“Definitely worth checking out.”

Hostelling International - Boston
Ranked #1 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was in the middle of a 13 day East Coast trip and thought "should I stay 6 days at Hostelling International for $320, or stay at a hotel for $1500+?" It was a no brainer for me. Since I was traveling alone and knew I would be spending most of my time out and about, I chose HI. I've stayed at a 5 star Hostel before in Sydney, Australia before so I knew what to expect. HI ranks up there. I opted for a 4-bed dorm. Everything in the Hostel was VERY clean and organized. The bedding was fresh, large lockers and ample luggage space. Although the bathrooms were not in our room, there were 1 right outside our room & 2 more a few steps away. Very clean and fresh towels are available daily. I had to bring my own towel & wash my own dishes in Sydney. Dining room was clean, great free breakfast as well as a kitchen staff that washes the dishes. Staff was great. Very helpful and friendly. Can't beat the location. In the heart of the theater district and just outside of Chinatown. 1.5 blocks away from 2 theaters and a short Metro ride to Symphony Hall to see the Boston Pops. 5 minute walk to Amtrak/Bus terminal.
You can meet lots of interesting people at Hostels. Students, seniors, business people from all around the world. My roommates were from Brazil, Taiwan and South Korea.

Room Tip: Rooms have bunk beds and beds are assigned. Ask for the bottom if you have issues climbing to the u...
There are newer reviews for Hostelling International - Boston

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I chose this hostel after reading many positive feedback here and on other websites as well. Overall experience was very positive and met my expectation. The location is great, only five minutes away from train station. Check-in and check-out process is fast and staff are very helpful. I stayed in a premium dorm for five days and was glad to save $$$ I would otherwise spend on hotels. I had concerns about using shared washrooms before I came but was very impressed by how clean they were. Breakfast was definitely a A+.

The only suggestion I would give is to lower the sound of air conditioner. It was a bit too loud and woke me up a few times at night, but the overall sleeping quality was great.

Room Tip: Choose a bed that is not facing towards the air conditioner.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

First time staying in hostel shared room as a solo traveler so was a bit hesitant, but absolutely enjoyed the experience. The rooms were extremely clean, bathrooms were close to all rooms, great size lockers. So many activities to choose from, staff were very helpful and informative, breakfast and dinners were great value. Great location, near china town for meals and close to subway. I will certainly be staying here again next time I'm in Boston!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We travelled the USA in May and our first stop was Boston. We spent 3 nights at the hostel and we really had a great time.

Super helpful staff and they organise great activities to discover Boston. It can get a bit crowdy but i guess that's the the normal feeling of a hostel :-)

Location is right around the corner of Chinatown and close to the park. We had a 6 bed room which was very clean yet a bit small for 6 people with lots of luggage. Shared bathrooms were great

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the HI within a month of it's opening, and booked a private room. We were incredibly impressed at the room, facilities, incredible value and great location. The private rooms, while basic, are really well equipped with TVs & bathrooms and comfortable double bed with a single upper bunk and included comfortable bedding as well. The desk staff was really helpful and knowledgeable of the local areas, the kitchens/lounges spacious and well kept. The only complaint was that the housekeeping staff was incredibly noisy in the hallways beginning as early as 6:30am- at one point we even had to ask them to keep it down when two staff members were shouting down a long-hallway to one another before 7am. The next day, a housekeeping staff meeting happened outside our door at 8am. Hopefully, they've worked the kinks out there. The group outings all looked diverse and fun. Overall, it was an excellent choice!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ontari-ari-ari0
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent five nights at HI-Boston on a research/conference trip in late May. I thought I would feel out of place getting dressed up every morning, but was pleased to find a number of other guests who looked like they were following a similar strategy. If you're a broke grad student looking to spend some time in Boston on the cheap, this is the place to do it.

I would second any reviews that praise the free breakfast, clean bathrooms, and well appointed bedrooms. Yes, it can be noisy when you choose to stay in a six person dorm and three Euroteens come stumbling in at 3AM, but that is also part of the allure - to imagine that you are still young enough to party with those guys because, hey, you're staying in a hostel.

1  Thank svanatta
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Okay - first and foremost before I begin my review let me mention that I'm writing this as somebody who enjoys living in a hostel more then a hotel, meeting new people, having fun adventures and basically just having memories to look back on when you leave.

I'll start with the positives for a start (and if you are somebody who just wants to come to Boston, do the touristy stuff and leave then this would be a great place to stay). The rooms are VERY clean, my bed was very comfortable (although my friend was staying in another room and all the beds in his room squeaked even if you made the slightest movement, so he was waking up at 7am every morning because it was just too loud). There is like 10 bathrooms (probably more) on each floor so you never have to wait for a shower and it has free pool table, enormous kitchen with literally everything you need, plenty of seating and a large screen TV.

This is all well and good but I travel to make new friends and have fun and the biggest setback to doing this in this hostel is that alcohol isn't allowed at all ANYWHERE in the hostel. You can't go buy a 6-pack and have a few drinks and banter in the common room with other travellers (I'm not talking about getting well off your face) but considering I'm on holiday I want to be able to have fun and not be treated like I was 15 years old and everybody knows alcohol makes everyone a lot more social and basically have a better time. The hostel is also HUGE, almost the entire first and second levels are common areas so everybody is so spread out which makes it even harder to meet people.

We went on the bar crawl on the Friday night which ended up being a lot of fun but since you can't drink at the hostel beforehand it just makes the night so much more expensive since you have to buy all your drinks when you are already out and since most people who travel are on a budget it would be nice if the hostel took notice of that and at least had a smaller common area where people could drink (even if it was only allowed on Friday and Saturday night).

There was also a lot of strange characters staying at the hostel that I've never seen at any other hostel around the world (e.g elderly people and children).

The WI-FI is also pretty bad, it didn't even work some nights.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm on the fourth floor and had a fantastic sleep every night - my friend...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Kelly S, Manager at Hostelling International - Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Hi Dekree,

Thanks for your review. We understand the no-alcohol policy is a bit frustrating for some. It is a policy that has been reviewed over the years and we feel that it is the best decision overall. Luckily we have a bar right next door and several affordable bars in the area. We also try to compensate by providing plenty of activities, such as the pub crawl, to help people meet. We hope you enjoyed Boston and were able to meet some great hostellers!