Kimpton Onyx Hotel
$360
$299
  • Restaurant
Boston Marriott Copley Place(Boston)(Great Value!)
$231
$215
  • Restaurant
Omni Parker House(Boston)(Great Value!)
$199
$338
$296
Fairmont.com
  • Room Service
The Westin Boston Waterfront(Boston)(Great Value!)
$239
Westin.com
  • Restaurant
Sheraton Boston Hotel(Boston)(Great Value!)
$229
Sheraton.com
Lenox Hotel(Boston)
$354
$311
Agoda.com
1,501 results
All reviewstd gardenruby roomthe north endportland streetfaneuil hallquincy marketwine hourceltics gameboston gardenwine receptioncomplimentary winewalking distanceau bon painrooms are smallmini bargovernment centerfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Tucked away on a side street, the Onyx is a wonderful gem! We stayed there after a Celtics game. I didn't know that there was a discount for attending garden games, so after I had already booked, I emailed and asked for the lower rate, which I got, no questions asked. It was my boyfriend's birthday, so I also requested the turn down service with rose petals and champagne which was wonderful! The room was quiet, well appointed, but small. This was ok, though. The bathroom was very nice, with Aveda toiletries and robes. The staff was so helpful, offering assistance whenever needed. We walked to the aquarium and the North End, which were very close. A great find!

5  Thank annasmom73
Reviewed February 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while sight seeing in Boston. The hotel is in a pretty good location - only a few blocks to walk before you are on the freedom trail, about halfway along the route.

The hotel itself doesn't look like much from the outside. When walking into the lobby, I had to do a double-take and wonder if we'd come in a back door or something. The hotel's bar is front and center and the check-in is off to the side. It was nice looking, but a bit odd. Not much of a lobby. I personally enjoy walking into a fancy lobby at a nice hotel, and felt that this was lacking.

The check-in staff were so friendly I was amazed. I would have to say this is the most friendly and helpful I have ever experienced in a hotel. I was very impressed.

The room itself was small, but very nicely decorated and very modern looking. It had a cozy feeling to it. The bathrooms were also very modern, and the shower had a curving shower rod, which kept the shower curtain from getting too close to you while showering.

There was one patch of carpet in the entryway that was fraying, which gave the feeling that the hotel was getting a bit worn, but everything was definitely very clean.

The hotel emailed me a survey, which I completed, and noted that my only disappointments were the frayed carpet and the lack of a nice lobby. The following day someone from the hotel had emailed me back to thank me for the feedback and said they were checking into the frayed carpet to have it replaced. That impressed me also - that they care about the comments they receive.

Overall, we found an excellent rate through travelzoo and I was happy with our stay.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank Stacey&Ian
Reviewed January 1, 2006

I stayed at The Onyx Hotel for 7 nights in December 2005 for business. Since I was there for a conference, I spent a lot of time in my room afterward working on my computer. The walls were pretty thick which helps and the street noise was minimal.

The Onyx is in an "Urban Renewal" type neighborhood, which is exactly the type of neighborhood I prefer over highly tourist-filled areas like those near Prudential center (Westin, etc). The T is right up the street and there are many restaurants and ammenities nearby (an Au Bon Pain is located directly across the street, a Dunkin Donuts 3 blocks away, multiple bars/eateries within 3 blocks).

I did have one incident where there was a concert at nearby Fleet Center and drunken guests were throwing themselves against my door at 2:00am and carrying on like they were in a frat house. Management was quick to both acknowledge and apologize for the disturbance.

The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The rooms are averaged-size (for an urban hotel) and very clean and comfortable. Housekeeping gets 5 stars. I had a Deluxe King smoking room, which was located on the second floor. Kimpton seems to be punishing us smokers more and more these days by providing fewer room choices and the worst rooms availale. However, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank wgsNYC
Reviewed December 31, 2005

This was our first stay at a Kimpton Hotel and after reading several posts on TripAdvisor about The Onyx, we weren't sure what to expect. The front desk and doormen personnel were courteous, professional and happy to take care of our requests. When asked about a nearby restaurant, both front desk staff eagerly answered. My husband went searching for a vending machine to get bottled water and one of the hotel staff went into the employee lounge and gave him two cans of coke. My only complaint was that the people staying in the room next to us partied well into the early morning hours. OK, it was New Year's Eve, but still. In all, The Onyx was a cool place to stay and convenient to area attractions.

4  Thank travel4beer
A TripAdvisor Member
Ferrisburg, VT
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Just returned home from the Onyx...

A regular Kimpton guest and a fan of the Marlowe in Cambridge, I decided to give the Onyx a try. Overall, I would have to say that the Marlowe exceeds the Onyx in hotel class, size, service, food, and room quality, the location of the Onyx is much better for spending time in Boston proper.

I found the location to be terrific--a short walk to both the North End (where we had a terrific dinner at Lucca) and Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market neighborhoods, and to the T for farther excursions (though when in Boston, I prefer walking).

I generally stay in the Back Bay, but wanted to explore a different part of the city and the Onyx was a perfect place from which to do so.

About the hotel--

Service--Excellent! Very attentive front desk staff (evening) who were more than willing to call the restaurant to let them know we were coming.

Decor/Quality--The rooms were well appointed and the smallish size didn't bother me. However, the public areas of the hotel (lobby, bar, hallways, etc.) seemed cheap or "faux luxury) and not up to Kimpton standards. The lobby has an awful drop-down foam tile ceiling and the bar area leaves much to be desired.

However overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to travelers looking for a fun, hip, non-traditional hotel with close proximity to the Garden/Fleet Center, North End, Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. If you are looking for a more luxurious Kimpton stay, the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge is your choice.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member