“great location-” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Worth, Florida
“great location-”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

great location, just feet from north station, boston garden, north end, etc. the street is quiet, mostly offices. we slept great here. the room was cozy and quiet at all times. if you want to go out, canal street is the next one over with all of the bars. 5 minutes to the airport via cab and a short walk or subway ride anywhere in the city. staff was super friendly and helpful, we loved the complimentary lime water, morning coffee, and the nightly "wine hour" is perfect to start your night. highly recommend the onyx and will be looking forward to visiting again soon-

Room Tip: we asked for a quiet corner room on a high floor-
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review jetrun4327! It is nice to read that you felt comfortable with our location, our rooms and were able to enjoy wine hour, coffee and other amenities we provide.

Michal Penek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Serbian first
tunbridge wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have just returned from a two week holiday to the States and our 4 days at the Onyx were an absolute highlight. Everything is made very easy. A ten minute taxi journey from the airport and we were being welcomed by very friendly, professional staff who are genuinely interested in making your stay a happy one. We were a family of four and the de luxe room on the sixth floor was adequately sized for us. The bathroom was really spacious and we didn't feel cramped at all. We were given vouchers for " breakfast for a dollar" for two mornings and free wi fi by being members of the Kimpton club which is free to sign up to. Best of all, when the staff realised that the trip was a special one for us they sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries.
The personal touch was increased further by the photo of a loved one already in the room for our arrival. The hotel email you a couple of days before inviting you send one to them.
Another lovely touch is the wine hour at 5pm each evening. However the really special thing about this hotel is the staff. They get the balance just right of warmth and service. The doorman was the friendliest ever. The reception staff were excellent. They have just got the formula right here.
The location is brilliant. The street at first looks underwhelming but in four minutes you are in the heart of the North End in one direction and Beacon Hill in the other.
This is a lovely, trendy, friendly hotel. Exceptional.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
Dear dallys,

Thank you for saying that we were the highlight of your trip! I am so happy we made you feel right at home. The team at the hotel truly love what they do, and enjoy making every person that comes through our doors feel like they just returned to family.

I hope the rest of your trip was a success and hope to see you amongst our guests in the future.

Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed at the Onyx at the end of July beginning of August. Can't say enough about the staff at this hotel. They were friendly and helpful in everyway. If you want to stay in Boston downtown close to attractions and venues, this is the location for you. We could see the TD Gardens from our room and Quincy market was a short 3 block walk. We also went to Fenway park by subway and it was a short walk to the station 1 block from the hotel.The hotel was very clean and comfortable and the free wine our in the lobby was a great extra after a long day of walking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Who doesn't love complimentary wine, right?! Glad you were able to join us for wine hour!

Thank you for the review REMACK, looks like we hit the mark with our location.

Michal
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I recently had a lovely one night stay at the Onyx hotel, and would absolutely consider staying there again. Below is a list of the pros and cons:

Pros:
• Very close to the airport. I got in late at night and I appreciated only having a quick 10 minute cab ride
• Friendly staff
• Cool urban decor. I liked the pops of red and the Wicked pillow.
• Fast room service. I asked for toothpaste and it arrived in 3 minutes
• Tasty food. I just ordered a very simple fruit plate and eggs, but they were delicious and well presented.
• Free coffee in the morning. That was very helpful.
• Fun fluffy robe... enjoyed the leopard print
• Comfy bed
• Good hair dryer and shower head. I tend to be very picky on these two things in a hotel as weak water pressure and blow dryers really slow down my morning routine.
• Close to a lovely path on the Charles river which is great for running or walking. It was a bit hard to find said path (the directions the front desk gave me weren't totally correct) however once I did, it was a really great spot for a morning run.

Cons (just a few):
• The actual street it was on and surrounding streets weren't doing much for me, but it's so close to the action that I don't think it would really matter.
• The business center was frustrating. I needed to print out a few documents and each sheet took over a minute to print. As a result I actually had to extend my session, which ended up making it very costly just to print a few pages.
• WiFi wasn't free. I hate paying $13 just to use the internet for 20 minutes.

And that's it! All in all, I think this is a great option for the price and I'm glad I chose it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I love love love your in depth review of us CallanGreen! It is a great representation of who we are, I couldn't have said it better myself. I am glad you loved the hotel, we love it too (but then again, we are a little biased)...

Regarding the cons you mention - the street doesn't always present in the best way, but it does have a lot of charm and is actually going to be worked on in order to improve its look.
The business center, well, I'm just plain sorry for that experience. It shouldn't have happened period. We are actually considering replacing what we offer in our business center, I think you may have just helped me make up my mind.
Lastly, while there is a charge for wifi, it is completely free if you are a Kimpton Karma rewards member, or join the program even while at the hotel (even if its just for the free wifi).

Hope to see you amongst our guests in the future,
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a fun, funky hotel conveniently located in the heart of Boston. It’s within easy walking distance to TD Gardens, Faneuil Hall, Boston North Station, and a multitude of other attractions – including some great local pubs. With the oversized herringbone print carpet to the large hounds tooth print wallpaper in the bathroom and the bright red Chinese themed dresser, as well as the complementary leopard and zebra print bathrobes, the rooms here are lovely. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom is equipped with a lighted makeup mirror, blow dryer, full sized body wash, shampoo and conditioner that have been specially blended by C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries for the Kimpton Hotels.

This is also a pet friendly hotel and the manager’s adorable dog stays by the front desk. In the main lobby you will find bicycles to borrow if you choose to see the city that way, board games to play, fresh lemonade, iced tea and fruit infused water to sip on. The bar/dining area is quaint and has plenty of seating for your cocktails, and breakfast if you should choose to purchase any meals there. The manager hosts a wine hour from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. nightly in the foyer. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

The only down side is the street noise if a concert lets out from TD Gardens or in the wee hours of the morning when the bars close. My suggestion would be to get a room as high up as you can.

Overall this hotel is a lovely place to stay and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The only down side is the street noise if a concert lets out from TD Gardens or in the wee hours of...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Location
Dear Bridget H,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I really love your description of us as fun and funky :-)

It sounds like you were able to enjoy our wine hour and hope you had a chance to try our bicycles. Shadow, our Guest Services Manager's dog, is always around to say hi - looks like he met you as well!

I'm really sorry that you caught some street noise, we do our best to keep it from affecting our guests.

I hope you choose to come back to us in the future,

Conn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Had a great 3 day stay at the Onyx Hotel this Aug. I travel extensively and the entire staff gave me the best customer service in recent memory. Big up...Mike on the day desk, & incredible service from the night crew Roc & my man Yanni. They were all extremely courteous and not only met all my needs...they went out of their way to exceed expectations of service. Room is small but the beds was so super comfortable it didn't bother me. Shower power was appreciated. Free wine & Sangria w/finger food in the afternoon was a great touch. Good size TV w HD channels is also appreciated.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review Tantus B! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for the shout outs!

Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little boutique hotel! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Very close to the TD Garden arena and train station. Good restaurants close by. Walking distance to many attractions.
My only "negative" comment would be that the room was on the smaller side but decent size for an urban hotel. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed August 2014
Hello JMcD1975,

It seems as though you had a good time while staying with us, thanks for posting!

Best,