“Great Hotel, Great Staff, Great, Service, Great Location”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Our family just spent 5 nights in Boston and had a fantastic stay at the Onyx. All the staff were amazing, so welcoming, polite and helpful The staff know the area very well and were excellent directing us where to go weather it was dining, shopping or site seeing. Had an nice surprise was were treated to an ice cream sandwich by the staff which John the manager made up for us.
The rooms are really contemporary and nicely appointed with everything you would need including umbrella. They have 2 bikes in the lobby that are free to use. Took advantage of the bikes and the easy access to take you on the bike path on the Charles river. It's an easy ride to get to Harvard, MIT or Fenway Park. Great way to see the city. The hotel is also close to all the sites like Fanueil Hall, Little Italy, Boston Gardens and all the transportation routes including the subway, trolley routes.

3  Thank Don Y
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Hello Don Y,

Thank you very much for posting such a nice review - it is very appreciated!

I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and I am so so excited that you got the chance to use our complimentary bikes around town. It is such a fun way to explore Boston and I have found its always a unique experience.

I hope you choose to come back to visit us in the future and until then, be well.

Michal Penek

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed August 26, 2014

On our holiday, we visited Washington, New York, Cape Cod and Boston...and Boston was by FAR our favourite - and the Onyx hotel was simply the icing on the cake!
The staff were friendly, welcoming, accommodating...in fact... *KIMPTON HOTELS MANAGERS, IF YOU'RE LISTENING*: These folks are BY FAR the best members of staff I have ever come across in a hotel. Ever. (Including Shadow!!) Seriously, they couldn't do enough for you. My boyfriend and I (after sightseeing all day), had run out of charge on our phones; no problem - chargers were provided. What a service! The staff also have extensive knowledge on the local area and recommended bars and restaurants that we all loved.
And who decorated your rooms?! I fell in love! The rooms were very generous, the beds were so comfy and the bathrooms were well equipped! Not to mention those rather awesome bathrobes! (These touches just add the cherry on top!)
We LOVED the complimentary tea and coffee in the morning, and the wine in the evening.
We live in London but we PROMISE we'll be back to the Boston hotel - and both said that each time we travel to the US, we're going to look out for Kimptons hotels first! And if there's a Kimpton in the pipeline for London - cannot wait! Such a genuinely 'cool' hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Holsk

Hello Holsk,

First of all - I LOVE the topic of your review!

Second, Thank you so so much for this amazing review and for considering the option to come back to us.

I may be somewhat biased, but I have to agree with you regarding the team here - they really are the best and I am truly lucky to be able to work with them.

It sounds like you may be turning into a Kimpton fan, and if that's the case, I would encourage you join Kimpton Karma Rewards, as it has many fun perks and rewards.

Hope to see you amongst our guests in the future,

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Out of the eight hotels on our trip this was by far the best one. Everything was great - clean, modern, friendly, caring, great location - all the staff were great from the desk to the door team. Thank you for helping make our visit to Boston a memorable one.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Glad you had a great visit with us Tim W, hope you choose to come back to us if you are ever in Boston again!

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed in the Onyx for 5 nights in August and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. All the staff made us feel welcome and valued and were happy to answer our questions. We were given good wishes for the day when we left the hotel, and welcomed back on our return by the friendly hotel porter. A very nice personal touch. Thanks are due again to Jennifer on the front desk who, on our departure day, helpfully printed out our flight tickets to Montreal.

I was disappointed that there was no coffee making facilities in our room, but eventually I learned that complimentary coffee is available in the morning in the Ruby Room. It meant having to pull some trousers on, but I guess, at my age, that's not such a bad thing!

There is also a complimentary wine hour from 5 - 6 in the Ruby Room, but we only took advantage of this once, as we were out and about most of the time.

We had breakfast once which was okay, $13 dollars each for continental or $16 for cooked, and there is a convenient bakery/coffee shop across the road. There are a couple of bars along the street which offer food (Porters was our favourite) and the hotel is in walking distance of many of the places you'll want to visit.

Our room, 311, was small, but adequate and had a mini-bar and safe. It was clean and robes were available if we had needed them. It was, however, particularly dark as it looked directly out onto another building only about 6 feet away. I eventually took to referring to it as "Permanent Nighttime", but we didn't complain as we had booked it at a very reasonable price and we really only needed it to sleep.

