“Great time at the Omni”

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 9, 2005

I really like Kimpton hotels and Onyx was no exception. The room was spotless and modernly decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was great and they provided Aveda products. The staff is really nice. There is a complimentary ride to the financial district in the mornings and a wine tasting (I couldn't make it to that) each afternoon.

I think that there are some people who would not like the neighborhood. It is near the Garden and there were a few unsavory people walking around, but honestly, I was approached by homeless people in many other neighborhoods. I thought the location was great. It is close to the North End, Beacon Hill and Faneuil Hall. The city is great for walking.

The only down side to the Onyx is the size of rooms. There were two people in my room for 4 nights and we used almost every bit of storage.

I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank mcd63
Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed October 25, 2005

Stayed at the Onyx in mid-October for three nights. Arrived at 7 pm and found king room to smell of cleaning products and deodorizing machine running. Called front desk to complain and they immediately gave us another room, which was double/double but it was much larger than king, didn't smell and we weren't about to quibble because they were sold out during our stay. Ate a grilled chicken sandwich in the Ruby Room which was ok but not great. Next morning discovered Au Bon Pain across the street. We brought fabulous croissant and coffee back to the room each morning. Also had lunch at Au Bon Pain. Terrific Pumpkin Soup, ok sandwiches. Didn't see any scary people around hotel but were not out on street after 8 pm. Ate at Anthem an upscale very good restaurant a block from Onyx. Found Haymarket T stop to be close and very convenient. No complaints about desk staff, they arranged for "bridge" for internet access and got us taxis in minutes when we requested them. Location was great - easy walk or T ride to all top spots. Would stay at Onyx again, generally pleased with hotel. But not as nice as Hotel Monaco, a Kimpton hotel in Chicago, which was very impressive.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank Kat43
Reviewed October 25, 2005

Spent one night at the Onyx in mid-October, room was small but very clean and well appointed. I liked the bed. The bathroom was functional, but a little cold. For the most part a typical Kimpton Hotel. There is no HBO on the TV. There is free wine in the evening (for exactly 1 hour) but no cheese, etc. Front desk staff was OK but not overly friendly. The doorman was helpful with suggestions for places to eat and drink. One thing I will mention, when I booked the room I asked for a higher floor,away from the elevator -- I got just the opposite, lower floor right next to the elevator -- maybe it was because I was there only one night, but then again, I am a member of the Kimpton quest loyalty program??? I'm usually in Boston once a month for business and this is the first time I stayed at the Onyx. I may try it again -- not sure, it's hard to tell from just one night.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank printer
Reviewed October 19, 2005

I stayed at the Onyx Sept 27 - 29 while at a conference. What a treat! The room was decorated in wild and fun colors. The bed was sooo comfortable. My room was at the end of the hall and very quiet. The hotel was so close to everything - it was easy to walk to the subway and nearby restaurants. I loved the high speed internet access - and when I had trouble connecting, I called their help desk, who had me zooming around on the internet in no time - and at no cost! I also ordered a massage in my room - what a treat to have those tense shoulders rubbed down by a pro in the comfort of my room. If I visit Boston again, and I hope that I do, this is the hotel I'd want to stay in again.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank joyreneeblue
Reviewed October 16, 2005

This hotel has a lot to offer if they can get a handle on a few things.
The location is excellent if you are planning to use the T for transportation in Boston, less than two blocks from North Station for the T and the commuter rail is easy to get to and a cheap alternative to taxis. It is walking distance to North End and some of the best Italian food in the US. But they are in a neighborhood that is making a comeback so there are some rather scary looking people around.

We didn't even try to eat in the hotel, the pricing was a bit high when there are so many other options in the area.

The house keeping staff was very accomodating for us but they did seem to knock on the door about once an hour after 9 am even with the do not disturb sign out. No turn down service was offered.

The in room yoga is a nice idea but you would have to stand on the bed to do it since there is just enough room to walk around the bed in the room. The fitness room was great if minimal; treadmill eliptical and exer-bike. We both used it at different times and got the impression that very few people actually take advantage of it.

Their materials describe the hotel as "Sexy" this can be translated to mean they like to use red leather accents on everything from the chairs to the wastebins. The room decor was very trendy and I liked it, my husband did not.

The room was small by american standards but there was absolutely no noise from outside (10th floor). And the bathroom was hard to get ready in due to the unusually large pedestal sink, looked great but it is hard to put in contact lenses when you are three feet from the mirror with no counter to speak of to place things on. They did offer a hair dryer that was good and actually dried my hair.

The front desk staff was hit or miss. The evening staff (6pm and later) seemed to be on top of things and was very helpful. The day staff (8am-6pm) was not as good. They regularly had 2 or more staff on hand at any time that seemed more interested in each others weekend plans than the guests waiting for their attention. The day group also seemed to not know where they were in relation to any Boston sights. The doorman was a differnet story, each one did a great job of giving us help with directions, driving and on foot.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank BubbleT4Me
Reviewed October 16, 2005

What I will give boutiful kudos to are two of the Concierges I dealt with (not the weekend staff). I had them set up a great surprise for my companion and they pulled it off without a hitch! Also, the valets are curteous, prompt and pleasant as hell. However, that aside, I will say this. I nearly slipped and broke my bum on the shower and immediately asked for a shower mat (I am sure that somehow makes me an old biddy, but I continue) explaining to the front desk that I fell in the shower (one would think that would scream lawsuit and they would rush a mat right up). They told me "of course we'll have one right up." Twelve hours later, I asked again. And one more time we finally got the mat. One night we called for a wake up call...no such luck. Its a good thing we didn't miss our reservations.

Just a heads up, when you order the Proud to Be In Love package (includes rose petals and champagne) for more than one night...the rose petals are a one time thing on your date of arrival. They charge the same rate for sure, but you don't get the petals on the following nights. I don't understand that, as a matter of fact, the front desk personnel didn't understand that either.

When the day came for us to leave, I tried to print out my boarding pass from the room. No printer available. So I called the front desk and when I asked where I could email my printout for the staff to print for me, the gentleman was obviously ready to be off the phone with me. All he did was direct me to the website to find an email address on the website (thought that might be some kind of common knowledge) I love the Kimpton Brand (and by the way highly recommend the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge Ma for a stay in the Boston area), but somehow they went wrong on this one. I guess I was expecting a bit more from a 4 star hotel right downtown... Small rooms, and mediocre service make this one a "Ehh" on a scale of "Yay" to "Nay."

1  Thank systematicdc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Recently spent 2 nights at the Onyx. The overall experience was excellent. We found the location quite good, being just a short walk from fanuiel hall and a brief cab ride everywhere else. We even walked to Back Bay and found the journey to be extemely scenic. The neighborhood is not pristine but we did not find it to be the negative that some reviewers felt. There are 2 excellent restaurants within a block of the hotel. Our room, though small, was everything you expect from the boutique experience and very comfortable. The availabity of wifi was a nice surprise. The bar/restaurant was quiet and had a limited menu but was adequate for our needs. The on site gym could/should be better. Four pieces of cardio equipment does not constitute a gym for a hotel that appaels to the type of traveler interested in this level of design and style. My only other criticism relates to the staff. Although they were friendly, their level of professionalism and appearance were also not consistent with the design and style of the hotel. These criticisms were minor and did not bother us or negatively impact our experience. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2005