HI Boston
$386
$356
Agoda.com
1,085 results
All reviewsfree breakfastbed dormhi hostelsouth stationtop bunkindividual bathroomslarge lockerscommon areashuge kitchenfemale dormcubby holefantastic hostelmixed dormyouth hostelluggage storagepower outletsyogurt
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Most definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed at. It's a little bit on the more expensive side but worth it. The hostel has recently been renovated so everything is ultramodern. Bed are the comfiest hostel beds I've slept in and even include REAL DOONAS & TWO pillows! Soundproofing is great and the stuff are lovely. Don't even get me started on the breakfasts... Whatever you what - toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, cereal, eggs, yoghurt - all included. I'll be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Sk1bunnie
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was in Boston for a 2-day conference, in the burbs, on a bus route. Without a car, my hotel options were limited. I hadn't stayed in a youth hostel since my Scouting days, but my only other affordable option would've added another hour to my commute to the conference, so I booked a bed in a 4-bed women's dorm.

The new building had just opened, and everything was very clean. The The Wi-fi worked well throughout the building. Breakfast was included, and it was your standard cereal, toast, fruit, and coffee. The kitchen was open to guests, with pots, pans,and utensils. If you bought food at the local Asian markets, you could eat very cheaply.

My bedroom was a bit hot, and I didn't know how to adjust the temperature. The shared baths have individual showers and toilets. The hostel provided towels and sheets, and the comforters were nice. Everything was very, very clean.

The location is great. It's walking distance to the T, South Station, Boston Common, the Back Bay, the Public Garden, and Downtown Crossing. It's easy to get to from the airport (Silver Line to South Station). It's in the heart of Chinatown, which can be sketchy after midnight. I had to catch the T very early, and I didn't feel unsafe walking around.

I thought I would be out of place as a professional in my 30s, but I wasn't. Most of the other patrons were under 25, but I encountered some families and quite a few elders. Some kind of touristy activity was planned every night, like Fenway tours, bowling, and bar-hopping.

My only real problem was laundry. I arrived in Boston after another trip, and I was running out of clean clothes. The laundry room had 4 washers and 4 dryers for hundreds of people, and half of the machines were broken. I ended up hand-washing my clothes in the sink.

Plus, the front desk staff would not let me change beds. I was originally assigned to a top bunk. I'm a heavy woman, and I had a very hard time getting into and out of the bunk. I asked to be moved to a lower bunk, but they wouldn't do it.

There's nowhere to park, and the nearest garage (Stuart St.) charges $40 per day.

In all, my hostel stay was a good experience. Next time I need solo lodging in Boston, I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Miz_Giordana
Iain B, Manager at HI Boston, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

If you book further in advance and request a lower bunk we will always do our best to accommodate that if possible. Next time you stay, let us know and I can ensure that happens. We can tweak the heat a bit for your too... - Iain

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was actually looking to stay at another Boston hostel but my fiance stayed at this one last year. We rented a private room and the room is nice. It's just as pictured everywhere.

The second floor has the laundry room, pool table, library, and computer stations. I was printing something and the pages came out somewhat janky, so I went downstairs and they were able to print the docs for me. Since today is Superbowl Sunday, they are showing the game downstairs and have FREE PIZZA, WINGS and SODA. I thought that was nice of them to do. There's a Superbowl after party scheduled for later on.

The personnel are super friendly and I must say I am very pleased. This is our first night- of three, but I would definitely stay here again.

By the way, if you need public transportation, you've got it within five minutes in two directions.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MondayTravels
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was on a solo trip to Boston for the weekend in between job interviews. I'm in my late 20s and have stayed at many hostels all around---this by far the best hostel experience I've ever had.

Very trendy, super clean, great security and staff, great bunk bed with down comforter, clean sheets and two nice pillows, facilities all look brand new, in a great location in Boston... not a single complaint about the place.

Would stay here in a heartbeat again and would highly recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: (Sorry, there is no swimming pool, but I got carried away clicking "excellent" for everything and I can't undo it...)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank marvicruz
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My best friend and I wanted to take an overnight trip to Boston. We were originally looking at hotels but quickly found it to be very expensive and we didnt want to spend that much money for only being there less than 24 hours. I found this place and as we have never stayed in a hostel EVER we were hesistant but excited for first time in Boston. So happy we stayed here! Its close and walking distance to everything you want in the Back Bay, Chinatown, Theatre District, and very close to public transit. I like that they had activies going on everyday (Saturday night is club night) so it was easy to make new friends. I would for sure stay here again when I come back to Boston!

Room Tip: If its your first time in a hostel (especially as a woman) choose the 4 bedroom dorm only females.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JelliE_773

I'm glad to hear we have you hooked on hostels! Hope to see you back soon. -Iain