The air conditioning made that more difficult than it should have been, however. The noisiness itself wouldn't have been an issue if it had been constant, but it kept switching itself on and off in order to regulate the temperature and that really disturbed my sleep which was already all over the place because of the time difference.

Generally, I loved Boston. It's an exciting place, but much less manic than New York and people just seemed a bit more relaxed and friendly. Highlights for me were the whale watching trip, the hop on, hop off trolley tour, wandering around Harvard and watching the Red Sox defeat Houston Astros from the Loge Box at Fenway Park. These are all "must do's" although the way the Sox are just now, I can't guarantee you'll see a victory!.

Next time, I'd probably ask for a brighter room and take earplugs, but the fact that I've used the term "next time" should tell you that overall, we would recommend the Onyx Hotel. Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to return in the near future.

I wonder if Jennifer and co could get us tickets to see the Patriots... ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for a bright room and check the air con noise. Join Kimpton/Karma rewards for free wifi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear DaveKowalski,

Thank you for the in depth review, and appreciate you taking the time to post about your experience with us. I am glad that overall you had a great stay with us, but am really sorry about the air conditioning unit making noise. We are currently going through all the units in the rooms to see if there is anything that can be adjusted to lessen the noise.

A quick tip regarding coffee - while we (as well as all Kimpton hotels) have complimentary coffee and tea in our lobby, we also have in room coffee makers (keurig) available upon request. Should you return to us, or travel to any other Kimpton, you can request a coffee machine to be placed in your room and the supplies will be replenished during your stay. That way, you don't have to get dressed first thing in the morning if you don't feel like it!

Thank you for also deciding that you would consider coming back to us, I hope to see you amongst our guests in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Positives- Really clean rooms , great staff , love the complimentary wine reception. In walking distant to many tourist attractions.
Negatives- Noisy air conditioning. (Although we were compensated for it) Asked for a room with a view but got a view into an office building. ( Not sure if it was the hotel or expedia,com fault for that) Small room.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room not a view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arlene l

Short, Sweet and to the point! Thanks for taking the time to mention the positives and the negatives arlene l!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

This hotel has it all, location, convenience, and the greatest staff possible, from front desk to bell desk. Stayed four nights and the staff was always friendly and accommodating. We only had one issue with a group of very noisy neighbors at night and staff spoke with them both times to tone them down.

The location is about two blocks to TD Garden and Old Town Trolley stop #4, as well as a plethora of great pub-style restaurants. It is about a 10 minute walk to the North End and 15 to Quincy Market. It is clean and has a nice evening wine reception. The breakfast buffet is not complimentary and seemed pretty high priced unless you eat a ton. There is an Au Bon Pain across the street for a reasonable breakfast, but it is closed on the weekends.

Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I joined the Kimpton Club in order to get a few perks, like free wi-fi.
1  Thank roamingnoni

Hi roamingnoni,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the amenities to our location. I agree that we are fairly central to many of the Boston attractions and access to those tat are a bit farther away is easy.

I hope you choose to return to us!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I am a huge fan of Kimpton hotels, and whenever possible I will try to stay in one. They always have really nice rooms, fantastic service, and a splash of personality — all at a pretty reasonable price. I've probably stayed in nearly a dozen different Kimptons, including the Hotel Marlowe just across the river in Cambridge.

The Onyx Hotel has the same quality of service as all the other Kimptons, i.e. prompt, genuinely friendly, and overall just fantastic. However, the rooms and amenities are not as big or as nicely appointed as the other Kimptons that I've been to. While my room was nicely decorated and had a very comfortable bed, there was just barely enough space for me to walk around the bed (and I am a petite woman). The view out my small window was of an airshaft. The gym that the hotel offers just barely fits 2 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines — I was in there one morning with 3 other people, and there literally would've been no more room for anyone else.

I understand that real estate in downtown Boston can't be cheap, and the general manager at the Onyx is definitely doing a great job with what he or she has been given. However, I can't help but feel that Kimpton could've invested a bit more in this property.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Thanks for being a Kimpton Fan jellojello, we always love hearing our guests say they are fans!

I am so sorry that the Onyx did not meet your expectations. We are a bit smaller than some of our sister properties, but promise you that we provide just as much care, love and amenities as all the other Kimptons out there.

I hope that despite our size, you choose to come back to us and give us another shot.