$332
$237
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $311/night.

$189
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of $277/night.

$201
$169
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $217/night.

$259
$231
Doubletree.com
$254
$197
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $305/night.

Omni Parker House(Boston)
$270
$207
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $277/night.

$200
$194
Hilton.com
$239
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $268/night.

$311
$280
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $337/night.

$296
$253
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $313/night.

1,547 results
All reviewstd gardenruby roomthe north endportland streetfaneuil hallquincy marketwine hourceltics gameboston gardenyoga matwine receptionthe penthousecomplimentary winewalking distanceau bon painrooms are smallgovernment center
Reviewed October 16, 2005

What I will give boutiful kudos to are two of the Concierges I dealt with (not the weekend staff). I had them set up a great surprise for my companion and they pulled it off without a hitch! Also, the valets are curteous, prompt and pleasant as hell. However, that aside, I will say this. I nearly slipped and broke my bum on the shower and immediately asked for a shower mat (I am sure that somehow makes me an old biddy, but I continue) explaining to the front desk that I fell in the shower (one would think that would scream lawsuit and they would rush a mat right up). They told me "of course we'll have one right up." Twelve hours later, I asked again. And one more time we finally got the mat. One night we called for a wake up call...no such luck. Its a good thing we didn't miss our reservations.

Just a heads up, when you order the Proud to Be In Love package (includes rose petals and champagne) for more than one night...the rose petals are a one time thing on your date of arrival. They charge the same rate for sure, but you don't get the petals on the following nights. I don't understand that, as a matter of fact, the front desk personnel didn't understand that either.

When the day came for us to leave, I tried to print out my boarding pass from the room. No printer available. So I called the front desk and when I asked where I could email my printout for the staff to print for me, the gentleman was obviously ready to be off the phone with me. All he did was direct me to the website to find an email address on the website (thought that might be some kind of common knowledge) I love the Kimpton Brand (and by the way highly recommend the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge Ma for a stay in the Boston area), but somehow they went wrong on this one. I guess I was expecting a bit more from a 4 star hotel right downtown... Small rooms, and mediocre service make this one a "Ehh" on a scale of "Yay" to "Nay."

1  Thank systematicdc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Recently spent 2 nights at the Onyx. The overall experience was excellent. We found the location quite good, being just a short walk from fanuiel hall and a brief cab ride everywhere else. We even walked to Back Bay and found the journey to be extemely scenic. The neighborhood is not pristine but we did not find it to be the negative that some reviewers felt. There are 2 excellent restaurants within a block of the hotel. Our room, though small, was everything you expect from the boutique experience and very comfortable. The availabity of wifi was a nice surprise. The bar/restaurant was quiet and had a limited menu but was adequate for our needs. The on site gym could/should be better. Four pieces of cardio equipment does not constitute a gym for a hotel that appaels to the type of traveler interested in this level of design and style. My only other criticism relates to the staff. Although they were friendly, their level of professionalism and appearance were also not consistent with the design and style of the hotel. These criticisms were minor and did not bother us or negatively impact our experience. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 5, 2005

Went to Boston for a large conference in September for a few nights. The meeting was at the Marriott Copley Square, and attendees were getting a very good rate and that is a central part of Boston.

However I wanted to try a smaller hotel and had heard of Kimpton, and one of their ads says they try to cater to the woman business traveler (did not experience that at this hotel)

I checked the Kimpton Web Site, Expedia as I always do, and noticed that if one wanted to join the Kimpton Frequent Guest club and earn points and free nights, that one could NOT get this if you went through what they termed a website such as Expedia, Priceline etc.

So I paid rack rate, not the hotwire or priceline as some writers in this review have stated. If I had paid 150 or around that, I would have felt better perhaps at my experience at this hotel.

Will agree with some of the other reviewers.

Service: Great Bellman, and good car valets, but front desk was from fair to good to terrible. Front desk was Not CONSISTENT IN SERVICE and in many cases they had 2 to 3 people standing behind the tiny checkin that were not doing a thing, other then just standing there chatting.

Agree after looking over the Continental Breakfast it just was so so and not worth the money.

Agree that the area is still part gritty and there were derelicts around the place, which was a bit dicey, being a female traveler walking by herself.

Also had the same experience, when on my one free night, asking for a dinner suggestion, that they suggested Legal Seafood and that was it.

My only request from their reservation service was for a smoking room.
The front desk person, even though there were 3 people, apparently did not notice what was on the reservation, and upon arriving in my room, noticed the non smoking signs.

Out of courtesy to future guests, I will not smoke in a non smoking room.

Since it was time for their wine hour, I went down to the lobby, had a glass and met a few other guests, and asked how they liked the hotel. One couple said, neighborhood a bit soso, cute room, liked the price they got on line ($100 a night less then me)

So I went to the front desk, it was only 3 feet away and politely asked if I could be switched to a smoking room. Like one of your reviewers, I was told they were sold out.

So I pointed out that I had paid full rack rate, unlike the couple I had spoken to, and since smoking is not allowed in any restaurants, meeting areas, bars, and the only place one could smoke would be one's guestroom, if they could not do this, I would be checking out, all of a sudden they found me a smoking room.

I liked the new room, it was much bigger, since my first room was the smallest in the hotel, this was at the end of the hall and quiet.

My shower did take 3 minutes to get hot water, and I tried 3 different times of the days I was there, and it always took a while to get hot water.

Would I stay there again, not sure. Like the small hotel concept and I have stayed at other boutique hotels before and liked them better then this.

Would like to try another Kimpton. Had really been looking forward to this, but paying full rate with such a small Kimpton (bar is also the restaurant)
the spotty service and neighborhood as it is at the moment, would give this 3 stars instead of normally 4 or 5.\

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2005

went to boston for 5 days in sept., this hotel was in a great location between beacon hill and the north end. walked everywhere. the north station T was just up the street. the staff was wonderful, the room was clean and very nicely done up. our only complaint was that the windows don't open, so it was either too stuffy or too cold from the air-conditioner, but all in all it was a very positive experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2005

Just returned from my first stay at the Onyx and my results were mixed.

The rooms are pathetically small but wonderfully furnished. Bed, pillows and linens were first rate and with a 10th floor room I didn't hear any street noise. The staff was quite accommodating and friendly, from the gent who parks and retrieves your car to the desk clerk. However, $32 per day to park is a bit much.

The location is terrific. Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market and the North End are both within an easy 10-minute walk and the Fleet Center is less than 2 blocks away. There's a T station close by. However, the area immediately surrounding the hotel has a fair allotment of derelicts.

Beware of the breakfast buffet. Not worth the money. However, about 4 blocks away is a charming cafe called the ETC. Cafe where you can get bagels, eggs, muffins and the usual breakfast fare.

The lobby area and Ruby Lounge are nicely furnished, the elevators are swift, pets are allowed and it is overall an attractive boutique-type hotel. I would consider staying there again but there are finer hotels in Boston.

• Stayed: September 2005