Although I found my room to be clean, comfy and extremely attractive (if a bit small - I barely had room to walk around my king bed), my overall experience was marred by poor customer service. Some examples:
* upon check-in, I inquired about high-speed internet service and was told that an ethernet bridge was recommended for the connection I needed, and that one would be brought up to my room right away. I waited an hour and 15 minutes, and not another word about it. I then called and it became apparent that someone had forgotten, so I requested it a second time and I eventually did receive the ethernet bridge.
* myroom came without (1) a room service menu, and (2) a "do not disturb" sign. After pointing this out when I attempted to order room service, I was told that they didn't have any more room service menus....which seems odd to me. I was told that they'd deliver a "do not disturb" sign.....which they did, finally, on the fourth day of my five-day stay and after multiple requests (a few times I had to deal with housekeeping bursting in the room while I was showering or getting dressed).
*Voice mail in the room didn't work. On several occasions, colleages left me messages but the message light didn't go on until the next day, for some unknown reason. Some messages that were left by a co-worker in an adjoining room never came through at all. Thank goodness for cell phones, or else I would be unreachable. I reported this issue as well, but it was never fixed. Only the message light on one of the two phones in room worked at all.
*several times, I had people call me to tell me that they had to make several attempts to reach me in the room (either they were transferred to the wrong room or a different department of the hotel).
*on the day that I was to check out, I learned that I needed to stay an extra day for the meeting I was attending. I confirmed via the hotel's website on my laptop that rooms were available at the same rate that I was paying, so I called downstairs to ask to stay an extra day. The individual I was connected to told me rather brusquely that it wasn't possible to extend my stay as the hotel was "fully booked." I then pointed out to him that I had actually just checked online, and there appeared to be rooms available, and if it was easier I would just book the room online He then quickly responded with, well, um, okay I just checked with my supervisor and we can accommodate you. I actually laughed out loud.....his response took about two seconds, and clearly he hadn't checked with his "supervisor." All I can figure is that he told me the hotel was full because I was receiving a discounted rate.....in any event, it was really rude, and laughable, when he then tried to cover his you-know-what by pretending to ask a supervisor about availability. I would think that the hotel would be trying to accommodate its guests, not brushing them off.
*during one of the nights of my stay, a weeknight, I was forced to deal with what sounded like a live band in a nearby bar, going on full blast until well after 1m. Not the sort of thing you want to deal with if you are traveling on business and you need to wake early. I don't fault the fact that there are bars nearby, but I was suprised that my room was SO poorly insulated that it truly sounded like there was a live band right inside my room. Ugh! .
*upon checking out, I informed the front desk that a bunch of the calls charged to my phone lacked complete information, i.e., the entire phone number wasn't listed, for some reason. In some places, it just listed the area code, so I had no idea if they were business or personal (makes a difference when you get reiumbursed for one but not the other). I was told that some research would have to be done (?), and that someone would get back to me, so I left my phone number with them since it was clear that they wouldn't be able to figure it out before I left town. After that< i never heard back from them; I had to call them myself about 3-4 times over the course of several weeks just to get someone to clarify my bill. In the end, they weren't able to track down the phone numbers.
*Like others have mentioned, I too experienced trying to get someone to help me at the front desk, and the front desk staff seemed to be more interested in talking with eachother than paying attention to whether guests needed help.
*Not very knowledgable with respect to recommending restaurants and the like.....the best they could come up with was a chain restaurant (Legal Seafoods, which had its best years in the 80s and is overpriced and mostly geared toward tourists).
*I wrote a letter to Kimpton describing some of these experiences, and other annoyances during my stay, and never got even an acknowledgment.
Bottom line: the good - nicely decorated rooms, upscale furnishings, nice touches like robe/slippers and high-end beauty products, convenient location; the bad - multiple technical difficulties, staff that can be rude and unhelpful, noise may be an issue depending upon the location of your room (?); expect to do your own research regarding things to see/do/places to eat (check out the Globe or Boston Phoenix).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimpton Onyx Hotel, a luxury boutique hotel in historic downtown Boston, offers exceptional service in stylish surroundings. This gem of a hotel is situated on a charming side street within walking distance of the Boston TD Garden (Fleet Center), Bunker Hill, the Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall and North Station. The notable neighborhood is harmoniously met with the old-world hospitality of this Kimpton Hotel. The mesmerizing Ruby Room lounge adds to the bejeweled ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimpton Onyx Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Onyx Hotel Kimpton