  Thank Greenie5584
See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The history found in the historic houses and museums in New England remains more attractive to us than cruises or trips abroad. We do day trips. We relish the stories in house museums and have been to most in New England.

On one of the hottest days this summer, after participating in the MFA's fine new architectural walking tour, we boarded the inbound Green Line just outsidet the MFA to the Park Street Station and walked the few richly historic blocks to the Nichols House Museum. What a treat.

The museum was air-conditioned. Although we were not winded or over-heated we were offered seats in the office by the Director while waiting for the next docent. The welcome was warm. The wait was short and worth it.

Maureen, our docent was well-informed. Maureen delivered two hours worth of information during the hour-long tour. She did her job. She had prepare. The few questions that I asked were answered accurately, with confidence and with relevance to the house, its time period and to the culture of the times. The tour was enlightening and we got more than our money's worth.

Any visitor to Boston that wants to understand the people, culture and energy that was and still is Boston will find this tour illuminating, thanks, as always, to the training & knowledge of the management and docents. We highly recommend a tour of the Nichols House, a so easy walk from the State House, or Boston Common or Mass General. We are planning a second visit in the spring.

1  Thank 2RiverRatz