“Pleasant, smaller hotel in a quieter location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Pleasant, smaller hotel in a quieter location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Spent a few days here on business. Didn't try the breakfast, had this elsewhere with colleagues. A smallish hotel; on arriving, the reception was clean, the staff welcoming and friendly. Room was a decent size, particular for the solo traveller. Good, firm bed, lots of pillow choices. Air con a tad noisy, but soon got used to it. Woken by bin lorries around 06:00, but you soon notice how clean Boston is - someone needs to do it sometime! Asked for tweezers one morning, receptionist delivered them to my door in about 3 mins! As a base to finish the working day, shower and go out for dinner, I would recommend the Onyx Hotel.

Room Tip: Floor 2, room 206, great. Colleague 2 doors down suffered a great deal of vibration in his room - we...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for the nice review George F, always great to hear our guests perspective!

Michal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Serbian first
Scottsdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

First - the staff was fabulous. Starting with the valet - although we cabbed it in from the airport we were greeted immediately. The front desk was equally as welcoming at check-in, check-out and each time we passed them to go the elevators.

Next, housekeeping and the rooms. We had a basic room (as they were nearly sold out we were happy to get one at all), but it packed in all we needed in a small space. Big sink, hot water was great and they were very clean.

Lastly, location. I read some reviews that it was located poorly - I didn't find that at all. I thought it was perfectly located -- just off the main roads so it was quiet, yet close enough to be convenient. We didn't dine at the hotel as we had plans every night, so I have not comments on that, but the happy hour was great!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Georgene C,

Thank you for posting your experience from your stay with us. I am so happy that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff and our location! And of course, great to see that you were able to take advantage of our wine hour, there's nothing like a little wine at the end of a day...

Argyle, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I am completely charmed by this hotel. From the picture of my mom and me that awaited us in our room (they asked me to email it ahead of time) to our newly decorated, extremely comfortable room to the wine social hour, it was one of the nicest experiences ever. I was on the elevator on my way to an ice machine and a staff member saw me and got off with me to make sure I would find it! I asked for verbal directions and they brought me a printout from Google maps! A housekeeper busy in another room heard us walk by and stuck her head out to say "good morning!" Everything and everyone was like this, every day! The location was 10-15 minutes from many of the best tourist sites. I am so happy I chose this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank ILoveTexas
What an awesome review ILoveTexas, I truly couldn't ask for anything better. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you choose to come back to us when your travels bring you back to Boston.

Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We chose this hotel for its reasonable price and the fact that it was convenient to the train station. We expected clean and small, but we were pleasantly surprised! This is boutique hotel. If a lavish lobby is what you are looking for, the Onyx is not the place for you. That being said, the customer service rivals any 5 star hotel I have stayed in. From the moment we checked in until we checked out, we were treated like honored guests by all staff from the valet to the front desk staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy L
Thank you for the awesome review Betsy L, and thank you for recommending us!

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My daughter and I met for a weekend, JUn6-9th.
1. Location: Perfect for quick ride to and from airport. Quiet at night away from happening area which is great for sleep.
2. Service: Excellent, again. I followed Ms. Penek, the manager, from Hotel Marlowe. She runs another great ship. Always, friendly, helpful and professional.
3. Room: Nicely sized. Very appropriate for a big city hotel. Very clean. Loved the tub. They have the best beds.
4. Price: Very reasonable for right in Boston. Easy to cab, train, walk, etc.
5. Amenties: Free breakfast, wifi, and wine. Need I say more?

I will go back there again.

Lisa
Alpharetta, GA

Room Tip: Try their specials listed frequently.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa T
Hi Lisa T,

Thanks for the review and so happy you enjoyed your time us! Hope you and your daughter had a great weekend together.

I look forward to meeting you in person next time you are in Boston.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel. We're recent converts to Kimpton (love their raid-the-minibar program). The hotel is on a very quiet street, but within a five-minute walk of tons of attractions. You can hop on the Freedom Trail or the Harborwalk nearby, and the TD Garden is SUPER close if you're in town for sporting events.

The hotel has recently been renovated, and the rooms are all decorated very nicely (complete with Boston-style "Wicked" pillows). It definitely feels more unique than the hotel-standard style at most chains. I liked the CO Bigelow bath products. The staff even emailed me ahead of time to ask for a photo of a loved one to put up in the room when we got there.

Free wifi is always appreciated, and the staff were very helpful in providing maps and directions. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and had no issues with street noise. I know some reviews mentioned an issue...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meowsers13
Dear meowsers13,

Thanks for becoming Kimpton Fans, we just love it when we convert yet another guest :-)

I'm glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, including our #wickedsmahtpillow

Hope you choose to come back to us.

Michal.penek@onyxhotel.com
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Staff was super friendly and accommodating. Room was clean, nice and certainly more unique than your standard hotel room. A little small, but for a cool, clean hotel, I'll deal with that. Location is ok. Not far from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, TD Garden and both North Station and Haymarket T stops. Ruby Room restaurant was good, drinks were great. I'd recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to review us Jackie255VT! I am glad you found us to be somewhat unique - we actually strive for that :-)

It's great to read that you enjoyed our amenities, the area and of course our very own Ruby Room.

Hope you choose to stay with us in the future,
Michal