“Wow...I had the luck of the Irish when I found the Onyx!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
gorgeous hudson valley
“Wow...I had the luck of the Irish when I found the Onyx!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We were in town for the Dave Matthews show at TD Garden in Boston. Searched out close hotels to the venue and came up with The Onyx. We were smack dab in the middle of everything! 2 minute walk to the concert, 5 minute walk to Fanuel Hall..great location for us. Parking of course is always an issue in a big city. Valet was helpful with getting our bags out of the car and ushering us into the hotel. We checked in just as the wine hour was ending. I was asked if they could send up some wine to my room, to which I replied, "Yes, please!!!!" Sure enough within 10 minutes, 2 glasses of wine arrived. Our room was a bit small, but we did look out (and into) the office building across the street(yes, don't be fooled, they can see everything you do!!). I loved the window treatments..not the usual hotel curtains, but upscale patterns to fit the boutique feel of the property.
The lobby, although small was inviting, it's great to see people gathered to gather and enjoying what a hotel has to offer. There is a sign on the entry door, to please conserve energy and use the non-electric revolving door instead of the regular doors. (great idea)
Our room was located next to the elevators...I've got to say, I feared for the worse but was actually surprised at how quiet our location was.
Also, big city hotels don't usually have larger rooms, our room was adequate, but I would have liked a larger room. I loved all the thoughtful items in the room. The hotel is as green as it can be....if you've forgotten something, all you need to do is ask. Honestly, they had slipper socks in the room(for a price) if you needed them as well as a well stocked honor/mini bar. Oh when you sign up to be part of the Kimpton loyalty program, they give you, yes, give you I think about $10 to spend on your mini bar...nice touch!
Breakfast was just fine, a cup of tea, fruit and a bagel for me and juice and oatmeal for my husband.
There is a bar just steps away from the hotel, on the way back from the concert, we stopped and got some stuff for back at the room. I've got to saw, I think the hotel was very well thought out in regards to the decorating. It's not your usual Marriott/Hilton properties.. All in all, we had a great time at the hotel and look forward to being there again.....Leopard print robes...c'mon, you gotta love it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Serbian first
RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

If you are valeting your car, prepare for a disaster upon arrival. Two separate cars pulled up at the same time and just over 10 minutes later I was still in my car. After a good 3-4 minutes, a valet sitting in someone's car knocked on the window and told me to leave my car across the street (in front of a loading dock) and he'd take care of it. Before I could explain to him that I wasn't comfortable just leaving my car on a side street of Boston he was gone. So I sat in my car in front waiting for SOMEONE to come and finally I saw a doorman so I got out and just dealt with him and eventually he took the keys.

Check-in was smooth and the staff was great. The room was small but a typical big city room. The bed was VERY comfortable.

We took advantage of the free "wine hour" which was a great feature. My girlfriend ordered a martini so there was a small bill. At 6:15 we were told if we weren't ordering food we'd have to leave our table - not great but understood.

You could hear the drunks outside during the course of the night. Not fun but absent some thicker windows nothing anybody can do.

The next morning the breakfast buffet was sufficient. They have a security guard at breakfast - weird. They automatically add gratuity to your bill which is weird considering the ONLY thing the staff did was clear your plate. They don't even do the coffee, it's ALL self serve. I had my credit card sticking out of the check for over 5 minutes and at one point held it up for the "waiter" to get it - he walked by, looked right at it and kept going.

Checkout was smooth but DEFINITELY call ahead for your car from valet. They were hustling and the front desk staff were keeping them on their toes but just due to the sheer number of people checking out there was a 15-20 minute wait. This one you can't fault valet for.

For the price I paid I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Hebron, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

In picking our hotel for this particular stay, the number one thing we were looking for was a pet friendly hotel. We could not be happier that selected this one. It was a smaller hotel, that had a very chic and trendy look to it and was perfectly located. It was an even bigger bonus that seeing we were in town for a Celtics game, the hotel was literally a 5 minute (if that) walk to the TD Garden.
Because of the snow and the amount of cars on the street, it was a little confusing to find the valet at first, but after a second trip around the block we found it. It was $42 to valet but well worth it.
Check in was very quick and the front desk attendants were extremely friendly. They treated not only my husband and I as welcomed guests, but also our 5 month old puppy. They even provided a dog walking service and took our puppy out for us while we were at the game.
The room was a little smaller than I thought it would be, but was spotless and had everything you needed. We were pleasantly surprised a high quality, clean, dog bed and bowls for the puppy were provided. Our bed, pillows, and linens were amazingly soft and we slept great. Although there was no way to shut the room door quietly, you heard very little outside traffic or hallway noise.
There were a couple of small downfalls. 1.) The "doggie relief" area is a couple of blocks away. 2.) Other than the mini bar in the room, there are no vending machines. However there is a 7 Eleven with everything you need a 3 minute walk down the street. 3.) Although the atmosphere and selection at the breakfast buffet in the Ruby Room was high, the taste of the food was average or below average. Definitely not worth the $16 per person.
As I mentioned, it is perfectly located and there are many restaurants,and pubs within a short walking distance. We went to McGann's Irish Pub (3 doors down) for dinner and it was SO GOOD and we highly recommend it .
We will definitely be back to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear Treycb,

I am so glad to hear about your great stay (and nights sleep) with us at The Onyx Hotel! Don't you just want to take those bed linens home with you? We hope to see you next time you are in town to cheer on the Boston sports teams! We take all Connecticut fans we can get.

Thanks for taking the time to write about you stay. It is through feedback like yours that we can only continue to improve.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We love the Kimpton chain. They are reasonable, great location and the staff is superb. They really take the time to listen to the guests and go out of their way to be friendly. The Onyx is steps from the Garden but you do not feel you are in this crazy area. Walking distance to Fanueil Hall, Government Center and North End. Rooms are small, but clean and modern looking. Comfy beds and a Wine Hour each afternoon. What more do you need after a day of sightseeing. Great for a winter stay with kids or just a couple.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Cape Cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

In a former warehouse area, the Onyx is one of several boutique hotels that have emerged in Boston over recent years. We have stayed here several times because it is walking distance to our daughter's apartment in the North End, close to Boston Gardens, and walking distance to government center - most of the City's other hotels are located on the other side of Beacon Hill.

Hotel and rooms are small, but smartly decorated and very comfortable. Bed's are "Westin-like" which is what we look for traveling. Staff has been exceptionally professional and welcoming. Rates seem very flexible at this time of year - we paid $129 for a weeknight.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Hi Beachdancer104,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your great experience with us at The Onyx. Maybe you will even start referring to comfortable beds and great customer service as “Kimpton-Like!” I agree with you that the location is awesome, perfect for a nice night out in the North End finished with an Italian Cannoli! We hope to see you for your next visit with your daughter. Thanks again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

We stayed at the onyx for two nights and the location was perfect. We were right around the corner from the TD garden and just a short walk to quincy market and the aquarium. The service wat ans great. everyone was pleasant upon check in and check out. The only thing that you need to remember is that it can take about half an hour to wait for valet to get your car from the parking garage. Our favorite part was the excellent fruit water in the lobby. It was very refreshing and had real and fresh fruit daily. We were very satisfied.

• Stayed December 2010
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

nice staff, terrible location lots of street noise not worth the price

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Sacarajane,

Thank you for taking the time to review the ONYX hotel here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and hope all though you did not like the location that you did enjoy the room and service provided. If you decide to come and stay with us again in the future please feel free to call the hotel and we will ensure a flawless stay. Although we can't change the location we can ensure a quiet comfortable room with outstanding service. We hope to see you again in the future

Regards,