“Near Perfection”

Hostelling International - Boston
Ranked #1 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The best hostel I've ever stayed at. The hostel only opened in 2012, and you can tell - everything screams brand spanking new. The dorm rooms are well designed and comfortable, the common areas are very modern, the kitchen is spacious, the list goes on and on.

Breakfast is included, and includes many options, such as muffins, bagels, bread, eggs, cereal, and many beverage options as well. There is also a small cafe downstairs with more food options.

Location is fantastic, a very short walk from the city's train/bus station, and walking distance to pretty much all the attractions. Tons of eating options nearby, and the neighbourhood is good.

Staff are friendly and very helpful, and there are a good number of free hostel-hosted activities, including a bowling night. Also, the price is reasonable - believe it was around ~$40/night for a bed.

My ONLY complaint would be the wireless - while I was there, it was TERRIBLE, and I was not the only one having issues. Even simply surfing the net was close to impossible at times, regardless of location.

On the whole, this is as close to a perfect hostel as you will get in North America, and I would highly recommend booking your Boston stay here if you're coming to town.

Room Tip: Book directly through the Hostel to avoid the HostelWorld surcharge.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostelling International - Boston

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Generally a really nice hostel. The staff on our arrival were friendly and helpful which continued!
-Amazing all you can eat breakfast from 7:30-11 every morning
-Full equipped kitchen with ovens,microwaves, hot water machine,hobs, cultlery and plates etc and a place to put them after and one of the staff washed them.
-Pool table, games, boards with group activities which they'd organised and helpful things to know like the Museum of Modern Art free Wed 5-9pm!($25 otherwise)
-Also, in a perfect position, really close to Boston Common which had 2 metro lines to take you lots of places, plus near Chinatown which is adorable and has a different metro line which is a plus.

ROOMS
-BIG storage lockers
-Comfy and cosy beds with a little cubby hole to put phone,book, laptop etc with your own light.
-2 pegs per person on the walls, sounds like a little thing but it was REALLY useful
-Always felt like my belongings were safe
-A little noisy if you're in the front and a light sleeper but it depends where your room is. its a big place!

BATHROOMS
- Loads of them and they were cleaned everyday.
-Roomy and well thought out. Lovely showers too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Iain B, Manager at Hostelling International - Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

I'm happy to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciate all the thought that we put into our building. Hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

In a city where hotel prices are regularly $300+, this hostel provides a affordable, clean and well-located place to stay. The hostel is modern and the entire place is spotlessly clean. The location is great - all the major sights and tourist areas are just a short walk away and the "T" (subway) is close as well which provides access to the airport and elsewhere in the city. The breakfast/cooking area is nice and the hostel runs tours and events which are a great way to meet other travelers.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Glad that you loved our location so much! We hope that you come back and participate in more of our great events. Happy travels!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this hostel while attending Parents Weekend at Emerson College. The location could not have been more perfect - just a couple of blocks away. Also walking distance to Boston Common and the T. The hostel offers everything you could possibly want- kitchen, laundry facilities, living room area with flat screen TV, pool table, board games, library, free wireless internet throughout, computers available to rent by the minute, coffee shop in the lobby, free breakfast, organized activities, clean bathrooms (never had to wait!), large in room lockers with space to hang your clothes and store your stuff (bring your own lock or buy one there) and very friendly and helpful staff! The only negative thing I can say is there were some inconsiderate people in the room next to mine making a LOT of noise early one morning and the sound travels right through the air ducts. However, the hostel gives out free ear plugs. I will absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathy447

I'm sorry to hear that you had some disrespectful neighbors during your stay. Please feel free to let us know when that's happening so we can jump right on it. We'd like to ensure that you get a good nights sleep. I'm certainly happy to hear that you enjoyed everything else. We hope to see you here again some day.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

A little more expensive than other hostels I have stayed in, but Boston is an expensive city so it is 100% understandable. I was here with my boyfriend so we stayed in a private room with bathroom, we were pretty surprised, it felt like we were staying in a serviced apartment. Perfect service, felt safe and secure, plenty of washing machines which was so convenient. The staff are all friendly and very knowledgeable of the area, lots of great tips on sights to see and bars/restaurants to visit.
On this trip Boston was the only city I stayed in a hostel, I had come from an expensive Hotel in another city and the value for money/convenience does not compare, the service you get in this hostel is far more genuine than someone who is only being helpful for the money.
Funky place, great for a young crowd and overall a fantastic hostel to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm happy to hear that you had such a great stay. We hope this will make you stay at more hostels in the future... ;)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my first experience of a hostel and i was absolutely gobsmacked. Getting to the hostel is easy from South Station and also if you know the city then the t-line is easy to work out.

The lift was a big help and we stayed in a 6 bed male dorm that had large bunk beds and great storage that would hold a suitcase and had the opportunity to safely store the luggage if you used your suitcase/bag lock. We were next to the window but the noise was never a problem also the blind blacked out the room. Wash facilities were never full and had plenty of space including a map of Boston on the shower curtain.

The free breakfast was great with everything you'd need plus the option to make your own breakfast. It was a great place to meet people too. Boston is an easily walkable city and the front desk is always willing to help with activities. They also organise events to take part in. We went on the Fenway Park tour which is a must and also a bar crawl that took us to Cambridge and made us plenty of friends! Chinatown is round the corner if hungry and The Tam is round the other corner if you get a bit thirsty! I'd also advise the Samuel Adams Brewery Tour as you get free beer and the T-Line back a little tipsy!

Can't say anything bad about this hostel. Secure, storage available, great beds, great breakfast and great staff and activities. Also the newest HI, so worth a look!

Room Tip: Any room will be a good one!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed everything so much, particularly our shower curtains. (Let us know if you want one as we just started selling them at the front desk). Hope to see you again. Happy travels!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I rank this within the top three hostels I've stayed in my life. Certainly you'll find more social hostels, or ones with a better party atmosphere but for a place to sleep, with good facilities, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a hostel which has been renovated to a higher standard.

General aesthetic is great, very friendly staff, good security, comfortable rooms with intelligent design- a light which only lights the path you walk so you don't wake everyone at night. Each bed also has a kind of enclosure where the headboard would be, within which is the plug socket/light, therefore you can recharge your things or turn on the light without worrying about waking others or having your stuff taken at night. Nice kitchen, decent common areas, excellent location. Bathrooms are also nice, very spacious, there's more than enough on the floor. Very occasionally I had to wait about 5 mins to use a shower.

It's hard to fault this hostel, my only two negative points would be that it's quite expensive for a dorm room in a hostel (I mean this generally, not specific to the US or even Boston) - I think the dorm room I stayed in was the most expensive of any hostel I've been or seen advertised (on the plus side for 4 nights I had nobody else in my room with me). Also, as a single traveller I didn't find it the best place for meeting people within the hostel but the organised events were decent enough.
Hopefully I can return some day and regardless of price I can't recommend this place strongly enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our facility. We are working on in-house events to help make meeting other travelers a bit easier. I am glad however to hear that you were able to participate in our events and engage with some other travelers there. We hope to see you again sometime soon.