“If you like Jazz” 5 of 5 bubbles

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“If you like Jazz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

On a recent trip to Boston my friend and I stumbled upon this little hole in the wall and loved it. The music was amazing and kept us there late. We couldn't tear ourselves away! It's a really small and there's not a lot of seating and liquor drinks are all $10 a pop with exception of some premium liquors which are more. After the initial shock of a $10 seagrams and soda, the bar tender told me the secret is to skip the cheap liquor and get the good stuff because it's all the same. Also, be aware that there's a minium to run a card. Other than those little details, the place is awesome. I would recommend anyone who likes jazz or wants to live like to locals.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jenmar5283

London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Jazz!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This small bar has a well-deserved reputation for its jazz music, mostly played by graduates of the Conservatory. The bar is narrow, with a performance area at the far end, and not a lot of seating but the atmosphere is really good. People actually listen to the music. No food but feel free to bring in pizza from next door! Go early evening for a pre-dinner drink and do check your bill - mistakes have been known to happen!

Visited May 2012
pjpowers82
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Worth a drink, just one”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were looking for a place to grab a drink before an event at Matthews Arena. We jumped in here and were surprised. It's a hole in the wall, but the music was good. A lot of these reviews say drinks were cheap, I'm not sure what they ordered. $5 beers aren't bad in Boston, but $9 well mixed drinks seemed a little overpriced. The place also had an odd smell, like old gym socks, but I think it was the vent we sat near. It's worth a drink, but just one.

Visited May 2012
Fredericton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wow. Happening spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Sat at the bar, great staff! great music. Very cool, unpretentious and all about the music. Will definitely go again the next time we are in Boston.

Visited March 2012
Bar Harbor, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Will make this a stop every time I'm in Boston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

This Bar/Cafe is a great stopping point after a day of venturing around the Chester Square/Berklee College area of Boston. It's definitely a spot that is all about the music-and holds the atmosphere to boot.

The location is small, and seating is either at tables or at the bar. Drinks are reasonably priced, and our bar tender certainly treated us well. The music was fantastic, I'm not familiar with jazz, but the combination of the performers and the atmosphere made me feel as if I have been a fan for ages. Many of the performers are Berklee music students-so it's really a raw and un-cut sort of experience!

I do recommend finding a spot to sit early. We happened to arrive around 10pm on a Wednesday night just as a table was vacating. I also cannot clearly recommend if Wally's has a food menu-as we only ordered drinks. If you are a jazz enthusiast, and visiting Boston, do make this your first stop!

Visited February 2012